New to EarlyBay ? Say Hi here ...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,

Newbie to the site, but after having a very rusty late bay and T25 ( my current drive, gonna miss the space! ) Ive got a 69 Westy coming from the States. Like a kid in a sweet shop Im ordering bits a month before it hits the dock!
Never imported before so love to hear from anyone whos done it and can point me in the right direction bout what I need to do first, registering paperwork, legalities of driving straight out of the dock and any other US related stuff I should know.

Cheers

Lee :D

Lee152 said:
Hi All,

Newbie to the site, but after having a very rusty late bay and T25 ( my current drive, gonna miss the space! ) Ive got a 69 Westy coming from the States. Like a kid in a sweet shop Im ordering bits a month before it hits the dock!
Never imported before so love to hear from anyone whos done it and can point me in the right direction bout what I need to do first, registering paperwork, legalities of driving straight out of the dock and any other US related stuff I should know.

Cheers

Lee :D

Let's see some pictures - it looks like it's the bus bought through thesamba that i missed out

Hi, I am Bane, from Serbia, I'm new here and I have bug 1300 '72 and 75 latebay, but few days ago I bought earlybay panel 71 without engine, I plan to put in 1.8 Type 4. Bus was from German post, and the planed production date was same day as my birthday but 12 years earlier.... :D :D :D

Hi there Bane, nice to hear that you now have an early bay. Let us see how the panel looks now and perhaps a few pictures of it as you change it :mrgreen: So a big welcome to you and your panel van :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Did I mention pictures ?? :lol: ;) :lol:

dscn0259c.jpg

dscn0273t.jpg

dscn0266o.jpg

dscn0284az.jpg

dscn0301jz.jpg

since 1994 its not driving, and look what i have found
dscn0304b.jpg

And here's brothers..
dscn0305j.jpg

This is the engine I plane to put. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=211037335703225" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi everyone
Cherry popping post for me lol
After 5 years of planning we finally got our first bus!
1969 rhd early bay
Will post some photos of Barry soon!

68_early_bay said:
Kenny1975 said:
Hi everyone
Cherry popping post for me lol
After 5 years of planning we finally got our first bus!
1969 rhd early bay
Will post some photos of Barry soon!

Welcome :D

I'm a virgin here too, but had loads of good comments and getting excited about the show season :)

Ay up folks. Bin following this site since I bought my "project" crossover 6 months ago. Now its time to start on the old girl. So giving you the heads up on what should hopefully be an interesting resto thread. Pics will be posted up after this weekend of before and after sandblasting of the bus.

The panel is a beaut, welcome newbies. Had my bus a year now,the guys on here are great if you need any help , or just a general chat. But we all love the pieces in fact really surprised. Ozziedog has been on yet any and all pics welcome we love em

I used to be fast-lane-Matt - but since buying a '68 Dormobile the other week - am definitely slow-lane-matt.

First ever air-cooled car - but second VW - I bought my mums VW Derby back in the '80s.
(Derby is a Polo with a boot if anyone's wondering)

Planning on a road trip this summer to Hampshire, Dorset, Devon & Cornwall - for the last few years we have just
roared down to Cornwall in the Jap-crap, non-stop - but since getting the bus, realise that is no longer an option.

It's a great website - hope sometime soon I'll be able to contribute - and not just consume....

2013-03-1514-11617.jpg

slow-lane-Matt said:
I used to be fast-lane-Matt - but since buying a '68 Dormobile the other week - am definitely slow-lane-matt.

First ever air-cooled car - but second VW - I bought my mums VW Derby back in the '80s.

Planning on a road trip this summer to Hampshire, Dorset, Devon & Cornwall - for the last few years we have just
roared down to Cornwall in the Jap-crap, non-stop - but since getting the bus, realise that is no longer an option.

It's a great website - hope sometime soon I'll be able to contribute - and not just consume....

2013-03-1514-11617.jpg

Hello and welcome :D that's a nice dormobile, anymore pics? (you'll get asked a lot for pics :lol: we like pics :lol: )

Shaun :mrgreen:

hello all, my name is Kirk and i hail from Nova Scotia Canada. i live for all things VW but i have just gotten into my first aircooled. i've had a couple pretty cool VW's in the last 15 years or so and only recently realized my life would never be complete without a bus.
i had a really nice 81 caddy that ended up getting me an offer i couldn't refuse so i instantly started looking for something aircooled thinking that i'd never be able to afford a bus worth having for the money i had to spend.
then i made a phonecall to one of the vw gurus in my area that i've known for a few years just to ask him if he knew of anything within a reasonable distance of me that was worth buying. then came the surprise,he's had a van in storage for the last few years that he had previously spent several years building before getting bitten by the big turbo audi bug.
as soon as he told me he had built it i knew i wanted it . i didn't need to see a picture or hear any details , he's just one of those guys that never does anything half way and i wasn't going to overthink a sure bet .

anyway a few pics

HZNgGQo.jpg

cXxnFsK.jpg

FtEHD5n.jpg

iwQ7adJ.jpg

i did see a few pics before i went to pick it up but half dark cell phone pics didn't tell me that i would be the first person to ever wash it after i had been painted ,driven less than 2000km on his honey and parked in a garage for 2-3 years . i does have some lines shaved off and a few other things that aren't original done to the outside and i am a bit of a purist so those things do drive me nuts but having the wrong antenna in the wrong place is a fair trade for not having to deal with the rust that would be expected on a 40 year old bus where i live .

i plan on being on this site a fair bit and i'm totally open to opinions and idea's so don't hesitate to tell me what you think if i need to hear it (and even if i might not ) .

sorry for the rambling but i'm happy to find a place that loves an old vw as much as i do and i hope to add to the community you have here atleast as much as i take from it

Welcome Kirk,
I'm sure you'll quickly realise that most members need to be locked in a rubber cell, but try and stick around anyway lol.
Your bus looks a little beauty by the way.

Thanks for the welcome

I also joined the samba and posted some pictures looking for some opinions on what it would be worth and whether or not it the fact that the body has been "customized" would kill the value of the bus. So far I've been told that its a bondo bucket with cheap wheels and a rattle can paint job. I would also like the opinions of the folks on here.
For the record the paint cost over $4000 and its audi tri-coat pearl with 3 coats of clear and the wheels are audi fat fives . The van has never needed to have the floor patched and the motor has less than 2000km since it was rebuilt. It will be getting bumpers put on it and proper steel wheels with hubcaps in the very near future.

So what's it worth?

edit : the tint will be going soon . i can't stand tint

Hello all :D just thought I would say hello here although I am not strictly new to earlybay I have been lurking in the background for about 2 years now looking for the right bus for me and the day has eventually arrived . I have just received my bus fresh from Nevada and I am still grinning a week down the line :D :D

O.k so there is lots to be done and being a 68 ( maybe hard to find a few bits ) but I am looking forward to the journey .

Have not decided yet what I will do to her but here's a few pics for now and I am sure I will soon start a resto thread , so I may need to call on your help , advice and guidance at times please .

It's a good solid base to start from , no rot!!!! .........but the previous owner decided to paint over the original paint in some type of house paint :shock:

image_zpsc80591c7.jpg

image_zpscaf013f5.jpg

That little bit of OG paint showing thru on the right of the engine lid is where I managed to get the house paint of . So there could be some hope of exposing the OG .

image_zpse302c04d.jpg

image_zps15ed7f31.jpg

More pics to follow soon

Thanks for looking guys .

Hiya gang, nice to see a few new busses around on the EarlyBay forum. Even better to get some piccys but there`s never enough for this lot,,,,, insatiable springs to mind :mrgreen: This truly is a world wide forum and there must be peeps on here from most corners of the known VW universe by now.
So a fantastic big welcome to one and all, get yourselves nice and cosy and get camera happy to amuse us all on here as we just loves all the pictures :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, He`s back again :mrgreen:

Hi all , phil , i'm new to this site, I from Portugal 8) i have 2 earlybays one in final restoration..
cheers !
Phil

20130206_205909.jpg

Hi there Phil, that is a pretty awesome looking bus, I bet you can hardly wait to get him finished ready for the summer. Maybe it`s a little warmer in Portugal than here in England ,, so here comes summer any time soon !!! Enjoy the summer and the forum.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Don`t blink in England or you`ll miss it :lol: ;) :lol:

slow-lane-Matt said:

2013-03-1514-11617.jpg

Welcome fellow Dormy, nice looking bay there!

Latest posts