New to EarlyBay ? Say Hi here ...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi all! finally persuade a childhood dream and got myself a 1972 panel van, which has adopted the tempoary name of "rusty" needs some attention and may have dived in at the deep end, eith only owning a t4 before this, but im enjoying every minute of it so far. Will do my best to get pics up asap but have to pre warn you all its in bit of a state at the monment :oops: . Will do my best not to ask silly questions to often :)

kind regards gavin

'allo
. My name is Peter.
I own an early '68 called Bertha. Well, she actually belongs to my wife, Monique who was bought home from hospital as a newborn in the back of Bertha, in a fruit crate. No safety capsules or seats in Bertha back in 71. She grew up going fishing with her grandparents in Bertha. When her grandma got too old to drive we were given Bertha and we bought our kids home from hospital in her. So you can see there is a little bit of sentimental value attached to the old bus.
Bertha is now in the process of being restored back to better than she was new. She is a classic kombi, no rear seats panels headliner etc, so we are giving her a full interior and a specky new engine, paint job, lowering 3.5 inches.
She has a 1600 single port which I am getting fixed up, can't do anything too drastic with the sp, so just going with new doghouse cooler and shroud, electronic ignition, performance exhaust. Just bolt on stuff, the bottom end was rebuilt 12years ago and has only done 13000 k's. I was considering a mild cam, but as this would involve more major surgery, do you think this might be unnecessary? Is the sp torquey enough in the low range?
Not sure if I want to do too much because I might just get an 1800 motor further down the track. Hmmm what to do. Opinions?

Enough talk. Hers some pics. Should be complete by August.

P1020344.jpg

P1020336-1.jpg

P1020327.jpg

restoration014.jpg

001-1.jpg

006.jpg

009.jpg

Hi I'm new to the site look forward to chatting with you all soon :D happy to help with any rust issues you may have.

hi all,,
new to the site and fairly new to the scene.
Last yr the missus spotted a bug for sale and just fell in love with it..A 76 1300,,Anyhow thats what started it all of,,after going to a few shows, i took the plunge and hunted down a camper,, not having the budget to buy a fully documented restored one, i searched for one i could do myself,,ending up with a 73 wesite..
It needs a lot of work :roll:
But being a welder/fabricator i am undaunted :shock: (for now anyway)
so im sure ill be asking some "stupid" questions sometimes so please try not to take pee to much..
dee

big dee said:
hi all,,
new to the site and fairly new to the scene.
Last yr the missus spotted a bug for sale and just fell in love with it..A 76 1300,,Anyhow thats what started it all of,,after going to a few shows, i took the plunge and hunted down a camper,, not having the budget to buy a fully documented restored one, i searched for one i could do myself,,ending up with a 73 wesite..
It needs a lot of work :roll:
But being a welder/fabricator i am undaunted :shock: (for now anyway)
so im sure ill be asking some "stupid" questions sometimes so please try not to take pee to much..
dee

westy796 said:
Hi all...just bought my self a 68 Dormobile also own a 59 Westfalia.

Dave

Hello and welcome :D any pics :D (you'll get asked this quite a lot on here :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Hi

Just joining but had my '69 Westy Californian import a few years. Had fallen out of love and was about to sell but the spark has been lit agin so looking to do a partial resto and then get back out there doing what it was always meant to do!

I purchased a 1969 camper about 4 months blind from about 1000km away.....finally on the rd several thousand $$ later with several thousand more to spend. Bloody expensive hobby to get into if you cant weld etc oh well too late now ;)

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

Hi all im new here but dont have a bay at the moment i had a 72 cross over that needed a full resto but she had to go as we have just had a baby but one day ill get another one

Hi to all the newly registered peeps, some serious lookin busses there :mrgreen: A big big welcome and come in and get cosy all ready for the summer to start :shock: Yeah ,,, like when`s that gonna happen :roll: Anyhow it`s all about getting and keeping them busses on the road so maybe catch you at one of the shows soon :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Just prayin for some sunshine :lol: ;) :lol:

Morning folks! My first time on the site and looking forward to having a look around. I've just joined the early bay scene with a 1971 Devon. Pics up soon! :)

forresteti said:
Thanks Johnny. He's a Hungarian Vizsla (difficult to tell on a black and white picture!) and always on the look out for something more interesting. Hence the hand strategically positioned ready to grab his collar!!

nice one Johnny...fail haha :lol:

Hi all,

After 22 years of owning my Beetle, (which i love and will never part with!) I decided that now i have a family it was time to get something a bit more practical for going away in. The Beetles great for a day trip but just not big enough for weekends away or holidays, so, after a few years of wanting one but not be able to afford one, a good opportunity came my way and so I have just bought a super solid 71 Tin Top Camper. Really happy and got it for a pretty reasonable price too! :D

Got a few bits and pieces to do it but hopefully wont be any major dramas getting through the MOT and then registered. After that, the plans are to slight tickle with the lowering stick, (not slamming it!) set of rims and tidy the interior. The interior is mostly complete. Just missing the sink/Cooker and the cupboard above the bed but it does need a bit of TLC! As it's going to be a daily driver, paint will be left as it is.

Anyhoo, this is it! Hope you like!

718.jpg

722.jpg

724.jpg

My name is Kit. This is my second bus find, both were barn finds and in great condition. I have been in the ghia arena for a while but owned a Vanagon and now decided I prefer buses to ghias. Both finds were in the mountain regions of NE Idaho.
I recently found a "barn find" 1970 Westy and am getting ready to dive in. Hadnt heard of this site but seem to be getting involved. I havent ran M code on this westy but it seems unique and I am just getting to know this Westy. But it seems 100% there. Well, minus wheels. It is sitting on blcoks and the wheels arent anywhere to be found. Well, the keys are missing too. BUT, it seems to be in great shape. Any idea on getting the ignition switch out to get the code gor keys? Thanks looking forward to the instructions out here.......
a2f7efc6.jpg

This isnt a bay, but I just added it to show it.
photo-2-5.jpg

Hello one and all,

I'm Pete (but I guess my username tells you that) and I am now the lucky owner of a beautiful 1970 (i think) bay window. This is a pic of her as she is but unlike many of you, I have no skills and even less time to restore her properly myself so she is in the very capable hands of Johnson Autoworks. I'll post a resto thread soon but at the minute this is the only picture I've got of her! I'm looking forward to many days, weekends or just random drives in her. She's my 4th bus - one we sold very recently to fund a wedding venue but my fiancé was so sad that we had to buy another one!!! :oops: <her :lol: <me!

Hopefully she'll be on the road this Summer and I'll get to meet some more of you in real life after meeting one or two at Stanford Hall this weekend.

Pete

Irishpete said:
Hello one and all,

I'm Pete (but I guess my username tells you that) and I am now the lucky owner of a beautiful 1970 (i think) bay window. This is a pic of her as she is but unlike many of you, I have no skills and even less time to restore her properly myself so she is in the very capable hands of Johnson Autoworks. I'll post a resto thread soon but at the minute this is the only picture I've got of her! I'm looking forward to many days, weekends or just random drives in her. She's my 4th bus - one we sold very recently to fund a wedding venue but my fiancé was so sad that we had to buy another one!!! :oops: <her :lol: <me!

Hopefully she'll be on the road this Summer and I'll get to meet some more of you in real life after meeting one or two at Stanford Hall this weekend.

Pete

Hi Pete,
Welcome :D nice to see another notts lad on here, johnsons turn out a few nice buses, so can't wait to see the resto

Nice little local vw show happening next week

http://www.dubdayz.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A few of us locals camping there :D

Cheers
Shaun

Latest posts