New to this game!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tino said:
Unknown 6, the seat belt mount, where does that go, between the 2 front seats?

Oh, and I remembered while going through those pictures that there's a tray with various, what looked like, engine related parts in that I forgot to take a proper picture of.

You can see some of it in this one though:

http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa55/Tinohead/1972%20VW%20Camper%20Van/?action=view&current=IMG_2088.jpg

im no expert... 8)

the seat belt mounting plates are where the belt is attached to the front cab at either outer side of the cab seats at your hip.

those bits are just heat exchanger and exhaust parts.

Mike F said:
Welcome!

I'm not one to advertise JK but I believe they are now selling correct low indicator front panels.

they also sell the little blanking plates to turn the late lights and grill into and early grille.

OLD THREAD REVIVAL ALERT!

Thought I'd post an update seeing as it had been nearly 7 years :!: Unfortunately, there's not much to report :oops:

Long (but not very action packed) story short, the bus has been in Dan's parents barn since these pictures were taken, and basically the only thing that's happened is everything was stripped out from the interior, and all the doors removed. The main reason being that it's a bit of a drive away from where I live and where it's stored isn't really suitable for working in.

I lived in a city centre flat when I got it, and only just moved a couple of months ago. I'm now in a house with the missus which doesn't have a garage but there's definitely room for a decent sized timber garage. The plan all along has been to get going with it as soon as I got a house and garage - which should be within the next few months.

But, I'm debating whether or not I'm biting off more than I can chew. My mechanical knowledge/experience is fairly limited - I've done quite a lot on older Hondas (engine swaps probably the most involved/difficult thing I've done), but I've done very little bodywork (no welding), and basically nothing electrical. My thinking from the start is that I would learn while I went - but I'm wondering if that's a bit optimistic based on the amount of work needed to even get this bus back moving under it's owner power.

So I'm looking for some opinions/advice from those with restoration experience - Should I give it a go, will I end up pouring lots of time and money into it for little return (as in results, not cash return), should I sell it to someone more capable and get a different project which is less involved?

All thoughts appreciated!

Cheers,
Tino

Having taken around 9 years to customise and resto a UK early bay (moved house twice, had 2 kids etc. too in that time frame) if I could have afforded to at the time, I would have bought a rust free US bus as a base for a project and started there. Restoring takes a lot of personal time and is very rewarding but I'd get a professional to do the body work if I had to do it again.

VeeDubMan said:
Having taken around 9 years to customise and resto a UK early bay (moved house twice, had 2 kids etc. too in that time frame) if I could have afforded to at the time, I would have bought a rust free US bus as a base for a project and started there. Restoring takes a lot of personal time and is very rewarding but I'd get a professional to do the body work if I had to do it again.

What sort of experience did you have before you started?

You're asking a question that will get mainly two different answers. Both of which you've answered yourself :lol:

Mechanically and body wise I knew nothing. I'm not stupid and could work it out but there is an awful lot that can go wrong. I was in the same position as you were, we have a UK bus that was sold to me needing around £500 worth of work to get it through an MOT. Take a look at my build thread, it's turned out rather more....

I did all of the out triggers, wheel tubs , wheel arch, sills and probably a few other things my self with no experience what so ever. Fortunately someone I. This forum offered me assistance, it's not been free but he has saved me a bucked load of cash.

However, the main difference being that until he arrived the girlfriend and I were going to be happy with whatever work I did as long as it was safe. It then became a full on restoring making everything as straight as possible and 20 times better than I would ever be able to get it.

With a couple of exceptions I've enjoyed every bloody minute of it. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely times when you wish you could just drive it, and use it, especially with the weather we are currently having. With or without help I've become pretty good at welding, painting, sanding etc and for most people it would be sufficient.

I woudlnt ever get a rust-free US, Australian bus as I appreciated a good brittish model. They are also pretty rare as well and it personally makes me feel good that I have a bus that came from here.

Ultimately only you can really answer the question, but the feeling I have that I have restored/helped restore a bus is great. And it's been one he'll of an experience.

Just my opinions of course :)

We started this on December 2nd 2012, so a fair while ago!

Tino said:
VeeDubMan said:

What sort of experience did you have before you started?

I'd restored a '67 bug before, but that was self taught/VZi/edubs and lots of reading of manuals. Welding takes a while to get the hang of but I found you just need a steady hand and a good ear for that!

I noticed at the time that the replacement panel for the front is the later spec one, with the high indicators. What do you guys reckon, should I sell that on and get one the same as the original, or just go with that?

Is the original front clip completely knackered? You could always go for the "RAT LOOK" if it isn't. Check out that look on this and other sites - can look pretty godam cool 8)

I'll be honest folks, I think I'm leaning towards getting rid of the bus :(

For the past few years I've driven nothing but boring runabouts and I love my cars too much to not get something a bit more fun. I've a lot of experience fixing older Hondas and I could quite easily get something cheap in that area that would be a bit of fun for me.

In an ideal world, I would love to keep the bus and get a wee car as well, but that would involve me having a bigger garage, more money and more time, so in reality, it's a choice between the 2 - and getting a wee toy that I can drive pretty much straight away is the more appealing option.

So I'm wondering what my options are - is this something that is worth any money? I know I got it for free, and I never had the intention of trying to profit from it (which is why I've kept it for 7 years!), but if I can get anything for it, I could put it towards a car so I have to consider it.

I really wish I could keep this but it's just not realistic in my current situation, and I don't want it to rot away when someone with the skills, time and money that I don't have could get this back on the road.

Thanks all.

Latest posts