new wide 5 disc conversion....and cheaper than a csp kit!!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thru_a_lupe

Reaction score
theres a guy in my local club goes by the name of dave who has a small engineering company called futbus...
he mainly deals with t25s and syncros but is venturing into bay and split affter market mods....

he has been recently working tirelessly on a wide disc conversion for bays and splits....and its finally ready!!!
AND....its way cheaper than a csp kit which is good news in this currently financial climate.

looks pretty sexy too......not dave..... the conversion kit!!!! :lol:

Wide_5_front_bra_49e3b9de7007a.jpg

the great thing about it which sets it apart is that the hub can be drilled for any bolt pattern.... wide 5, porsche....etc etc
so nomore adapter plates!!!

anyway...more info can be found here....
http://www.futbus.com/Brake-conversion-kits/Wide-5-front-brake-conversion-kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thought you EBers would be interested in this....

also i believe he is now working on and EB/split rear disc kit too......

jp

quite handy seeing as im in paignton to me might pop along and have a chat, been looking at these and seem good value

a rear kit would be nice tho ;)

thru_a_lupe said:
AND....its way cheaper than a csp kit which is good news in this currently financial climate.

cripes :shock: CSP must be expensive nowadays then!

and I'm not sure i'd descrie front drums as 'dreadful', rudimentary maybe but not dreadful ;)

cool, yeah my drums are great until I really need to stop in a hurry then they fade faster than a... faded thing :roll:

800 sheets is a bit out of my price range though. I try to have a rule: anything over £300 has to make me do a sex wee.

Tiki-Al said:
cool, yeah my drums are great until I really need to stop in a hurry then they fade faster than a... faded thing :roll:
it's the hills i struggle with, feel like i'm gonna have to make use of the sand trap at the bottom everytime..... ;)

baron said:
Tiki-Al said:
it's the hills i struggle with, feel like i'm gonna have to make use of the sand trap at the bottom everytime..... ;)

try carrying a rope with a anchor, as you get near the bottom throw it out in the direction of the nearest tree, it works for me :lol:

:lol: @ Ianscooby

but £800 :shock: (when you said cheaper I thought about £400) compared to just over 200 using an adaptor plate.............that's just too rich for my pocket. It does look lovely though :)

I've got a guy close by that does brake conversions for the rally boys, his done work for me previously on my rally cars and I'm sure if we got hold of a csp or similar set up he could make this a lot cheaper

Ha Ha just found him on the net also
http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/Rear_Discs/reardisc.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i have just had dave do some work on my bay 5 x 112. i managed to make the conversion cheaper by sourcing the genuine vag parts myself on ebay then getting dave to do the machine work and supply the bespoke bits like brackets, cables etc. as his kits are made up of off the shelf vag callipers and disks etc. i did the fronts and the rears for my bus for a lot less than £795 as i was prepared to use second hand bits and peices here and there.
dave is a great bloke who has done some great conversions for people ie porsche cayenne six pots on a split etc. i have a full set of audi disks and callipers that are left over from bits that i bought for my conversion which would be a great start for a 312mm conversion (was i bit too big for my bus as they req 16 inch wheels) but anyone with a set of 6x16 fuch they would look the biz. dave even cross drilled my partially used disks for me to match the rears he did for me. and the plus point of the whole thing is if a calliper seizes a trip to gsf or a punt on ebay and you are back on the road. i cant recomend him enough, he even got a mate to meet me at volksworld to save me wasting money posting my bits too him. and the machine work he did was on my wagens west dropped spindles too which if im right in thinking will be the first 2.5 inch dropped 288mm vented conversion in the country. sham they will now sit on my bus and not make a show for another year at least :(

I really liked this solution:

kevdonlon said:
I had a set of billet alloy hubs made to fit Frontera vented disks and a set of caliper brackets made to fit Omega calipers, absolutely no problem in hauling my Turbo bus back to legal limits, all standard bearings and seals used
They were done by a company called Rakeway engineering http://www.rakeway.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If enough were interested i am sure he would do another batch

DSC01768.jpg

DSC01766.jpg

DSC01765.jpg

DSC01813.jpg

DSC02902.jpg

Around the right price too!

kevdonlon said:
hi guys, sorry for the delay
its difficult to say exactly what it cost as i had 2 sets made (hubs and caliper brackets) at the same time as having some other work done, i also paid for the cad drawings and program for the cnc machine to be written, best guess is about £350 per set,t

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10947" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But it didnt go anywhere..

Watching thread.. :popcorn:

cunning plan said:
I really liked this solution:

kevdonlon said:
I had a set of billet alloy hubs made to fit Frontera vented disks and a set of caliper brackets made to fit Omega calipers, absolutely no problem in hauling my Turbo bus back to legal limits, all standard bearings and seals used
They were done by a company called Rakeway engineering http://www.rakeway.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If enough were interested i am sure he would do another batch

DSC01768.jpg

DSC01766.jpg

DSC01765.jpg

DSC01813.jpg

DSC02902.jpg

Around the right price too!

kevdonlon said:
hi guys, sorry for the delay
its difficult to say exactly what it cost as i had 2 sets made (hubs and caliper brackets) at the same time as having some other work done, i also paid for the cad drawings and program for the cnc machine to be written, best guess is about £350 per set,t

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10947" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But it didnt go anywhere..

Watching thread.. :popcorn:

CP I missed this original thread but just read it, what did happen to the kevdons contact, did it all go dead and does anyone have the cad details available etc :?: lots of questions I know but if we can get this info and find a machine shop or a contact I have it could bring some hope back to a cheap not c**p conversion

ianscooby said:
CP I missed this original thread but just read it, what did happen to the kevdons contact, did it all go dead and does anyone have the cad details available etc :?: lots of questions I know but if we can get this info and find a machine shop or a contact I have it could bring some hope back to a cheap not c**p conversion

No dude, no CAD details available - nothing to go by - just what I have put here :sign0023:

I have a few people that could make this but would rather not try it because of the implications of getting it wrong - but even if I wanted to copy them I couldn't without the technical specifications...

We need someone with a good machining / engineering background.. I dont think we need to chase Kevlondon himself for the details, he has just shown us that anything is possible if you are prepared to 'rod it up using parts from anything that may work! :shadey:

Actually, thinking about it, we could just see who wants a set - get some numbers together, then approach Rakeway Engineering who did the billet hub for Kevdonlon originally and see what the price is to purchase in bulk?

I figure those guys would have saved the CAD data.... :party0021:

cunning plan said:
We need someone with a good machining / engineering background..

that'll be dave futbus then?!?! but hey wasnt this thread about trying to get some exposure for his disc set-up?!?!?
not someone elses?!? :?: :!: :roll:

Looking at the Futbus system it does look great. And I totally respect the work that has gone into this.

My only concern is that it is still £795 which is only £30 cheaper than the RRP price for the CSP kit. CSP have their kit passed through certain quality controls and have guarantees, spares etc, the fitting instructions are easy to DIY and the only extra you need to buy is grease. I am not by any means putting down this kit, but the price is still high IMO. It would be good to work with Futbus to help bring the cost down if that is possible.

There is such a big call for a Reasonably priced UK kit and the Futbus one is 95% there I recon.

faux said:
Looking at the Futbus system it does look great. And I totally respect the work that has gone into this.

My only concern is that it is still £795 which is only £30 cheaper than the RRP price for the CSP kit. CSP have their kit passed through certain quality controls and have guarantees, spares etc, the fitting instructions are easy to DIY and the only extra you need to buy is grease. I am not by any means putting down this kit, but the price is still high IMO. It would be good to work with Futbus to help bring the cost down if that is possible.

There is such a big call for a Reasonably priced UK kit and the Futbus one is 95% there I recon.
Faux
The set up looks good, all you need to do is get a brake company to do it, right grade ali etc, I have access to two people who could do it and access to billet ali of the right grade, the last time I done this the ali blanks where £20, wilwood calipers where £100/set, even with price increases and the machine it would beat the csp prices by a long way, all I need is something to copy of a cad progamme, I'll keep searching :) , keep your van locked up :lol:

Interesting solution I only have a couple of questions,
1. whats stopping the rotor spinning on the hub?
2. What does the caliper mount attach to?

noddy said:
Interesting solution I only have a couple of questions,
1. whats stopping the rotor spinning on the hub?
2. What does the caliper mount attach to?

you can't see it but normally the rotor is bolted to the hub, not sure what he's bolting the caliper bracket too but there will be something there

thru_a_lupe said:
cunning plan said:
We need someone with a good machining / engineering background..

that'll be dave futbus then?!?! but hey wasnt this thread about trying to get some exposure for his disc set-up?!?!?
not someone elses?!? :?: :!: :roll:

Sorry :? , I was not intentionally steering the conversation away from Futbus' conversion, I took the thread to be conversational and added my own research into a disc setup.. But when I said we need someone with an engineering background - I meant someone who has not already produced their version of the solution for discs - it would be like us saying to CSP or Futbus "Here's some Frontier calipers, now make it cheaper" - we cant as both companies have given us 'their' take of the disc solution. We / I am just questioning if there is something else available from fragments of information out there..

Latest posts