New to EarlyBay ? Say Hi here ...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

New to the site but not new to VW's, here's my van :D

Untitled.jpg

Rebuilt engine in shed over winter, now back on the road

IMG_3648_1.jpg

Good to see the old van's being looked after
Great site

Cheers,

Many a winter hour spent in a shed, better than TV time loosing.

The rebuild was as a result of a jamed valve, (50 mile return trip on three) and a quick fix between camping trips. The quick fix build showed many other bits of the engine had see better days.

This the engine on it's trip to the shed at the end of hte summer

[photobucket]
IMG_3476_1.jpg
[/photobucket]

Thanks for the Poss. comment

Hi all, thought I should probably introduce myself,

My names Adam,

I joined a few months back, so fairly new to the site but not to vans or VW's in general, I've had VW's since I could drive starting with a 68 Bug, then a 73 Bay, then a 73 Bug, and now a 69 Early Bay which brings me to the Early Bay Forum. And I work for The VW Camper Co. Ltd.

I've started a thread in the Gallery for my van if you want to have a look? It will be quite slow progress but feel free to follow the thread

hi all
this is the first time on here
will post some pics of my super slammed 70 bus as soon as it gets back from type2d
paul and the boys are getting the back down some more,
anyone been over there--mines the satin black one
cheers all

Hi guys, joined recently while searching for a van. Now the owner of a 68 :D photo to follow and a few questions! :?

Hi everyone, we bought our first camper in September. She's a 71, California import Westy called Daisy. After a few technical hitches we're now mobile and have been on two camping trips this year. Can't wait to get to know you all.

Hi,

Thought I'd better say a quick hello as I am sure I'll be posting plenty in the coming months! I have a J reg 1971 van that was my Dad's since 1994. He died from a heart attack 5 years ago and despite having zero mechanical knowledge and inability to do my own oil changes, decided that it would be a good idea to restore the van.

With the help from a mate who is useful with a welder, we got it back on the road inside 18 months and drove it 1500 miles to the Munich beer festival and back without it missing a beat. 3 years later and a bit of rust started coming back through the primer, and now I am in the middle of sorting the bodywork out and have most of it in red oxide primer, before I have a go at painting it myself using Rustoleum.

Hope the rust stays away longer this time round!

Hi folks!

Montana here, I'll answer the most common questions I get from every other state here first. yes we have cowboys n indians, no horses are not our daily driver. The few people in my state that have a bus sure love em, me included, I'm workin on getting quite a collection. Most of the finds in my state tend to be rarer for the U.S. models, like they were brought here and forgotten about, good for me though! Awesome devotion on for the early models on this site!! Glad to have found it!

hi all

im new to this site as well, i bought my first camper in november last year, its a california Import Rivi with westy windows i think it is a converted panel van, i live just out side a town called Beccles on the Norfolk/Suffolk border, the interior had seen better days i must say but after spending the winter tiding her up i am now enjoying the journeys out, i have been to the volksworld show @ sandown park, and had a little camping weekend at wallasea essex, the engine is a stock 1600cc twin port with a home made silenser which was fabricated in california.

If anyone from around my area can tell me of any decent clubs etc and if anyone is travelling to Big Bang friday and would like to meet en route? either diss, bury st eds, newmarket or cambridge please pm me

please be warned the bus only does 50 - 55 mph 8)

gninnam

Yep interia as original, upper bunks still in working order.

It dose have an interia I've not see before has two large bench seats which break down to a bouble bed all most full width of van at the lower cargo beck level. Its got no cupboards down the side, just a small one over the engine deck two the one side.

Here a picture of the front, will have to get a picture of the back I would like to see if any one has seen one like this before.

[photobucket]
IMG_1526_1.jpg
[/photobucket]

Hi Pymme,

Sounds like you have the rarer interior - they made two types, the D4/6 and the D4/8.
Most of the interiors I have seen have been the D4/6 such as mine, while the D4/8 I believe has more room, but less storage :D

Luck forward to seeing the rear cargo area pictures :mrgreen:

Hi gninnam,

Here's the internal photos

[photobucket]
IMG_3723_1.jpg
[/photobucket]
[photobucket]
IMG_3712_1.jpg
[/photobucket]
and the tag plate on the dash
[photobucket]
IMG_3729_1.jpg
[/photobucket]

The seat box bases run back and forwards on runners and the backs lift out and fill the gaps to make up the bad
Still have the original curtains and carpets and the seat covers are in not to bad nic. got covers over them in the photo to give them some protection from the kids boots.

I thought this interia may have been a speical request from the original customer but if it is a known type even better

Thanks for the pics.

Doesn't look like an original interior to me which is a pitty :(
Sounds very usefull though so enjoy :mrgreen:

Hi,
Probably the best site/forum I've come across! We've had numerous VW's over the years incl 76 Viking Camper, Polo and nearly every MK Golf. Bit of a VW nut, but currently driving Audi A4 Avant S Line. Anyway, the kids are growing up and after another visit to Stanford Hall, we've come to a decision that another camper is a must and the Audi has to go!
Wife insists it must be ready to go, and with a budget of £10K Max I've concluded that a split is definately out of the question! That's when I thought of an early bay(still cool and more practical), they look better IMHO than later bays and are of course tax free.
So here I am, with my Audi currently on Autotrader and on the hunt for a solid westy. Like the tin-top(especially with westy roof rack!), but the elevating roof might be better as we've got 2 kids.
So hopefully I'll be a regular on this site and if anyone knows of a good westy, let me know! That itch needs scratching again!!

Latest posts