New Village Fayre Event In The Cotswolds

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TakeLifeEasy

Reaction score
Every year, our village holds quit a large traditional village fayre. This year, the fayre commettee would like to put on a show of some old cars for the vistors. They started this last year with a few old mini's and an Aston Martin and it went down well and was in keeping with our traditional old village. This year, they have asked me to include our 71 westy. So this got me thinking, I wonder if anyone on here would be interested in bringing their van down to include in the show as well?

The farye will be held on 6th August and I am looking into 3 different options for those that maybe interested.

Option 1
Come down in the morning, park up the van enjoy the fayre and have a beer or cream tea (whichever is your preference!) and then head back late afternoon.

Option 2
As above, secure some tickets for the BBQ and live music the village hosts in the evening and head back late evening. We shut the village road off, live music, food, drink, it really is a great evening.

Option 3
As above but ask permission for you to camp overnight in the many fields surrounding us. Camp over night and then head off sometime on the Monday after maybe a convey and cruise around some of the villages very near us (Bourton On The Water, Stow On The Wold, Morton In The Marsh, The Slaughters etc.).

Just trying to guage if anyone would be interested in this if we could arrange something? I assume Option 3 is the one that would be the preference.

So some back ground information -

Village website
http://www.coldaston.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Village location
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&biw=1366&bih=629&q=gl54+3bn&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x487124f4b7799dcf:0x6b03c1ec3cd945b1,Cheltenham+GL54+3BN&gl=uk&ei=uNTYTcKxD8i1hAep_fm5Bg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBgQ8gEwAA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would anyone be interested?

Option 3
As above but ask permission for you to camp overnight in the many fields surrounding us. Camp over night and then head off sometime on the Monday after maybe a convey and cruise around some of the villages very near us (Bourton On The Water, Stow On The Wold, Morton In The Marsh, The Slaughters etc.).

Just to clarify....do you mean head off on Sunday or is the Fayre on the 7th as the 6th is a Saturday?
I'll be on my way home from Cornwall on the Saturday....so got me thinking thats all :msn4:

Cheers
Al

The fayre is on the Saturday. It normally starts about 13:00 and finished about 17:00. The evening normally kicks off about 19:00 and ends about 22:30.

It is looking like I should be able to get a field for people to stay in. There would be no electricity or toilets in the field itself however, we maybe able to leave the village hall open so it maybe possible to use the halls facilities. Still working out what is possible but at a minimum, we would hold a BBQ, buffet at our house in the evening if we cannot secure tickets for the live music in the evening.

cotswoldiver
That is not so far way, where are you living now?

Hi Mark

We might be interested in this a a family, would be up for staying over somewhere as well,

Thats great Graham. I will report back as soon as I have found somewhere to park up the vans overnight. To be honest, the village is so quiet, people could park up in the road and no one would know!

We would certainly put on some food for evening if we cannot get tickets for the evening BBQ and will sort out breakfast.

Right, if anyone is interested in the above, I have secured a field (see pictures below) for those that wanted to stay overnight (obviously the grass would be cut!).

So basically here is the plan -

Turn up between 10am-11:30am (need to get here before the road is closed off).
Park up and display your van alongside other vans and a few classic cars.
Wonder around the village fayre (13:00 - 16:30), have a few beers, cups of tea, home made cakes, ice creams etc.
At the end of the fayre, move the van anywhere into the field you like (I think the vans will be parked up in the same field you would stay in so you don't have to drive far if you have a few beers during the day!).
For the evening, depending on how many want to turn up, we are thinking of doing a buffett / BBQ at our house (1 minute from where you would be staying the night). Then heading down the road for some live music (the road is closed off and we have live band playing on the village green to about 10pm).
In the morning, maybe just head home or we could all tour some of the scenes around the Cotswolds (pub lunch etc.). Open to suggestions.

Just a few points -
The field has to be left as you found it (I do not own the field, it is a neighbours).
There are obviously no toilets in the field although the village hall will be open all during the day to about 10pm and there are toilets in there. The hall will be open again some time Sunday morning.
No electric and no water (but you can get water from us if you bring your water containers).
The village is deadly quiet at night so no late evening parties (otherwise I would be kicked out the village!).
All in all, weather permitting, it should be a really good fun and relaxing day/night out. Great if you have kids and apart from petrol getting here, a free overnight stay.

If anyone is seriously interested, please let me know so we can keep a note on numbers.

IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

Is this still on?

Who's up for it?

Bear's Mum is off doing pony stuff so I'm on my own (well - me and the hairy one).

Yep it is still on so who is up for a free overnight stay in a lovely part of the countryside. The fayre is selling beer!

Beer???!!!

Now you should have started the thread with that!

We not exactly 'show n shine' - more 'scratch n sniff'!

Would love to come over for day anyway.

Come on down and by all means stay overnight in the field if you want. The fayre starts at 13:30 on Saturday so you will need to be here before then as the road gets blocked off to traffic. It finishes at 16:30 and we will do some food for the evening for anyone who comes. We will then down to the evening entertainment (live band) which finishes about 10pm. There will be wine and beer for sale in the evening as well!

For anyone who is coming, just tell them you are part of the classic car display and ask for me, Mark Taber or my wife Christine.

If anyone is thinking of coming, please let me know before hand so we can get the burgers in for the BBQ.

Weather looks like it is going to be great so come on everyone, drive down and enjoy a relaxing day/evening out!

Latest posts