Oil Leak From Accuspark Distributor

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chico

Reaction score
Hi All

Ive fitted a new accuspark dizzy SVDA ( 1600 tp, solex 34-3) however it is leaking oil from the base of the bowl ?

so in the base there are 4 small holes , and is leaking oil from lowest one

Link to jk you can see the holes in question easily
http://www.justkampers.com/113-905-205-an-distributor-with-vacuum-advance-all-aircooled-models-1961-to-1979.html#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

spoken to Accuspark who have suggested its an oil pressure issue my end ? ( have no oil pressure gauge , so don't know )

Old dizzy was warn ( DVDA) bosch unit that has no holes so never had the issue before ,

Anyone ever had this ? any advise , where to start as I'm a bit stumped

Photo of the dizzy in situ and hole highlighted

Thanks

Chico

Sorry if its a bit obvious but did you fit a new O ring to the dizzy shaft ?
Couldn't imagine oil getting past that too easily.
Never heard of this before.

Hiya

Yes fitted new o ring, oiled before hand , but that seals the shaft to block as it were right ?

this is oil moving up the shaft internally? and leaking from the body/bowl , i didn't know that was even possible to be honest , but its happening !

Accuspark have said its oil pressure to high , others have said thats nonsense , I have no idea ?

will see if i can find a gauge tomorrow to check pressure , just wondered if anyone else had same issue/solution .

thx

Chico

Hi All

So done some oil pressure checks today

On start up (cold engine) was at 45psi

after leaving to warm up approx 10minutes choke off etc psi had dropped to between 15 and 20psi

Revving to 3500 rpm pressure rises up to approx 48-50psi never over 50

Does that seem ok ?

Thanks

Chico

The distributor is fitted to a part of the engine that means it will not see oil pressure exerted on it. The only way that oil can get into the main body is up the shaft and past the fibre washers that should seal it. I would suggest that something is missing or damaged within the distributor which will only be apparent once it is fully stripped.

Latest posts