Our early bay and other vee-dubs survived the Typhoon Ondoy!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DongKG

Reaction score
(To the Admin: I hope this topic fits this forum.)

It was a Saturday morning (26 Sept. 2009) and Typhoon Ondoy was shaking the entire Metro Manila! In Cainta, Riza1, were I live, five of our cars were flooded, (4 vws). Only our Pajero was saved because my wife had to go out to attend a meeting. When the flood was getting in our garage, I jacked-up all the cars using old wheels and spare tires. But my effort was inutile, the flood was rising about one inch per ten minutes.

The Karmann Ghia was practically under the flood. Only the roofs of beetle and Sharky 2 (Type 3) were exposed. Up to six Inches of the windshield of the Type 2 was flooded. It was about waist deep inside our house. Because of the flood, we stayed in our second floor. I did not sleep the whole night, I was monitoring the flood because I was prepared to swim in the event that the flood would reach our second floor. That night, we did not eat!!

The following day, Sunday, the flood was out of house but in our garage, the tires of the cars were still flooded. I immediately cleaned the interiors of the cars one by one and removed all the mud. That afternoon, I was able to start the engine of the beetle. At about 3 pm, my wife arrived nevertheless, the water on the road was still waist deep. She parked our Pajero on a higher ground and walked returning home. The following morning, Monday, I went to Marikina City to check my parents. My heart broke because the flood reached up the ceiling and it was only about 6 inches away from the second floor. But everything in the ground floor was damaged. But, I was glad, my parents were safe!

We cleaned the starters, carburators, distributors, spark plugs and changed the oil twice for the cars to start the engines.

One lesson I have learned, cars and material possessions are nothing, what is paramount is the safety and lives of my family. Cars can be fixed, houses can be cleaned, things can be bought, but the lived that were taken is a sad memory to reckoned with. There are so many lives that were lost and lifeless bodies were lined up in some places to be identified and be claimed by their relatives.

Thanks God we are safe and had survived to tell the story!

DSC_6578.jpg

DSC_6589.jpg

DSC_6616.jpg

DSC_6763.jpg

DSC_6619.jpg

DSC_6613.jpg

DSC_6599.jpg

DSC_6607.jpg

DSC_6660.jpg

DSC_6772.jpg

DSC_6626.jpg

DSC_6636.jpg

DSC_6622.jpg

The unsinkable Sharky 2 proved otherwise!!!
DSC_6612.jpg

DSC_6625.jpg

DSC_6610.jpg

DSC_6774.jpg

Our Type 2 on a test run!
DSC_6776.jpg

The flood level on our Type 2!
DSC_6779.jpg

I went to Marikina City! Mud was everywhere!

:shock: I am glad you and your family are okay , those pictures are just amazing and you are right your family's well being comes first. Keep up that positive attitude and you'll come out of this one just fine.

Wow! That really looks like it was a scary/worrying time.

And if you fancy selling the ghia... ;)

Wow your story and photos really show the true reality behind these events that mother nature throws at us from time to time - not just a news agency view. Glad you and your family are safe and well and good luck with bring your 'fleet' back to the standard they were before. Keep us posted, the personal view has far more meaning that any tv or newspaper report

glad you guys are okay, thats amazing to see what happened in a short space of time.
mine you just goes to show how rugged vws are that you got them all up n running again ;)

BTW love the last pic with the bay, the headlights are classic ;)

good luck with the clean up fella, atleast your family are safe ;)

ib-bus said:
:shock: I am glad you and your family are okay , those pictures are just amazing and you are right your family's well being comes first. Keep up that positive attitude and you'll come out of this one just fine.

I second that.

I will never complain about a bit of rain again.

Glad you are all okay and your family is safe fella.

Now get them dubs cleaned. spit spot! ;) :mrgreen:

wow, those photos are crazy! one good reason not to live in a bungalow!

I'm glad you got them all running again though, no modern electronics to fix.

Is that air con in the Ghia?

Happy no casuality's for your family :)

Like the way you describe saving, cleaning you VW's though :mrgreen:

Congrats mate on surviing something I would hate to see :shock:

AxlFoley said:
wow, those photos are crazy! one good reason not to live in a bungalow!

I'm glad you got them all running again though, no modern electronics to fix.

Is that air con in the Ghia?

does anyone want to buy a bungalow :shock: :shock:

glad all ok

This is really nice of you guys. All the vee-dubs are okay now. Though i need to check the electrical of teh Type 3, beetle and Karmann Ghia. Since i ove driving the baywindow during the weekend, I had its electrical checked and fixed. Wow! we cleaned the relays, fuses and lights. The headlight dimmer has damaged and also the signal lights blinker. I had them replaced.

After a couple of test runs, the alternator was malfunctioning. This was checked too.

And, yes that is an A?C unit on the Karmann Ghia.

Hahaha, I won't sell the Karmann Ghia, my wife will surely disagree on that idea.

This is the video i took when we were fixing the veedubs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44jJSnAXXh0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks vee-dub buddies!

Latest posts