Noisey Stiff gears

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grazy

Reaction score
When I go for first gear it`s sometimes a real pain to select and only goes if I ram it hard :shock: Third is also the same :?

I had a few probs with gears when i got the van but all was sorted when i went in to the garage ,

When i manage to get first it`s a noisey clonk / grind noise i get and i dont like , :cry: All ideas welcome as i would like to sort before Vanfest

Cheers dudes 8)

Its worth checking your clutch cable is correctly adjusted as it may be partially engaged if the cable is stretched causing the input shaft in the gearbox to spin when you try and engage gears. Sometimes if your engine is idling a bit too fast this also causes inertia in the input shaft to keep it spinning a bit longer causing engagement problems. A long shot before having to drop the box out. Also check the oil level too. If all else fails you will have to swop the box for a better one :wink:

cheers curry larger dont think it`s idling too fast as another problem is it stalls alot :roll: . am i right in thinking there should only be about an inch or two of play in the clutch cable ???? if so this could be the problem as mine has more then this :?

o and oil light came on on way home from beach buggin :roll:

Could it be that your gearshifter has moved a fraction
I've had a scat shifter now got a berg both used to move
'till I put lock washers on the 2 x13m bolts, but same as you
always 1st & 3rd difficult to engage, 2nd 4th & rev.a bit easier
I hope your troubles are as easy to fix as mine was.

You still not sorted your idle problem? tut tut tut

How much free travel on your clutch? If lots then yes it may not be disengaging the engine fully even though you have your foot to the floor.

Oil light how long a journey / how hot was the engine, it may be just that the oil viscosity has led to a drop in pressure, check the level anyways....

Grazy said:
cheers curry larger dont think it`s idling too fast as another problem is it stalls alot :roll: . am i right in thinking there should only be about an inch or two of play in the clutch cable ???? if so this could be the problem as mine has more then this :?

o and oil light came on on way home from beach buggin :roll:

If the clutch bites with the clutch pedal really close to the floor this is usually a good indication that the clutch cable is stretched. However if there is enough adjustment on the wing nut adjuster on the clutch acutator arm by gearbox tighten the cable up and see if that makes a difference. As for the idling, if you have a standard carb, just unscrew the large adjuster screw on the left hand side of the carb half a turn and see if that makes a difference. My bus stopped idling after a 200 mile drive to devon and this turned out to be the "O" ring on this bypass screw was worn and the screw screwed itself back in with the engine vibrations and cut off the carburettor air bypass circuit which is designed to provide the idle mixture for the bus :D, a bit of electrical tape and a tweak with a screwdriver on the campsite and didnt stall once on way home :D

Latest posts