One key to open them all...?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gr00veg0d

Reaction score
So here's the thing: on my bay I have one key for the ignition, another for the cab doors, no key for the sliding door and both the tailgate and engine door are push-button ones which I would like to convert to locking ones.

I know I can buy separate locking handles for the sliding door/tailgate/engine lid but don't fancy carrying FIVE keys around!

There is a genuine VW handle set: http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares...ntry_GB.htm?crumbStartPage=5&crumbStartRow=59
This would replace all the handles and the ignition and all work off the same key - but they're in black not chrome (I like the chrome)

What is the most cost-effective way of getting everything to work off one key, and keep the chrome?

You can re key all of your original locks. Someone will point you in the right direction. I've has too much wine to search.

I sent mine to Schofields, send them all the handles including locks with your ignition key and they will re-tumble them to work with the ignition key, think it was £15 per lock, took a couple of days.
Something tells me they must be original handles not repro ones, best to check first.

Merry Xmas

Jon

sparkywig said:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=312340&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I did all mine in one night with the telly on ;)

A nice rewarding job :msn4:

Chris

yep - as last post - dubkeys will provide you with the wafers to fit your barrel from the key or barrel code .. all the money is in the labour of doing this. Chances are if you remove all the locks and wafers you might find you have enough variations to do most of the locks already - can anyone confirm/remember how many different wafers there are (only 5 or so ?)
Did my passenger door the other night with a spare barrel of this forum.
:mrgreen:

...and, yes, repro handles have different key profiles to OG

Just done this a few weeks ago, like you want to stay with chrome, had to buy one used off eBay to replace one of the bits broken in mine, but this gave me extra wafers to play with. Been dreading the job but is easy to figure out when you have the bits in front of you. The springs behind the wafers are minute and will be stuck or sticky, I had one lock with only one wafer moving. The one bit of advice is dismantle in a bag, if a spring jumps out in the open its lost forever.

Can the ignition barrel be removed?

I have a key but it doesn't fit any lock on the bus!

If I make it fit the ignition barrell then I have a starting point.....

Gill.

Latest posts