Oil pressure, What should the psi reading be?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazza1975

Reaction score
After fitting an oil pressure gauge with sender, what should the psi reading be?

I understand every engine will be different but after some guidelines to make sure all is ok.

Ta

My understanding is that it should read about 10 PSI per thousand rpm when the engine is warm – the maximum should be about 45 PSI when warm, about 50-55 when cold. As the engine warms up the pressure will drop a bit but then should remain fairly stable.

What would make it read lower? Reads 25 when cold :shock:

Could the wrong size cable do this? Has no leaks and new Pistons and rings, new bearings, no end float

At what revs ?

Mine drops to about 12psi on tickover

Brand new 25PSI is fine, its a little high but OK

Your engine being fresh everything is tighter and oil pressure will be a little higher!

What Oil are you using?

This time of year when you start your motor with cold oil I'd expect you to see 25PSI minimum

Performance motors can run 70PSI plus so high pressure is nothing to be afraid of.

Better pressure is a good thing!

10PSI is the minimum you'd ever want the oil pressure light comes on 4 - 6PSI and if it drops this low and the light comes on its normally too late!

I generally ran at 25PSI at tickover and upto 65PSI at 6000RPM on my 2276cc, Cant tell you for the 1776cc as I never ran a gauge.

Its just another worry gauge, see what is normal for YOUR van and only be concerned when its doing something it does not normally do.

Hope that helps :mrgreen:

Thanks guys, nothing to worry about then! Thought it was a good idea at the time but keep looking at it now :lol:

When warmed up it drops to just reading on the gauge at tick over so about 12 psi, pics up when you Rev it!

Thanks for the response, all good here :oops:

Latest posts