Our South African 69 Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sucram

Reaction score
This was taken just after it was imported from South Africa in early 2004. She had been a church mini bus all her life until we bought her from the guy who had just imported her. The paint work is all original and so are the many dint's it has.

Beige68Bay.jpg

We've had it lowered, fitted a stainless exhaust system, changed the front seats for Rover 220 turbo items, we also removed the rear seats and fitted a rock n roll bed and made a couple of cupboards to get us going, more things to come as and when money allows.

68BaySunnyevevningp2.jpg

ok thanks... good luck with your bus and it looks sweet, i love em when there so origanal with warts and all.....

Scampi said:
Loving the colour!

I don't know what colour it is, but the South African colour code is 040/A.

Does anyone know the model and serial numbers for vans assemled in South Africa. Ours is model 224 then a 9 digit serial number.

Thank you for you comments

sucram

Great van dude, loving that colour.

There is now time for a beige revolution! 8)

volksnut said:
what brand seat belts are those and where did you anchor them to (3rd bolt)

They were in the van when I bought it. They mount to the original seat belt mountings, as for make I can't see anything on them, maybe something on the underside of the seat belt body so will take one out and have a look at some point.

nice van matey , good colour . looks good a bit lower , Nice !!!!! :p

andys said:
Thats a nice looking van.
How hard were the seats to fit.
Andy

Very easy really, had to remove some of the brackets that were fixed to the floor for the original seats, then it was just a matter of lining up the Rover seats where we wanted them, drilling four holes to mount the seats, job done. They are bit higher than the originals and sometimes I bang my head on the roof getting in and out of the van. Idealy I would prefer to have had the original seats, but they were beyond help and these seats came up at a cheap price at the time so we thought they would do for now and I must say they are mega comfy and suportive.

Well I'd totally forgot about this thread we'd started some nearly ten years ago :shock:

We haven't done a massive amount of stuff to our bus like some on here, but I will update when I can locate some old pictures off the computer.

Here's a pic from a few years ago.

VWCamperinsurancepics2010043.jpg

In 2006 whilst attending another car clubs national weekend we had a little accident. In the early hours of the morning we experienced a bit of freak weather in terms of a mini tornado that wiped through show field and up turned the car clubs 60ft party tent thing which then landed upside down on our van, needles to say it woke us up pretty sharpish.

The poles from the party tent damaged the front of the roof, slight dings to the front panel and damaged our brand new awning, but it could have been a hell of a lot worse.

The car clubs insurance paid for the repair work :D

Once at the body repair shop the winscreen was removed and it was quite easy to push most of the damage out by hand.

A little bit of more panel beating and it was nearly ready for prep and paint. Even though it doesn't show in the picture, the whole of the roof was take back to bare metal including the gutters, which were perfect.

We also had to have the front lower panel replaced as there was a tinny bit of rust developing. The whole of the front panel was repainted as were the front and rear bumper. Up to the point of the accident, all the paint work was original and in good order. :(

Latest posts