Oil leak from barrels

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philstar

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Panel van
Hey guys my engine has developed a fairly big oil leak, it appears to be originating from where the barrels meet the block, but only on the nearside. Can I tighten these up with the engine still in the vehicle by torqueing up the head bolts?
Engine is a 1600 twinport.

I have just lay under it with the engine running and it is just flooding out, though I believe it may be down to the oil cooler as it looks like it is flowing all around cylinder no.3 and some of the rear tin ware as well. Revving the engine seems to flick the oil further instead of it dropping in the same place.

philstar said:
I have just lay under it with the engine running and it is just flooding out, though I believe it may be down to the oil cooler as it looks like it is flowing all around cylinder no.3 and some of the rear tin ware as well. Revving the engine seems to flick the oil further instead of it dropping in the same place.

I think you could be right it's more likely to be your oil cooler or the seals . However it wouldn't hurt checking the torque on your heads....

ege4etyv.jpg

9a3yvahe.jpg

So 23ftlbs to sketch 2 is the fourth and last sequence!!!

Still think it's you cooler though.... ;-)
Ben

Cheers for the info Ben, very handy!

Unlikely to be head nuts, most probably a failed oil seal on the cooler or the cooler mount. I'm afraid you'll have to pull the engine to sort it. Don't drive the bus - the oil pressure will be a bit low. Easy fix once the motor is on the deck, but check the seals are correct for your engine. Some sp engines with 8mm oil passages have been converted to 10mm doghouse coolers and need a special conversion seal.
Good rap on oil coolers and seals is here

http://www.oceanstreetvideo.com/vwtech/OilCoolerSealFaq.html you'll need VLC media player for the clips

Latest posts