New to all this.... help please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Instralls

Reaction score
My Husband and I are looking to buy a bay window van that is in good condition, we are new to the V-Dub world but having hired one for our wedding car we have now got the bug and want to buy one to enjoy our future together in the V-Dub world.
We are happy to do the interior but aren't any good mechanically or with body work. We like the pop top type as we need as much room as possible with our daughter and our dog.
We are looking to use it for family holidays and weekends away.
We have been to Brighton Breeze and Summer Dubbin for a few chats and ideas and was advised to ask on here...

I would be grateful of any help/advise/suggestions....
Many Thanks in advance :)

Welcome

Feel free to ask as many silly questions as you want, I know I did when I first got my bus.

There are plenty of trustworthy peeps on here in the business of selling buses and will help you find the right one.

Where are you based? What's your budget and more importantly well done for being 8) EARLY!!

Thanks for your message... I am sure I will ask plenty of stupid questions :lol:

We are in Watford, Hertfordshire.
Looking to spend about £7-£10k, but would consider more for the right one :)

We had a split screen hired from Vanilla Splits for our Wedding car, best choice ever...
but looking so far Bay will be more practical.

The_Instralls said:
Thanks for your message... I am sure I will ask plenty of stupid questions :lol:

We had a split screen hired from Vanilla Splits for our Wedding car, best choice ever...

Good choice ;) - and an early bay even better!

Have you decided on Left or Right Hand Drive preferences? LHD opens up the import market for some original buses, and you'll likely get more bus for your money as UK RHD hold a premium (or can have suffered due to UK weather) - though to add Scott Wilson on here imports RHD from warmer climates as well so there's plenty of choice - there's some buyers guides on here that you can go through, sensible things like being suspicious of shiny buses that may be hiding filler without restoration photo's - down to area's that you should check when looking at potential buses

If you like the pop-top then it's westfalia or devon conversions that are likely candidates (unless you want a converted panel van/micro bus if you are going to be customising the interior anyway and don't want/need to stay original) - also slight differences in year model from the 68 to 72 - with things like servo's and disks on > 71 but trade-offs like different wheel patterns and arches on < 71 - and the rear-end of a crossover bus (1972) being that of a latebay with the front of an early bay

My advise would be to sift through the variations and then when you have an idea of what you are after keep an eye out - may also be worth contacting the importers on here (I used Graham from Midland Early Bay) to see if they have or can source the type of bus you then decide on for your budget

All very exciting stuff (can you tell that I'd love to buy another one? :D ) - if any come up around my way then feel free to drop me a PM and if I'm around I'll be happy to come along and take a look with you if that would help? Likewise others here will I'm sure happily assist with as well and answer all and any questions!

lard said:
The_Instralls said:

Good choice ;) - and an early bay even better!

Have you decided on Left or Right Hand Drive preferences? LHD opens up the import market for some original buses, and you'll likely get more bus for your money as UK RHD hold a premium (or can have suffered due to UK weather) - though to add Scott Wilson on here imports RHD from warmer climates as well so there's plenty of choice - there's some buyers guides on here that you can go through, sensible things like being suspicious of shiny buses that may be hiding filler without restoration photo's - down to area's that you should check when looking at potential buses

If you like the pop-top then it's westfalia or devon conversions that are likely candidates (unless you want a converted panel van/micro bus if you are going to be customising the interior anyway and don't want/need to stay original) - also slight differences in year model from the 68 to 72 - with things like servo's and disks on > 71 but trade-offs like different wheel patterns and arches on < 71 - and the rear-end of a crossover bus (1972) being that of a latebay with the front of an early bay

My advise would be to sift through the variations and then when you have an idea of what you are after keep an eye out - may also be worth contacting the importers on here (I used Graham from Midland Early Bay) to see if they have or can source the type of bus you then decide on for your budget

All very exciting stuff (can you tell that I'd love to buy another one? :D ) - if any come up around my way then feel free to drop me a PM and if I'm around I'll be happy to come along and take a look with you if that would help? Likewise others here will I'm sure happily assist with as well and answer all and any questions!

So grateful of your advise, and a lot for us to consider for sure :)
We arent worried about LHD or RHD really... sure we'd soon get used to it... we will definitely call on you if we see any near you, that would be superb!!!
I will start to work on your advice :)

We were in the exact same position as you last year - my one piece of advice is when you view a potential new bus ALWAYS take someone who knows what they are looking at.

We took an expert with us and saved purchasing a complete basket case that looked lovely but was totally rotten.

Good luck with the search - exciting times

StuF said:
We were in the exact same position as you last year - my one piece of advice is when you view a potential new bus ALWAYS take someone who knows what they are looking at.

We took an expert with us and saved purchasing a complete basket case that looked lovely but was totally rotten.

Good luck with the search - exciting times

Wise words.

Latest posts