OIL LIGHT Shining bright.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still in the same boat. Light comes on after a certain period of driving.

Very reluctant to remove the dip stick indicator!!! But in the interest of science
I am thinking of putting the original dip stick in and driving !!!!!
This means one of two things either it ceases or it just gets hot and I stop and go home again.

Visually indicated by the oil light on the dashboard!!!

Any ideas on this subject before I attempt it.?
No It's not a case of throwing cash at it , I am really trying to understand where this pressure is going?
Ozzie , unfortunately a compression test is beyond me and my tool repertoire. :)

J & P
:D :D :D

Still in the same boat. Light comes on after a certain period of driving.

Very reluctant to remove the dip stick indicator!!! But in the interest of science
I am thinking of putting the original dip stick in and driving !!!!!
This means one of two things either it ceases or it just gets hot and I stop and go home again.

Visually indicated by the oil light on the dashboard!!!

Any ideas on this subject before I attempt it.?
No It's not a case of throwing cash at it , I am really trying to understand where this pressure is going?
Ozzie , unfortunately a compression test is beyond me and my tool repertoire. :)

J & P
:D :D :D
Did you get this sorted. I have just had a few days panicing and reading everything about Oil pressure switches and why mine was perminatly on. So excuse the punn but I had a lightbuld moment literally. So a few months ago I changed all my Dash bulbs to LED's indicators, oil, gen, main beam etc. So the other day I was driving along gave it death a couple of times and she got a little hot. That hot my oil light came on. So the Save my Bug told me she was hot. I eased off and the light stayed on. Since then it's been on but couldn't figure why. My assumption was that the engine was fried and I was in deep. So I was walking home from the shops and thought what the hell could it be. I had already tried a new Oil Pressure Switch albeit a used spare. The same thing happened. Still on. So my thoughts came to the bulb being LED and not dimable like a traditional bulb. So I decided to change the oil light bulb back to the original bulb and it works just fine. I would add at this piont that when I was indicating the oil light was getting brighter and dimmer. So my conclusion is that the Save my Bug affeected the bulb as it's not a traditional bulb that it was meant for. I hope you sorted yours but this was why mine was on and now when I switch it off and back on the light lights up. So the pressure it there even without stressing it isn't. My bus runs fine with or without the light on. I now know that the LED bulbs are great but not for the oil light.

Nor for the generator/alternator light. That needs to be a standard bulb as well, otherwise the charging circuit doesn't work.
OK, thanks for the heads up. I still have access to the dash so that's good. I will switch it out. Did I also read that the indicators are on this same loop?

I had one of those oil temp dipsticks, ended up putting it in the bin mate. It kept indicating the oil was to hot ruining my enjoyment. As long as your engine is timed correctly, fuelled correctly and valves are adjusted etc then drive and enjoy. All to easy to go down a rabbit hole of worry and change for a temp sensor that may not be calibrated correctly.......

I've found the dip stick oil temp gadget very useful, i found it better wired to its own independent warning light, much easier to see.
I find a laser hand held digital temperature gauge very useful for checking noisy cupboard temperatures, a lot more accurate than the hot dipstick method.
Long may your flat 4's splutter 👍🙂

I've been using a Save-my-Bug temp dipstick for years, never had an issue. They're only a guide, but you do need to set them up first.
And remember, there are two types, one for type 1 upright engines and one for type 4 suitcase engines.

I put an oil temp and pressure as well as a head temp gauge in a cluster on my bus dash. The temp gauge connected to the bottom of the block.

Latest posts