New to Westies! Old to the Scene!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats a good update, slowly but surely its coming together. Like the use of OG off cuts to get the perfect fit.

What are you going to do to the front panel, as it appears to have some denting? Will you take it up higher?

Nice progress

Gareth

Thanks dude,

I have been meaning to update this thread properly for a while but the joys of running my own business, fitting a kitchen at home, preparing for the birth of our first baby and getting time to play with the bay or the bug seems to make things take so long!

Can't understand why!!??

I was hoping to get an MOT this year!!

Patience is a Virgin! As a wise old woman once told me!!

Matt

That is some really nice repair work your doing there, looks like you started off with a very honest and un-restored van so at least you knew the score with no hidden surprises.

I've just done the front panel inner and outer section on mine. I drilled plenty of drain holes in the inner valance box section just an idea :idea:
Also the drain holes help you to spray the inside of the box section with a rust inhibitor paint then cavity wax as I noticed my schofield panel was just bare metal on the inside :shock:

mike.

She was solid but unfortunately had been hit in the side - I found an inch of filled in some places! :roll:

Thats a fair point - I have still got a fair way to go before I oil her up. Drain holes will be necessary for sure. :roll:

Got busy with it on Sunday - even put off going to W-S-M Cruise!

Set myself the task of sorting the front valance. The valance is in, but I needed to cut some of the original away to get the new to fit and the areas at the sides were full of rust holes. These sections were always going to be compromised by the fitting of the repro metal.....

DubsApril2010002.jpg

DubsApril2010003.jpg

So I cut out the bottom section and tried to get it out in one piece to use it as a template.

DubsApril2010006.jpg

DubsApril2010004.jpg

I then cut some 1.5mm sheet to roughly the correct size and beat it to a pulp.
DubsApril2010009.jpg

DubsApril2010014.jpg

Then trial fitted it.
DubsApril2010015.jpg

I also put the new front panel on to check but also as I wanted to see her with a nose again!

DubsApril2010017.jpg

DubsApril2010018.jpg

DubsApril2010019.jpg

The photos here aren't great but it still shows how I got the slight curve in the rear of it. I found that scoring the surface with the cutting disc gives you a great, straight bend.

Once happy I tacked it in and then made up another section in card first, then in 1.5 sheet metal.
DubsApril2010020.jpg

DubsApril2010021.jpg

DubsApril2010022.jpg

DubsApril2010023.jpg

Then welded this section in. Tried turning up the wire speed and this seemed to make it feel more direct (if you know what I mean!?). Welding is getting better, but still spits like a mule sometimes!!
DubsApril2010029.jpg

DubsApril2010030.jpg

The continuation of the inner valance panel was made the same way and once sorted was welded in place and given a coat or three of primer...hey presto...another day gone!!
DubsApril2010031.jpg

DubsApril2010032.jpg

DubsApril2010033.jpg

DubsApril2010035.jpg

DubsApril2010034.jpg

Got the other side to do next weekend now!!

TTFN! :roll:

Finished the other side of the front valance on Sunday. No picture of the finished article oops!
IMG00148-20100425-1237.jpg

IMG00146-20100425-1225.jpg

IMG00151-20100425-1325.jpg

I know it doesn't look much but took me five hours of messing about...just need to finish up the welding to the rear of the valance and thats another job ticked off my list.

I think I'm going to drill some small access holes in the rear of the front valance so I can 'waxoil' the hell out of it later...

Next on the list;

Finish welding in front steps, front panel, blip up lower door holes, rear corner and sliding door runners.

Then its;

Prep for interim spray job, rebuild brakes, rebuild steering parts, change CV boots, fit engine, fit engine lid, go through electrics and sort any problems, fit glass, refit roof....then MOT :lol:

Not a comprehensive list by any stretch of the imagination...

This is great, love your templates and the welding looks well strong. How close is the repro panel in terms of the pressing where the bumper sits? Can you retain the original pressings below the indicator area's or does this have to come out?

Looking good though, be good to see this when its done

Ha Ha templates :lol: ......I new an A level in Art and Design would pay off!!

After using a mates welder I found that turning up the wire speed quite a way helped! Technique is coming on... :D

The replacement front panel is pretty pants really but its the best I could find. I am hoping to keep as much of the original as possible.

The front had been hit prior to me getting it, the over riders had left marks both sides and the middle had kinked...Might be enlisting the help of a friend for the final fit.....

Latest posts