Off the shelf engines?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bananacustard

Reaction score
I'm looking at options for new engines and I wondered if anyone has direct experience of any of these (not here say from a mate of a mate or a link to vzi ranting from several years ago).

1) New VeeWee (formerly GSF) 1600tp, £1950, no exchange. Their old 'mexican' engines were very good units I believe. 1 years warranty.

2) VW Heritage new 1600p, £2249 (£2136.55 forum discount?), no exchange. 2 years warranty.

3) Just Kampers (vege) recon' 1600tp, £1499, exchange engine needed, 2 years warranty.

Not really interested in TES, Steve Strong etc and I'm not after getting an engine built. Just after a good, reliable engine that won't be constantly in and out and doesn't leave oil everywhere. A warranty that's worth the paper it's printed on would be good as well.

Over to you folks :D

Ta!

Jeremy i have a vege engine in my, i have had it for about 12 years and when it was in my splitscreen it went everywhere trouble free. It has been no trouble in the bay either, its the the rest of the bus that is the fucking problem.

67 Westie started a similar engine thread not too long ago - he went for a Heritage engine

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65088&hilit=heritage+engine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StuF said:
67 Westie started a similar engine thread not too long ago - he went for a Heritage engine

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65088&hilit=heritage+engine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did :) I went 1641 in the end and so far very happy with it. Just approaching 500 miles so will be doing the first oil change at the weekend and then I can start using it in anger a bit more. No issues (aside from the engine number falling off :lol:). I gave them a call and they managed to do a little bit better than the forum discount so that's worth a try.

I will be putting it on a rolling road on monday so I'll be posting up the figure from that, it may help your decision.

The only minor issue I had is that they couldn't/wouldn't give a recommendation for the jetting on a 34 pict 3 with a 1641 so I went down the twin carb route (good excuse to spend the money on them :)) If you have any questions then feel free to ask me or PM me!

The main thing I always state is compare the parts used and the quality not just the price, Our units are BRAND NEW units, nothing re used or refurbed.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65534" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

another thread with Ozzidog's thoughts on our engines :D

Your local to us too, we are now in Shoreham so only 20 mins from you.

We have a workshop facility on site too if you want it fitted,

Let me know if I can provide any information or assistance.

[email protected]

All my best with it what ever you decide,

Alex

Alex, could you PM me the best price you can do on the 1600 twin port? Didn't realise you had workshop facilities there now, although I'd probably get Karl to fit it. Incidentally are the cases tapped for the thermostat bracket?

I've done the1641, twin carb thing. I think I'd like to go back to stock and enjoy a bit of reliability (even if it is marginally slower). My present engine has filled up with petrol 4 times now with my 34 itcs despite being overhauled. I can't be doing with it anymore.

If the Vege engines nowadays are as good as they used to be, I'd be tempted by one of those... Mine's like a Swiss watch. Except covered in oil and gross, but only because I'm a sloppy filler!

They being said, I've had a good TES engine before, I guess everyone has good days and bad. Engines are one of those things that can fry for seemingly no reason- crack in one of the oil galleries? you'd never see that, could destroy an engine.

On a side note, when you get the new one, set it up properly with an exhaust gas analyser, strobe light and dwell meter. Too many people buy an engine, chuck it in and don't set it up right- then whine about the builder when they cook it.

The problem with recon units that that the term "recon" is interpreted differently by different companies. The original VW factory recon units were good because they simply replaced everything that was even slightly worn, making the unit good as new with all tolerances factory correct.

I have seen "other" so called recon engines that were not reconditioned in the sense I am familiar with. These units were simply repaired and fixed up. Hence they can be a gamble.

If you intend keeping the bus for some time then the Heritage option through Alex looks good value to me, because it uses new rather than recon parts. That means no line boring and non standard / oversize bearings, part worn components etc.

In your situation I would go for it. Heritage have a good reputation and Alex knows his stuff; so if he says they are good you can believe it - (and he looks after his customers).

Trikky2 said:
The problem with recon units that that the term "recon" is interpreted differently by different companies. The original VW factory recon units were good because they simply replaced everything that was even slightly worn, making the unit good as new with all tolerances factory correct.

I have seen "other" so called recon engines that were not reconditioned in the sense I am familiar with. These units were simply repaired and fixed up. Hence they can be a gamble.

If you intend keeping the bus for some time then the Heritage option through Alex looks good value to me, because it uses new rather than recon parts. That means no line boring and non standard / oversize bearings, part worn components etc.

In your situation I would go for it. Heritage have a good reputation and Alex knows his stuff; so if he says they are good you can believe it - (and he looks after his customers).

Everything said above, plus what I have said before about reliability from the suppliers and you will know exactly what you is gonna get and when you do the maths to compare what you are getting for your money, that was the clincher for me. Also it should be just fit and forget (and service) just like in the old days :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I got fed up with fit and `hope` :mrgreen:

Happystamps said:
If the Vege engines nowadays are as good as they used to be, I'd be tempted by one of those... Mine's like a Swiss watch. Except covered in oil and gross, but only because I'm a sloppy filler!

They being said, I've had a good TES engine before, I guess everyone has good days and bad. Engines are one of those things that can fry for seemingly no reason- crack in one of the oil galleries? you'd never see that, could destroy an engine.

On a side note, when you get the new one, set it up properly with an exhaust gas analyser, strobe light and dwell meter. Too many people buy an engine, chuck it in and don't set it up right- then whine about the builder when they cook it.

I have a gas analyser what should the reading be?

I generally aim for about 3%- personal rule of between 2.8%-3.2% nowadays. Used to run it a bit richer, ran the same, wallet got lighter.

radish said:
Jeremy i have a vege engine in my, i have had it for about 12 years and when it was in my splitscreen it went everywhere trouble free. It has been no trouble in the bay either, its the the rest of the bus that is the fucking problem.

:lol:

Latest posts