New to EarlyBay ? Say Hi here ...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Straight up hillbilly from Montana-first bay is this 72...blown motor and some rust. Obviously needs lots of love-and money. More to follow.

Hello all, I've been poking around here for a month or two. Great site!! Here's a shot of my 70 bay. Originally was a 7 passenger but It's slowly becoming a camper. 2110, dells, 3rib with 4.86 r/p
today.jpg

Hiya Firecon and Hiya Speedwobble, a very big welcome to you both. You`ve come to the right website for Early Bays and a couple of dandy looking machines you got there. You guys don`t seem to suffer anywhere near as much as us with the metal termites (rust). Keep us up to date with what`s happening with your busses and even what`s happening on your local VW scene,, shows etc. AND keep them pictures coming :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,And don`t hesitate about joining in,,,, we is quite friendly here :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

Thanks for the warm welcome Ozziedog. We also have the metal termites but I did find a fairly clean bus. I did have to repair the passenger floor, battery tray and corner, and there is some rust in the rockers yet that I may get to this winter. here is a pic of the day i bought it. It had been painted blue over the original Delta green. I removed the blue and sorta fake patina the green to go with the roof. I left the roof as is but satin cleared it.
before.jpg

thanks again, Rob

Hi Rob, that sounds like pretty standard stuff with these busses, cab floors and definitely the battery tray :shock: But overall yours looks a cracker and I particularly like the ``Tough Look`` with the off road knobby tyres. Predominantly most people over here run stock height or lowered to various degrees, mine is mildly lowered and that helps with getting in and out of the garage, stock height causes issues for me with the up and over garage door. Larger tyres would also notch your gearing up a tiny bit and maybe throw your speedo some too which is all good :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, Different is brillyant ;) :lol: :mrgreen:

No real progress to report. Couple of hours of scrubbing and scraping with graffiti remover. Was kind of hoping for the logo to survive, but the previous had sanded more than I expected. Posting this in an effort to force progress before snow flies.
[photobucket] /photobucket].
Engine or parts shopping now.

Laughed when I saw that :lol: :lol: :lol: <<< see! that`s me laughing. I had to whizz up and down to make sure it was the same bus, apart from the scaffold frame tower thingy wotnot gave it away. That looks like a lot of rubbing brother :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Hats off to you bud :mrgreen:

Hello everybody!

Here is ours T2a westfalia -72. All his life have been france and we have owned now 4 years. Previous owner had that 16 years...
Car is almost fully original, fridges have change ( looking original).

This picture is from 2011 and now I started restoring full car. New original colour paint will come and new engine is already waiting ( typ4 ++2L , twin 44mm carbs... ). few pictures
I'm looking also good air suspension setup ;)

Car will continue to be our family camping car with compicamp behind...

I will make building topic later ;)

DSC_0650.jpg

Welcome along Snowman, nice looking bus, get a build thread up if you haven't already, we love pictures here!

A few people on here are running air suspension, mainly with low or slammed rides, I have a front and rear setup waiting to fit one day, but keeping it stock height with a little lift at the rear to level it all out

Cheers

Alistair

Hi

I am new to VW's so please be gentle.
Bought my first one a couple of months ago after wanting one for the last 20 years. Why did I wait till now?.... it's awesome.
It's a 1972 Crossdresser (yes I already realise that is what it will get referred to). I chose her because I wanted the early front end but also wanted disk brakes. Added bonus is the 2L type 4 which I believe is a bit more robust. Also has a pop top (devon) which was must for me. She is fairly solid but will need some work especially interior as there is a rock and roll and not much else.
Looking forward to getting my teeth into it over winter and getting out to some shows next year. i am sure I will be calling upon your vast knowledge, even if it's just trawling through old posts. :)

Hiya BoyceyBay ,, C`mon fella get them pictures up :lol: I think a lot of people get one then wonder why they took so long, it`s all about the smiles per gallon you know. Devon ??? what`s not to like, sounds perfect,, so welcome aboard :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Did anyone mention pictures ,,,,huh?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi All. I am the new owner of my very first classic VW, its a 71/72 crew cab from South Africa. Picked it up yesterday and drove for an hour to get home. and i loved it. It makes me smile when i look at it .

I will do a build thread as things progress. looking for lowering stuff and wheels if anyone selling anything.

Do love a crewcab, 8)

Welcome to the fold!

Make sure you check out the traders section on the website as lots of traders offer discounts to forum members,

Also be sure to check out the parts for sale section on the forum if your searching for bits!

All my best,

Alex

Nice bus, always thought a double cab was the best of both worlds.
Tried to get one before I left SA and they became to expensive.(way back)
Welcome , we love pic's and above all enjoy the ride.

J & P
:D :D :D

Cheers Ozziedog. Flaws is probably the wrong word. Just a list of niggles that I want to sort. Most of them I would need to point out for the casual observer to know they were even there but let's be honest the work will be a never ending rolling list but that is part of the appeal to me.

Latest posts