Oil Change

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shavey

Reaction score
Next weekend, depending on weather, I plan to service my bus and also want to change the gearbox oil (but have never done this before and want some advice).

I know the location of engine oil drain plug.

Is the gearbox drain plug inline with this, further down on the transmission box? If this is the correct one, which I think it is, can you confirm the the top up socket is half way up the transmission box on the left hand side looking down from the back of the bus. Plus, should I be buying any gaskets/seals prior to draining and replacing the oil (any advice would be appreciated as I am a novice when it comes to mechanics, but trying to learn more as time goes by)? I did read one thing about checking the top up socket first before draining, hence the need to confirm the location of this, I cannot seem to find any images of this in the manual.

Thanks

Soubds like you have found them :) you won't need any seals. As you said just make sure you can open the fill point first. I had to use a windy gun on mine, I guess it hadn't been opened for a long time.

If you decide to change the gear oil then undo the filler plug first in case its stuck.

This will ensure you can re fill when you drain the oil.

For an oil change i would buy , New oil , New sump gasket and mesh kit from GSF or similar

I take my van for a spin then get it on axle stands as its low, get something to catch old oil in and undo the centre nut on sump plate and let it drain , I let it do this over night

Then next morning i remove sump plate , change gaskets, mesh put it all back together then fill up oil !!

I found one of these very useful to get the new oil "in"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELUXE-SYPHON-SIPHON-PUMP-TOOL-PUMP-OIL-EXTRACTOR-PETROL-DIESEL-FUEL-LIQUID-/400747121859?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d4e63ccc3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No doubt you will be buying gearbox oil in plastic bootles with spout on end. I use some hose fitted on end of spout into gearbox filler plug hole. Does the job easily :idea: . As said by other members make sure you can get filler plug out before draining oil.As for changing engine oil get an oil change gasket kit.
Robert

Does anyone happen to know the size of hex-head for undoing the plugs?

Did it on a mates van in the past - it really as easy as it sounds.
Let it drain for a couple of hours and then filled with oil until it was flowing out "clear".

gvee said:
Does anyone happen to know the size of hex-head for undoing the plugs?

Did it on a mates van in the past - it really as easy as it sounds.
Let it drain for a couple of hours and then filled with oil until it was flowing out "clear".

17mm i believe

So I found the tool I need, shall pick it up tomorrow, along with a fresh lot of oil for the gearbox. When re-fitting the drain plug on the gearbox, do I have to pay attention to any torque setting, or is it similar to the engine oil drain plug - tight but not too tight :?:

Only a couple of quid - sorted...

I found that doing a dry run to find the sweet spot to angle the bottle just right so I could hand squeeze "pump" the oil in worked way faster than fitting a hose on the end (think the reverse of sucking a thick milkshake/malt through a straw - sigh). Fill it up until you can feel the oil level with the tip of your finger to about the depth of the fill plug then torque to 25 lb ft for both drain and fill plugs ... so yes tight but not too tight :)

Thanks for all the good advice, job now done. But, getting that hex fill nut undone took a lot of effort.
Pleased to know she is now running with fresh oil in the gear box.

Many thanks

Latest posts