New to EarlyBay ? Say Hi here ...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been a bit lax with my welcomes lately so I'd like to extend a virtual handshake to all our recent joiners - welcome one and all!!!

Keep those piccies coming too!

;)

I said I've had bays for 18 years,I just drive them everything else is a mystery :!: Trying to figure out how to upload some photos after getting complete exterior makeover finished today. :D Anybody goin to bus types this weekend find me (you wont miss me) and offer me some advice on how to upload :idea: Please

Hi everyone, thought I should introduce myself after lurking on the site for a fair while now.

Love all the info that gets posted here - helps me heaps with knowledge and inspiration for my own project

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6585

As redhotchilliwilli said, there is not a huge resto scene for the early's down here, although it appears they are getting a bit more attention at the moment.

Not sure how much posting I will do as I only get so much time for internetting, but will be sure to keep you updated with progress pics at the above link, and will prob need to ask some questions from time to time.

Cheers all, JOSH

Hello everyone, just collected my 1972 Camper "Moose" this evening from nags WolVeK (see post on previous page for a photo) aircooled number 6 , 2 Beetles & 4 Campers, still got 1969 1300 to keep the "new" camper company. :D

Hello everyone :D

I hope this place can provide me with some much needed help.
I have had a '68 LHD Westie for a couple of years but haven't really taken care of it, but now the feelings of guilt are getting to me and I can no longer shirk my responsibilities.
I've had a look around some of the threads and it seems you guys are working at a pretty advanced level :shock: ,
I hope that there is some kindness shown towards the idiots of this world! I am including myself in that group.

Anybody from West Wales on this site?

Senor Burns said:
Hello everyone :D

I hope this place can provide me with some much needed help.
I have had a '68 LHD Westie for a couple of years but haven't really taken care of it, but now the feelings of guilt are getting to me and I can no longer shirk my responsibilities.
I've had a look around some of the threads and it seems you guys are working at a pretty advanced level :shock: ,
I hope that there is some kindness shown towards the idiots of this world! I am including myself in that group.

Anybody from West Wales on this site?

Nice to have you with us, Senor Burns - don't be put off by the advanced level of some of the resto's, there's plenty of more basic stuff going on too! Get some piccy's of your bus up for us to have a look at!

You won't find a friendlier or more knowledgable bunch of folks - you've come to the right place!!

Welcome to all our other new members too! 8) 8)

;)

Hello everybody, I've had my van 3 years now (well about 5 if you count all the welding & stuff to get it on the road)
I've got a 72 crossover with a dormobile interior. It's still very much a rolling project but it's all solid which is the main thing.
I do all my own mechanics & bodywork & I'm pretty much learning as I go along but as I've rebuilt motorbike engines before I don't do too bad as it's just a case of transferring basic ideas from one to another.
Anyway I hope to meet some of you folks around at the shows,

Spider.

hey spider, get some pics of the resto up in the gallery section so we can admire your welding :wink:

welcome to EB 8)

No pics of the resto I'm afraid :roll: :roll: :roll: When I was doing I didn't have a digi camera & the 35mm seemed too much hassle...
I'll sort out some other pics soon & post those tho.
As for admiring my welding there will be plenty of opportunities for that :oops: :oops: :oops: as it needs some under the back wheel arches that I noticed the other day :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hello all..

First Post: Morgan and Heather from Thunder Bay ON Canada...

(you may read this exact post elsewhere..I have some tech quest I am trying to solve :)

Good morning I said to my wife, both of us tired from an all day VW van gettin' experience

Although my wife stayed home to watch the dogs, and a sick cat, I flew out of Thunder Bay to Kenora ON to get our first VW campmobile. It is 325 mi roughly door to door

(not sure if it fits here, my knowlege at this point about vw's is VERY limited) I drove home in a 1973 campmobile...what an experience, the ride home thru the true northern Ontario wilderness was unexpectedly emotional. I was so happily overwhelmed at the sheer joy of driving this van (dang thing handles like new).

Seeing 4 moose, 1 deer, a red tailed hawk, 8-9 turkey vultures on a moose carcaas, and continual vista of rocks trees, lakes, ducks, geese and passing cars...It was everything and more that I thought it would be

The road was sooo much more alive, I got a touch of sun from all the light pouring in every window..I went slow, I had some problems, and I truly feel changed somehow this morning, being better for the experience..

I should say that after driving my suzuki samurai for a year now..driving this vw was like driving around in my favourite chair, I think it rides better than my wifes sunfire! just alot slower

So I am a first time vw owner, fairly good mechanicaly ( have a 51 willys M38 that I put a ton of work into..so it is cool) However I have taken the plunge and thrown all my 350 chevy/slant six thinking out the door...German engineering..wheeeeew that is going to take some getting used to..

I have a very good friend who is a mechanic by trade to help me along, as well as my 81 yr old friend and mentor..who has been a vw guy for a long time..

I would love to post a pic, but I can't find our digital camera anywhere, perhaps because we are moving to a new house this month, and planning to drive this vw down to Southern ON in the next few days...gulp..

That idea has seemed to fry my mind, what am I thinking loading up my wife and dogs and driving 2500 mi..in a strange old/new vw

The van was someones project a couple of years ago..it looks good, not a bondo special (tho there is some there for sure) but it looks to be prof done..new panels welded in, Canadian winters are brutal for salt eating vehicles away.

On to my tech quest (I will post this elsewhere here too)
The bus had sat for almost a year tires cracked, old gas, etc
PO offered to drive the bus two hours from his home in Manitoba to Kenora for a safety inspection..

There is some rot underneath, but all cosmetic, and very fixable ( or soooo I think right now :) all kiding aside the bus is in great shape for its age

The suspension and steering feel like it just left the lot, what ever that felt like, I drove home relaxed and feeling very secure

The engine is where I have trouble

The PO drove the van to Georgia and dropped a valve along the way..He knew a vw shop down there, so they redid one side of the motor, two new jugs ( why he did both and not just one I am not sure) new valves, and the rest on just the one side

The van ran like crap..so fumey and rich smelling..I had to duct tape the top engine hatch closed to prevend co2 poisioning..I was hoping a good highway run and fresh gas would do some good, and it did..the van is driveable and much much better smelling than it was

but it is still quite noticiable, the stink that is, at low speeds..and last night my wife (while sitting in her car behind the vw) got engulfed in a blue cloud of epic proportions, seen by car headlight...

so I wonder if the carbs are out of tune..or my valves on the otherside of the engine need redoing...I will say that cruising at 60 mph ..the van only gets better.

I drove it for about an hour and I noticed a remarkable increase in power and response, that continued to increase as the drive went on..

It drives nice, feels tight and strong..(although I am a poor judge being sooo new to this) but it doesn't hesitate..seems to have good throttle response..

but the exhaust is rich beyond belief

Any suggestions..

Nice to meet all of you..and thanks for your time

Morgan

Hi all,

new to the site, (been a lurker for a while!!). Owned my bus, Ernie, since December last. Hes a 1971 Kombi camper. Beige and pretty stock. Love the scene to bits, people, vans, everything. Will post some pics on the gallery and pick some brains as problemos arise.

Cheers.

EarlyBay said:
Say hello here on this thread ...

Hi folks
Just joined this forum,saw the line up at the Volksworld show, brilliant!
We have owned our 72 cross over since 1989,spent one or two pennys on it over the years
and it looks and goes like a good un,we have travelled thousands of trouble free miles all over this country
going to shows ,annual holidays,or just weekend breaks chilling out useing our bay as it was intended
as a camper.Originally a Danbury conversion , the interior was not good so I rebuilt it in 1990 and it still work very well
as just a two berth ,we are both retired now, so my wife and I will hopefully be spending a lot more time travelling,
maybe we will meet up with some of you guys somewhere , so if you see a couple of old wrinkles in a Sumatra green/
pastel white pop top give us a wave .Our best Regards to you all .

Welcome new forum members.
Morgoon,is your engine sorted now? If you getting blue smoke more noticeable at low speed,maybe it's the rocker covers dripping oil onto the heat exchangers,usually worse when going around corners.Just get some good quality original gaskets and fit them,reset the valve clearances whilst you're there.

essex bay said:
EarlyBay said:

Hi folks
We have owned our 72 cross over since 1989,spent one or two pennys on it over the years
and it looks and goes like a good un,we have travelled thousands of trouble free miles all over this country
going to shows ,annual holidays,or just weekend breaks chilling out useing our bay as it was intended
as a camper.Originally a Danbury conversion , the interior was not good so I rebuilt it in 1990 and it still work very well
as just a two berth ,we are both retired now, so my wife and I will hopefully be spending a lot more time travelling,
maybe we will meet up with some of you guys somewhere , so if you see a couple of old wrinkles in a Sumatra green/

hello, where in essex are you, were in braintree :mrgreen:

essex bay said:
EarlyBay said:

Hi folks

HI!

Have a look at the Danbury threads we have on here and the new Danbury list website.

slammedresto said:
essex bay said:
EarlyBay said:

Hi folks

hello, where in essex are you, were in braintree :mrgreen:

Just thought I would say hi! I am from Vancouver, Canada so I am Canadian eh!! I am not new to vw's but just bought my first early baywindow and I think I am hooked. I have always owned splits busses, type 3's and beetle's. Bought a 70 hardtop westy and love it. I'm gonna have lots of question but will use the search button first!!!

This site looks good, sure beats having to filter out all of the 73-79 van chat on the other sites.

Latest posts