Our 1970 Dormobile

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Bruges

Going to the bell tower tomorrow.
Will see if they'll accept €4.90 and whether they enjoy their job :D

A few pictures from our long weekend in Bruges. Hope you like.

Besides the weather it was a very memorable weekend. Picked a nice spot by the canal when the sun was actually shining and proposed to my girlfriend.
She said Yes 8)

Picked up the bus with its new powder coated shoes to match the canvas work we had done.
Here he is at the ferry terminal with the red bull can showing its height.
It's not that low!
DSC_6752.jpg

Although we were on the lower decks with the big boys!
DSC_6904.jpg

This is the only picture I took that really shows the new wheels. Currently have the old matt black hub caps on, but I have a set of shiny chrome ones somewhere. What do you think? I think the ducks liked them.
DSC_6755.jpg

The set up. The table is a folding picnic table from the 60s in pretty original condition which we bought off fleabay for only £30. Matches the wheels and canvas quite well.
DSC_6799.jpg

A self portrait of me and my new fiance by the canal.
DSC_6789.jpg

The market square had a Porsche club from Germany showing off some of their cars on the Saturday, but on the Sunday there was a big group of Harley owners and I found "my" bike.
DSC_6827.jpg

Of course there are the beers. This is my new favourite called Kwak. Just wish it wasn't so damned expensive.
DSC_6848.jpg

Some other pics I took of Bruges that I liked.

DSC_6833.jpg

DSC_6775.jpg

DSC_6846.jpg

A wicked little Lambretta with side car. You can just make out the small passenger in it.
DSC_6777.jpg

Great pics (went to Brugge about 20 years ago on my motorbike and it rained a lot too :lol: )

Think the red wheels set the van off nicely 8)

Oh and congrats on the engagement ;)

gninnam said:
Great pics (went to Brugge about 20 years ago on my motorbike and it rained a lot too :lol: )

thanks dude. The rain did suck, but it has a lot of nice pubs to keep dry in.
What kind of bike did you have?

Glad you like the wheels. I think it looked a bit military with the black rims & hubs.

toastiemaker said:
gninnam said:

thanks dude. The rain did suck, but it has a lot of nice pubs to keep dry in.
What kind of bike did you have?

Glad you like the wheels. I think it looked a bit military with the black rims & hubs.

Was a ZZR600 (all black), a very good compromise to be honest for touring and blasting on the Auto-routes over there 8)

red wheels work a treat mate ! like a bit of colour. i like it without the hub caps, but the shiney new ones will be cool.

i bet it was a bit worring surrounded by all those lorry's, like a nerd in a play groung surounded by bullys :lol: (i'm not saying you or your bus is a nerd :D )

my wife said i was a weirdo when i took a picture of the wrighting on the inside of a public toilet, she was right :p

i can't wait to get my bus out in europe, hoping to go to france in a couple of year.

p.s. i made a cheese, onion, salard cream and blask pepper toastie today. It was truely amazing!

dubscum said:
red wheels work a treat mate ! like a bit of colour. i like it without the hub caps, but the shiney new ones will be cool.

i bet it was a bit worring surrounded by all those lorry's, like a nerd in a play groung surounded by bullys :lol: (i'm not saying you or your bus is a nerd :D )

my wife said i was a weirdo when i took a picture of the wrighting on the inside of a public toilet, she was right :p

i can't wait to get my bus out in europe, hoping to go to france in a couple of year.

p.s. i made a cheese, onion, salard cream and blask pepper toastie today. It was truely amazing!

I must admit that I like them without as well, but they were a birthday gift from the missus so....on they will go.

The 'toilet' pic is from the inside of the bell tower. Would be a bit weird taking pictures of toilets while on holiday. :shock:

Yum. Massive fan of Cheese toasties so I'll have to give your recipe a try.

Nice thread and bus mate, and congrats on the engagement... just back from Belgium myself that Kwak is good stuff :mrgreen:

Just been back from a nice break in the bus with the missus, my cousin and a mate.
Spent the weekend camping in Suffolk near Dunwich and visiting Soutwold, Walberswick and Aldeburgh.
Lovely part of the country, just a pity about the weather which was rubbish.

Great fitting in some more sight seeing in the British countryside which is even better in the bus. Always have a smile on my face when I'm at the wheel.

Here are some pics from our latest travels.

One of the many pubs we visited on our travels. Best place to miss the showers.
DSC_7185.jpg

DSC_7193.jpg

Self portrait
DSC_7136.jpg

Finally put the new chrome hubcaps on the bus too. What do you think?
DSC_7205.jpg

DSC_7204_2.jpg

Looks like a flinstones bus.
DSC_7203.jpg

On the wall in Aldeburgh
DSC_7238.jpg

Some internal shots of the new bunks out and the roof up.
DSC_7218.jpg

DSC_7219.jpg

Have you tried the bunks out yet (as in do you fit and are they comfortable)?? ;)

gninnam said:
Have you tried the bunks out yet (as in do you fit and are they comfortable)?? ;)

to be honest, I'm too scared that they won't hold my weight :shock:
Mel tried to sleep up there when we got them done but it was a very cold night so she didn't last. We mainly use it for storage while parked up.

toastiemaker said:
to be honest, I'm too scared that they won't hold my weight :shock:
Mel tried to sleep up there when we got them done but it was a very cold night so she didn't last. We mainly use it for storage while parked up.

I heard they are supposed to be good upto a weight of 20st and a body length of 5ft 11inch's - first time my daughter sat on ours it just ripped as it was full of rust stains.....whoops ;)

I've had my holiday leave approved so I can start planning the road trip around France. :D
Catching a ferry on the 22nd of July and return on the 8th of August. So a good 18 days to cruise and check out the sites.
We purchased the France Passion book so hopefully that will help us find some cool spots to stay.

Here's the rough itinerary so far with a handy little map that I put together on google maps.

If anyone has some recommendations in the areas let me know.

22.07 Ferry to Dunkerque. Drive to Champagne
23.07 Champagne
24.07 Champagne
25.07 Champagne to Belfort (Le Coubusier - Chapelle Notre-Dame-du-Haut de Ronchamp‎)
26.07 Belfort to Avignon (all day drive)
27.07 - 01.08 Based near Avignon. Check out Provence, Marseille, Mont Pellier & chill at the beach
01.08 drive to toulouse
02.08 Toulouse
03.08 Toulouse to Bordeaux
04.08 Bordeaux
05.08 Bordeaux to Nantes
06.08 Nantes to Rennes
07.08 Rennes to Caen (staying with family)
08.08 Caen to Dunkerque

Screenshot2010-06-11at221121.png

Looks like a good one.

Make sure you visit Nimes - a fantastic old Roman city with some great architecture - was there 2 years ago and would go back again.

Keep us posted on your journey if possible and enjoy ;)

loving the old photos, makes me wonder whether in 30 years people will look at our pictures and think haha look at the funky clothes :mrgreen:

hope you took your crabbing net to walberswick 8)

new road trip looks like fun :mrgreen: