Non start

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slammed72

Reaction score
Hey guys ! So my first post here and I need help !! Bought a 71 bay and I knew it wasn't amazing but it has solid panel work , 12 months mot and an engine that ran.

So 2 days before I take delivery the seller says that the engine is running hot but it should be okay to drive back to my home 40 miles away as long as I took it steady and let the engine cool every 20 mins.

So off I set, the bus would not idle as soon as the choke came off but the bus ran great loads of power and pulled well 5 mins in stopped for fuel, topped up with fuel , started back up no issues. Jumped back on motor way to set off, got 15 mins in and decided to stop to let the engine cool, no signs of problems but heeding the warnings.

Pulled over on hard shoulder and stopped, jumped out and engine was very hot.gave it 15 mins went to restart and nothing, did basic checks and came to the conclusion that I had no spark so the breakdown truck was called.

Since this I have fitted new distributer inc points and condenser,new Petronix coil,rebuilt carb and recharged the battery and still nothing. I have tried to set the timing for the bus by setting the pully at TDC by finding the dent in the pully top and setting my plug leads to cylinder 1- nothing!

I seem to have spark, I haven't checked compression but the engine feels to have good compression. I'm a bit lost now. Can anyone help ???? Any feed back is appreciated .

If you have spark the fuel is next to check.
See if you have + on carburator electric idle valve.
Did you find out why enging run hot?

I have fuel at the carb from the pump. Removed all spark plugs and checked them, non seemed oily or sooty just a nice rich brown on the electrode.

Haven't really had time to look into the hot running I do suspect that the air control flaps in the fan house are stuck as when I tried to move them they seem to be seized,the exhaust has a hole in it,the tinwear seal is missing and the heat riser piping was missing.

Now I have replacements but I want to get it running again so I can check for air leaks.

Need to get it running asap I spent my honeymoon fund on it and her indoors is less than impressed !!!!

Do you have the dizzy 180 degrees out?
It takes two full turns of the pulley to do all 4 cylinders!

Simplest check is to remove plug #1 and pop a long pencil or similar object in the hole. Then turn the pulley wheel and feel for the rise and drop of the pencil. The peak of its movement is TDC.

Haven't tried that if I'm honest !!! Can't think I'm far away from getting it started as I thought I have checked everything I can think of.

I'm hoping it's something silly I have missed, I have been away from Aircooled cars for near 8 years now and I seem to have forgotten everything lol !!

Fuel + spark is 90% of the battle!

Where are you based? If you're not a million miles from me (Leeds) then I don't mind popping round to help out

Update - used advice and some help and found the timing was about 30degs out , set up properly and mint !!!! Off he went !!! Until........

As soon as the choke goes off the engine will not idle !! Gutted as I'm away next week so I have to wait until next weekend to work on him !!!

So anyone have any ideas about why he won't idle ????

Sounds like the carb is fully closing on after the choke is off on idle.

I presume its got a Solex 34 Pict 3 carb.
Set up/tuning is explained here
http://www.vw-resource.com/34pict3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had the same problem recently and it takes about 45 min to do a lasting/working fix. Basically as you look at the engine there is a idle needle on the right hand side of the carb. If it gets a bit of dirt in it then it stops working and when the throttle is close the bypass circuit doesn't work - so it stalls.

I recommend removing the carb, checking the float chamber for dirt, giving it a clean, give the needle under the top cover a blow through and remove and clean the idle jet on the rhs. A simple carb kit should give you confidence you can put it back together once its apart.

A full clean will take a bit longer, but try this and if you solve it then it should last a while. But replace your full hoses and put a filter (before the pump) before you start it up again! You don't want to do it twice....

Latest posts