noob - hopes and expectations...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittlestHobo

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Having just returned from a wonderful week festivalling and then cruising around the Dorset coast in a hired Bay Camper (rented from a lovely couple at lazydayzcampers - double thumbs up) myself and Mrs LittlestHobo have decided to take the plunge and are looking to purchase our first van.

Now from previous dreams and forages into this murky area I understand there is a list of Do's and Don’ts when it comes to buying and I'm eagerly researching away trying to learn as much as I can.

What I'd like to know is if what I'm trying to achieve with my budget is possible...so here it goes:

We'd like to buy within the next 2 months a good solid van in terms of chassis and bodywork.
We aren't too fussed as to interior condition as we'd like to work on that ourselves to restore.
We aren't to fussed on condition or colour of paintwork or cosmetics - as it gets closer to next summer we would be looking at a re-spray.
We don't mind getting our fingers dirty mechanically and have friends to help out with this so mechanics aren't a high priority (is this wise?)

So my question is could we pick up a van like this for £5k or am I way out with my expectations?

Is this a good way to go?

Should we definitely look at a recent import from a dry country.

Any tips/ advice, good places to look would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Would say that 5k might be a little low if you want a running bus. Maybe increase your budget to 6-8k if its possible and you would have far more choice but who knows you may get lucky. Would say to check out the for sale thread and also people like Graham at Midland Early Bay, FBI in Swansea, Karman Konnection in Essex and T2d amongst others. Would defo recomend a "dry" import, far less hassle unless your mechanic is a great welder with a lot of time on his hands. Also reckon its a good idea not to rush into anything and dont let your heart rule your head as there are plenty around at the mo. All the mechanical parts can be bought for a reasonable price but start with as little rust as possible and you'll be laughing :D Happy hunting dude!

Thanks for your answers guys.

I'm thinking of importing one myself perhaps as they seem much cheaper in US. Is this a good way to go? COuld you point ,e in the direction of any previous posts or experiences re: importing yourself?

Many thanks for your help.

LittlestHobo said:
Thanks for your answers guys.

I'm thinking of importing one myself perhaps as they seem much cheaper in US. Is this a good way to go? COuld you point ,e in the direction of any previous posts or experiences re: importing yourself?

Many thanks for your help.

hi mate,yeh you will be hard pressed getting one but to be fair it is possible...speak to graham L at midland earlybay.
hes got this http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27722" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
which ive seen in the flesh and it really isnt all that bad and with a little budget tweaking im sure you could get it on the raod soonish.just an idea mate.good luck :mrgreen:

When i was looking for a bus i did find a peach out in the US, for a good price as well but i didn't go for it and it sold to someone else and i think it came over here. There was lots of pics and video of it but what held me back was the idea of paying thousands of pounds to a stranger thousands of miles away. Its a scary thought and the US is a long way to go if there are any problems. You also have the shipping costs which are gonna be 1.5-2k i think. Plus any damage in transit or at the docks. And it might end up to be a right dog when you pick it up from the docks. Thats what held me back as i saved like a bitch for nearly 2 years to buy one and couldn't take the risk. Ended up finding some more money and got mine from T2d.
However, lots of people do import there own buses and have read threads from people who have had no problems at all and have picked up bargains but have also read other threads where it has become a right pain in the arse.
Swings and roundabouts really.

That is all good advice above and in regard to import don't foget to add shipping/fees/tax/getting it home on a trailer etc;, an example =

Go to Vans for Sale on here, scroll down to about 3rd from bottom:
'69 Westy ready to enjoy.....posted by ib-bus
$8000 or $9800 shipped to Felixtowe - bargain , they are out there if
you go to someone reputable like Juan (ib-bus), but your £5K is really
a project start point these days.

Best of luck mate, don't rush it -wait for a goody........ ;)

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31761" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wouldnt say its impossible. My bus cost me around £4500 by the time it reached the midlands. All it needed for the MOT was the lights sorting and a front flexi hose.

£120 for middle and rear bench seats, then Insurance and registering and all came in at under 5K

Must start taking more pics of it though and things i do, i had about 400 photos of the crossover resto (lost in a fire) it replaced

Just make sure you get it from someone reputable, or when you go to view take somone who knows where to look

i would say its possible if you look hard enough.
my bay cost me less than your budget fresh import registered mot'd and i had enough to buy z hinges, k and l beam and a couple of other bits and still have a little change, however it looks like arse as its got 70 zillion layers of paint on it that i'm slowly stripping to see what the og paint is like

Thanks for the help and advice guys, sjc and Nugsy where did you get your vans from/ how did you source them?

Cheers

i found mine just round the corner from me.
i was planning on importing one myself but went to look at a local one from a guy that imports for t2d and snapped it up as the deal we got was a bit to good to turn down

Latest posts