New to EarlyBay ? Say Hi here ...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All! Another seasonal driver from Canada here. After 15 years without a Bus, this summer I bought a 68 panel van which will get a lot of attention for many fun filled kilometres.

2012-10-26180517.jpg

2012-11-05103130.jpg

2012-11-05100750.jpg

Hi All!!!

2nd post here, I was far to keen to ask my questions before saying hello (sorry! :oops: )

Me (Mark), and the girlfriend Catherine have just bought our selves our first ever campervan. It is a 1970 T2 and I believe it to be a Devon (it has a pop top roof), actually collecting it this Saturday. It has lots of work to be done underneith but I cannot wait to get going :)

We hope to fit in to the Early Bay family as if we have been around for years.

I hope to get a resto thread up sometime at the weekend/early next week where you can comment freely and more than likely agree with my dad's opinion of 'that's a lot of work' which I am fedup hearing already!! :D

Nice to meet you all!

Whis (aka Mark)

thfcian said:
Hi All from France,

Newly registered today and thought I'd dive straight in. I have a beautiful 1970 Montana Red Westy called Scarlett, which is in great condition.

I like my vans to be as original or orginal looking as possible as thats wha made us all fall for them in the first place, so none of my vans have been lowered, narrowed, chopped, tubbed or anything like that..

I will endeavour to add a picture soon.

I live in the South of France and moved here to set up a VW Camper hire business amoungst other things, I won't bore you with the details straight away as that's is not polite!

Ian

Welcome to the site...the best for EBers that there is.

We only have one golden rule...it didn't happen unless we see the pictures. :D

Hi everyone

I've just recently joined after purchasing my lovely 1971 early bay Mexican import called Ruby. I've had a couple of Beetles back in my teens and dreamed about having a camper one day.
I've just put her in vw airfix in Wallington for a new gear shifter and bushes fitted and he found a few problems.....left front calliper ceased up, front beam has been cut and re welded for the lower look but not very safe, engine mounts not fitted, the exhaust in a crap state and actually welded to the heat exchangers, which are beetle ones so the cables don't reach:-( it's all gonna cost a fare amount of cash but I got her for a decent price so not too bad I suppose. The good news is that body wise she's a good solid van. I'll put some pictures up when I get her home and start fitting her out. And I'll be out of the shows this year too :)

EarlyBay said:
Say hello here on this thread ...
Cool website, found it & joined it today, I'm from Saskatchewan , Canada . I'll shoot some pics of 70 deluxe on here soon as I can. I'm auto glass glazier by trade and have cut many vw split/ beetle etc. glass and installed many glass on early bays, If I can be help to anyone who has any questions about glass replacement , I'm your guy. Cheers man just having an ice cold molsons.

Stevec said:
Hi everyone

I've just recently joined after purchasing my lovely 1971 early bay Mexican import called Ruby. I've had a couple of Beetles back in my teens and dreamed about having a camper one day.
I've just put her in vw airfix in Wallington for a new gear shifter and bushes fitted and he found a few problems.....left front calliper ceased up, front beam has been cut and re welded for the lower look but not very safe, engine mounts not fitted, the exhaust in a crap state and actually welded to the heat exchangers, which are beetle ones so the cables don't reach:-( it's all gonna cost a fare amount of cash but I got her for a decent price so not too bad I suppose. The good news is that body wise she's a good solid van. I'll put some pictures up when I get her home and start fitting her out. And I'll be out of the shows this year too :)

Welcome - good to see another Surrey Dubber out there :D
Keep us updated on the progress

Koppe said:
EarlyBay said:
Say hello here on this thread ...
Cool website, found it & joined it today, I'm from Saskatchewan , Canada . I'll shoot some pics of 70 deluxe on here soon as I can. I'm auto glass glazier by trade and have cut many vw split/ beetle etc. glass and installed many glass on early bays, If I can be help to anyone who has any questions about glass replacement , I'm your guy. Cheers man just having an ice cold molsons.

Hi, that has to be the coolest sounding place in the world :lol:
May very well be asking for advise on fitting some glass!

Hi All,

I've been reading the forum for a while, but finally became an earlybay owner today!

It's a '72 South African import, picked it up from Bristol docks this afternoon.

Plan is to convert to a camper and hopefully have on the road for a few weekends away with the wife this summer, and longer trips in the next few years.

Haven't had chance to have a good look over yet, but looks pretty solid underneath. It is missing a few bits here and there, and a few scratches and bashes from shipping unfortunately.

Looking forward to getting to work!

I'm in awe of the other restorations in progress on here, and so much helpful and friendly advice.

Hopefully we'll get to meet some of you on the road!

Will (& Jo)

CIMG1433.jpg

Looks nice and solid Will. That's always a good start. Should be an easy project for you.

Enjoy it and see you on the road.

Hello All
thought I'd better introduce meself, been sloping around these pages awhile...
I'm Ed, the bus belongs to Gayle, and I get to fettle and fix it. We've had it since the spring and had a great summer, no tents at last! (our 69 beetle is in storage awaiting lots of tlc now!).

Our new beloved moneypit is a rhd 72 crossover that a po painted candy green and pearl white. Eventually it'll need a refurb but step by step, we'll get there eventually. Just enjoying it for now!

Wave if you see us, Camper(mud)jam, Whitenoise and Busjam so far, plus an 850 mile trip across the channel - hope to do more in 2013.....

Ed and Gayle, Brummy diaspora in Suffolk!
2012-11-03151959.jpg

Hi everyone, love the forum it has really helped me out as I am a complete newbie and have only owned my 71 Westy for a total of 2 whole weeks!

Could anyone tell me dates for meetings and or shows scheduled for next year as I really want to look at what other people have done with their interiors as our is the last part which needs attention.

Hi Volks, im new to the forum but not to Early Bays. Ive had my original paint/original dents 71 lhd Westy tin top since 2006. I have already found the forum a wealth of info. I wish i had found it sooner. Im thinking of treating my bus to a Gene Berg locking shifter do i need to order from Gene Berg direct or are there stockists here in the UK. Thanks in advance for your advice.

BARKING MARK said:
Hi Volks, im new to the forum but not to Early Bays. Ive had my original paint/original dents 71 lhd Westy tin top since 2006. I have already found the forum a wealth of info. I wish i had found it sooner. Im thinking of treating my bus to a Gene Berg locking shifter do i need to order from Gene Berg direct or are there stockists here in the UK. Thanks in advance for your advice.

try this http://www.prowagen.com/GEAR-SHIFTERS/View-all-products.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi Iobie thanks for the info. I have had a look at the site and the Gene Berg shifter they have is non locking. I have sent an enquiry to see if they can do a locking one. thanks again.

AircooledEd said:
Hello All
thought I'd better introduce meself, been sloping around these pages awhile...
I'm Ed, the bus belongs to Gayle, and I get to fettle and fix it. We've had it since the spring and had a great summer, no tents at last! (our 69 beetle is in storage awaiting lots of tlc now!).

Our new beloved moneypit is a rhd 72 crossover that a po painted candy green and pearl white. Eventually it'll need a refurb but step by step, we'll get there eventually. Just enjoying it for now!

Wave if you see us, Camper(mud)jam, Whitenoise and Busjam so far, plus an 850 mile trip across the channel - hope to do more in 2013.....

Ed and Gayle, Brummy diaspora in Suffolk!

Seen you about fella , welcome to Earlybay , Graeme 8)

howdy!
Got me a type 2!built a volksrod,put together a beetle and now this
IMG_1702-1.jpg

looks a bit improved but I haven't taken any new pics
got alla the glass in and have been slowly blocking water entry(waxoyl is a great invention thanks)
more when I got more pics(new tires are on but im scraping all the crap off the beauty rings before I show off)

blacktruck said:
howdy!
Got me a type 2!built a volksrod,put together a beetle and now this
IMG_1702-1.jpg

looks a bit improved but I haven't taken any new pics
got alla the glass in and have been slowly blocking water entry(waxoyl is a great invention thanks)
more when I got more pics(new tires are on but im scraping all the crap off the beauty rings before I show off)

Welcome friend. 8)
I envy The Dry States! UK Blues at the Mo!! :D

Latest posts