not all ball joints are equal

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have bought Ball joints and on all websites they state that the lower and upper joints are the same. Ordered today and looked at my joints. The upper joint seems thicker as if it has some sort of metal shroud on it (bad way of explaining) also looked at the whell hub and the holes they sit in are different for the top and bottom joints. The larger hole being on the top. Any ideas please. Cheers

The top one has the adjustment clevis ( not sure if that is the correct word. You have to make sure you mark it and put it back in the same spot, or you have to go get your bus realigned.

The thing that has the big nut looking thing at the top is the piece I am talking about. That has to come off the old one and be reinstalled onto the new one. Again, mark the actual arm and the big nut piece so you put it back in the same spot. :D

file-24.jpg

Edit to add, you want to mark the arm on the actual wheel hub part, not the arm that you see in the pic. :D

No disrespect meant but they take a lot of getting out plus they need to be aligned in the correct way on installation ,plus you may have to make a few press jigs

justcruzin said:
The top one has the adjustment clevis ( not sure if that is the correct word. You have to make sure you mark it and put it back in the same spot, or you have to go get your bus realigned.

The thing that has the big nut looking thing at the top is the piece I am talking about. That has to come off the old one and be reinstalled onto the new one. Again, mark the actual arm and the big nut piece so you put it back in the same spot. :D

file-24.jpg

Edit to add, you want to mark the arm on the actual wheel hub part, not the arm that you see in the pic. :D

Camber nut is the term you are looking for.

sparkywig said:
justcruzin said:

Camber nut is the term you are looking for.

THanks! Couldn't remember the name. LOL

As far as getting the ball joints off, yes they are b....tch to get off. My hubby made one press tool that broke after the second one, then he had to make another tool to do the other side. He say's he will never do them again. LOL

cheers, luckily i have a mate with access to a 20 tonne press so hopefully they should be relatively easy :lol: :lol: to get out. O ye and in

Heys Dudes,

Sorry to hijack your thread but I have to do my balls, I mean joints :lol: and have never done it before.
Do you have to take the whole trailing arm off of the torsion bars to get it in the press ?
Anyone got any pictures of it being done or the process.

Cheers
Raver :party0046:

you can just change the covers it the joints arnt shagged
.. and get some neoprene ones there great/easy to fit and last well.. ;)

Thanks Art - Didn't think of that. Whats the best way of checking for shagged joints ? Would it be
to fack it up and try and rattle the ball and cup to look for any play ?

thejinx said:
cheers, luckily i have a mate with access to a 20 tonne press so hopefully they should be relatively easy :lol: :lol: to get out. O ye and in

Good luck with 20 tonnes you may find they need a hell of a lot more than that to get out
They will go in with that no problem though

I got the local engineering firm to do mine and he said he never wants to do another set again

Next time i need to do a set im going to heat them up in a forge and smack the ball joints out

raveboy said:
Thanks Art - Didn't think of that. Whats the best way of checking for shagged joints ? Would it be
to fack it up and try and rattle the ball and cup to look for any play ?

dont fack it up.... :lol:

i believe you should put some pressure on them with a lever and see if you get any movement.. :?

but im not an mot tester....someone else may have a better idea..

the ball joint covers i got,[ from larry at resto custom,]
are metatech, trade only... :roll:

someone on here could possibly get a joblot, ;)

paradox said:
thejinx said:

Good luck with 20 tonnes you may find they need a hell of a lot more than that to get out
They will go in with that no problem though

I got the local engineering firm to do mine and he said he never wants to do another set again

Next time i need to do a set im going to heat them up in a forge and smack the ball joints out

Heating the whole arm up will just shag it . These are a criticle item and need to be done correctly

Latest posts