Oil type?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghop99

Reaction score
Morning all just a quick one

Should I be looking at using different engine oil for summer on a 1600? What you all using?

Cheers

15/40w Mineral. The only thing you should run a type 1 engine on.

If you've got over heating problems (eg a flickery oil light) its a suggestion something is wrong with your engine. Could need something as simple as a basic service and the ignition adjusting.

Morris's 20w50 fully mineral, found it to be a very good oil and not expensive about £8 for 5 L.

i'm interested in this too .... so, which is it then?

15/40 or 20/50? or are there avantages and disadvantages for each?

mine currently has quantum 15/40 in (used by the bloke who built the van), which i think is mineral. i want to decide on what is best to use from now on though.

Most people I know seem to use either morris 20w50 or morris 30 grade.

20W50 just gives a large temperature range the oil can run over.

I use Quantum 15/40 all year long, has been lots of discusion on VZI in the past on oils & if memory serves me right, Quantum came out top (its a VW oil).

thanks. just had another look around. looks like 15/40 mineral gets recommended a lot. just need to see whether the one thats in it is a mineral (blue?) or semi-synthetic (silver?).

and then maybe change the oil i bought the other day, magnatec 15/40 if its wrong type.

Just been looking on the Morris website, think i might go for either 20/50 or 30 grade. Im running pretty stock 1600sp. Which would be best?

I use the Morris 30 in my 1600, have done for years and no probs :mrgreen:

hipshaker said:
thanks. just had another look around. looks like 15/40 mineral gets recommended a lot. just need to see whether the one thats in it is a mineral (blue?) or semi-synthetic (silver?).

and then maybe change the oil i bought the other day, magnatec 15/40 if its wrong type.

I would always go with Mineral and avoid synthetic or semi synthetic.

Sythetic oils tend not to dissipate heat as well as mineral, therefore the engine runs hotter, They work well in water cooled engines (particularly high performance) as the water does the cooling, but in a VW air cooled motor, a chunk of the cooling is delivered by the oil.....stick with mineral.

I go with 20-50 mineral every time. Being that little bit thicker it sticks to every thing a little longer and as such takes a little more heat away from the vital components, also 20-50 will not brake down as easily as 15-40 if you do happen to run a little hot stuck in traffic in the summer. i had this debate with lauie pettit at volksfling a couple of year ago, i will take his judjment as right as he is one of the best engine builders in this country if not europe/world!

Just a bit more info on oils.

See this link for some technical oil info http://www.morrislubricantsonline.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=165&product=Golden+Film+SAE+30+Classic+Motor+Oil" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they also do a 20W/50 in the same range

I'm in the 20/50 camp, but to be honest either 20/50 or SAE 30 seem to be fine.

So much has been written on internet forums about this, but I've never read '20/50 trashed my engine', or 'SAE 30 is bloody awful'.

You pays your money & takes your choice. I reckon either is ok. What ever you do though, I'd stick to mineral.

The most important thing is to have the right amount of clean oil ;)

Using cheap oil and changing it every 3000 miles is better than buying the most expensive, fantastic oil and expecting it to last 12000 miles ;)

I use Duckhams 20/50, although I'm tempted to try 15/40.

VW have not recommended using monograde (SAE30) oil in aircooled cars since the 1960s... just because the cars are old doesn't mean we should be using monolithic oil ;)

Latest posts