Oh Bliss....I have a Barn....!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Camper

Reaction score
I've found a Barn to put my van into over the Winter (£10 a month) - I'm still using it now, but come Nov, Dec, Jan I would like to lay it up. Do you have any advice about what I need to do re brakes, tyres etc.....?

thats a good price, is it just for you or are you sharing it??

how long are you parking it up for ?

I have to shift a lot of bales and wait till the farmer moves some feed sacks until I can get the van in....it's a bit rural round here....

£10 a month!! :shock:

I thought I had a good deal renting a bit of barn space for £60 a month. Thats a bloody bargain!!!

Look whats up at mine :wink:

Barn1.jpg

PS. you cant see the split bug, kg and ragtop in this pic :lol: :lol:

i wedge the wheels and leave the handbrake off .i also disconnect the battery.there was a oil for vintage cars whilst laid up,it was meant to adhere to all moving part instead of laying at the bottom..if its not been started for a while turn over afew times before starting it up.

Ha!....now that's what I call a barn! You show off!! :D

Thanks for the advice Paul....I don't think I'll do the oil thing as I'll be able to wander round and start it up every now and again, hopefully. Is it going to harm my new tyres being stood still for 3/4 months? I've got a set of old wheels and tyres, is it worth the bother of exchanging them?

Sharing it?....well - with about 300 bales of hay - the furniture from the Village Hall - loads of huge sacks of cattle feed - farm machinery and general farming rubbish. I have to move a lot of hay bales to make a 'nest' to get the van in! :lol:

Looking for something similar round me and I just cannot find anything :( :(

:lol: me and a few mates have gone in on a collective share of a HUUUUGGEE barn. Its ace we can keep our dubs up there and work on them 24hours a day (no one for miles) and all the leccy we can use. We are going to build a spray booth up there soon :wink:

Easy,

Stop it now I'm really jealous :mrgreen:

Got a couple of barns on the farm I live on which I can use for free - shared with all sorts of farm equipment, 4500 bales of hay (I know because I helped bring them in!), Haveacamper is currently sharing the back of one with mine (that has now emerged post engine rebuild).
My landlord (the farmer) has a 68 Massey that he has owned from new, could do with a resto......

I recently took on the sublet of a unit with my mate. Room at the mo for 6 (just) vehicles plus all our spares and workbenches, tools, etc etc. Its £100 each though.

For the winter, leave the handbrake off, crack a window or two open, maybe set a couple of mouse traps ;) and remove the battery .... thats all thats really needed. Oh, and take all the old food out!

:)

Clem

Is this on an industrial estate or on a farm?, just trying to see what costs are like.

Would like to store my 2 current ones and space for some 'projects'

Graham L said:
Clem

Is this on an industrial estate or on a farm?, just trying to see what costs are like.

Would like to store my 2 current ones and space for some 'projects'

Its an ex farm thats now a small ind. estate. My mates brother started his own business (car repairs) and rented a bigger unit than he needed, so boarded off a third of it and rents it to us. :)

My bus will be going into an old cow shed for the winter. It won't be laid up though, as I will still use it from time to time.
It will have some company.... an ugly modern motorhome thing that belongs to my folks! :lol:

Something I've always done when I've stored vehicles in places whre mice are likely to be, is to place a 'sacrificial' carrier bag on the floor. That way if mice do get in I hope that they'll chomp the bag, which they are hopefully likely to find first, before they go exploring for tasty seat material and other trim! :shock:

Another thing to consider is whether you should check your insurance policy and inform your insurance company of the change in storage location? Any excuse for them to wriggle out of a claim.... :evil:

Latest posts