Our 1970 Dormobile

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We dont have a dormy at the moment we have a Campmobile as this is my first camper and aircooled! My thread is on the gallery ist the one about Rocky It begins !
Enjoy and if your ever passing drop me a mail were not far from Dover!

Part 2 - Might have to make it 3 parts....
More pics from the trip. Enjoy.
We were booked in to stay at the camp site for 4 nights but when we drove to Cassis on the coast we realised we were miles from the coast so we flagged it after 2 nights and drove down to the coast.

Cassis is a great little port with F**k all parking. Good for a day on the rather crowded beach and some sun.
DSC_7758.jpg

There was a rather nice place on the cliff that I wouldn't mind.
DSC_7752.jpg

After ditching the campsite we picked another on the coast just south of Martigues
Nice spot close to the water, but it was rather cramped and very busy.
DSC_7774.jpg

But the beach was nice
DSC_7775.jpg

And there was a cool little church just up from the beach so took some nice shots of it as the sun was going down.

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

We checked out a couple of local spots and had a spot of lunch.
DSC_7792.jpg

We stayed at the campsite for one night and then drove around the coast and found a great spot which cost us £8 for the night. And just check out the spot!!! 8)
DSC_7799.jpg

Here is the view from our bedroom.
DSC_7807.jpg

As you can see we were a rose among many thorns :lol:
DSC_7794.jpg

From the coast we headed in land towards Parc National Des Cevennes where stayed at a site near St Guilhem Le Desert. A great place right on the river where we stayed for a couple of nights.
DSC_7831.jpg

The side of the river was like a beach.
DSC_7841.jpg

DSC_7834.jpg

We went for a nice lazy canoe along the river which was awesome as well. Was one of the highlights of the trip.
I can't recommend the area enough. Will be going back if we can.

A nice pic of the bus on a cool bridge in the area.
DSC_7862.jpg

Stay tuned for the final installment of our epic holiday!

Lovely pics :) Looks like you put together a good tour giving a variety of the flavors of this country.

The coastal areas do tend to be very busy in July and August. I remember one beach we went to some years ago, it was fortunate the woman in front had pierced ears or we wouldnt have seen the sea.

Great pictures and write-up.
Notice you are using a different hob on the inbuilt Dormy unit - any reason for this?

Looking forward to the 3rd instalment ;)

gninnam said:
Great pictures and write-up.
Notice you are using a different hob on the inbuilt Dormy unit - any reason for this?

Looking forward to the 3rd instalment ;)

Cheers dude.

No reason except I'm lazy..... :oops:

The gas bottle isn't permanently plumbed in so its quicker and easier to use out little portable cooker.

toastiemaker said:
Cheers dude.

No reason except I'm lazy..... :oops:

The gas bottle isn't permanently plumbed in so its quicker and easier to use out little portable cooker.

Fair 'nuff :mrgreen:

Last installment

I completely forgot about Montpellier! Just before we went to Guilhem Le Desert we went there.
Its actually quite a cool place.
IMG_0509.jpg

Once we left Guilhem Le Desert we went and had a quick look around Carcassonne.
I'd actually been once before but thought Mel might like a wander around. Way too touristy for my liking, but that's what we are and it is still incredible. Just the one pic though.
IMG_0527.jpg

We decided we'd stay near Montauban and pulled out the France Passion book. It felt a bid odd rocking up because no one was home! We picked a spot near their vines and made ourselves comfy. The owners turned up while we were starting dinner but they were very cool and we decided to try their wines. The wine was pretty good so we bought a few. (this is a reoccurring theme!!!)
DSC_7877.jpg

From here we headed towards Bordeaux nice and early. We had a really good wander round the city and fell in love with it. Big city but with all the pedestrian only streets it was actually quiet.
DSC_7889.jpg

DSC_7891.jpg

I even managed to find time at "lunch" (wine) to do some sketching. Mel doesn't mind it so much because this is the one thing I can multitask. Draw, talk, drink. But that's about it. :)
IMG_0649.jpg

We stayed near to Bordeaux at another France Passion sourced vineyard. Again, we tried the wines and again we bought several of their wines. They had a fantastic house and the throne room was second to none!

DSC_7899.jpg

IMG_0536-1.jpg

A toilet fit for a king!!
DSC_7895.jpg

In the morning we drove to Bassin D'Archachon and checked out the massive Dune Du Pilat which is massive. I also couldn't get over just how many people were there. Mental.
DSC_7906.jpg

We weren't too keen on Arcachon, but that could have been because it was a bit overcast so we decided to drive around the bassin and stay at an Aire right near the end of Cap Ferrit. The traffic was a bit slow going. I think everyone had the same idea as us.

It was a nice walk down to the beach from where we stayed.
DSC_7916.jpg

DSC_7918.jpg

On our way to Cognac we stopped off to pick up some supplies and came back to find us in good company.
DSC_7914-1.jpg

Again the France Passion book came out and we pulled out a cracker place to stay. It was an old chateau that use to be the home of the famous french poet Alfred de Vigny and it was incredible. Once again we went and tried the wines but this time there was cognac to try :D
He use to write his poetry in the tower apparently
DSC_7930.jpg

Nice little spot we had
DSC_7938.jpg

And we made ourselves at home
IMG_0563.jpg

After Cognac we moved further north towards Tours and yep, you guessed it, we stayed at another family run vineyard, tried more wine & bought more wine.

Unfortunately the battery ran out on the camera so we were left with our iPhones but we managed a few cool pics of the most amazing chateau! The French Royal Family use to live in it apparently.
IMG_0684.jpg

This isn't actually the chateau but I liked the picture.
IMG_0574.jpg

That's it. The rest of the holiday was spent driving to the ferry and seriously contemplating turning around and going back.

Hope you enjoyed.

Brilliant pictures and stories - many thanks for sharing 8)

You have given me itchy feet and can't wait to get my van on the road ;)

Great stuff. Enjoyed seeing your pictures and reading all about your trip. Reading it was like going on a mini holiday.

You came pretty close, at Montauban you were about 35mins from here. If your back this way then drop us a pm and we could meet up if you like.

Thanks for sharing. :)

well,i ve loved this thread my dormobile has been pissing me about for a while and ive left it on the drive and not thought much about it,but reading this and looking at your pics has given me a kick up the ass and starting 2moz im gonna start sorting it,cheers dude :D

I can't believe I'm doing this but after owning the bus for only a little over a year I'm having to sell it! :(

We've had an offer accepted on a flat in London and more importantly had funding approved by the bank.
The problem is that after 5 years renting fully furnished places its become apparent we need a fair amount of stuff to make it more of a home and the only thing we have of value is the bus!
The good thing is that its been agreed (the boss agreed) I'm allowed to put aside some money from the sale to kick start saving for the next bus. So watch this space.

Any suggestions on where the best places are to put an ad and what a reasonable price is are welcome.
Was thinking of putting it on here and Volkzone. With ebay as a last resort