Oversized ball joints

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alzy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do these exist as i think this is what has been causing me 5 hours of grief this afterrnoon?

The the thread is smaller in diameter than the shoulder of the ball joint and wont fit into the spindle??

Is there 2 types???

Cheers

Alex

Right i think the ball joints are in wrong?

Should the thread on the bottom ball joint be facing up or down because at the moment itis facing upwards?? :oops: :oops: :oops:

cheers

alex

top ones face down, bottom ones face up.
bus balljoints are the same part top and bottom unlike beetles
good luck cos they are a nightmare! :wink:

now i really am confused as vwheritage just said that both top and bottom ball joints should be facing down???

He said beetle joints faceinto each other???

Cheers

all day yesterday i wastrying to sort this problem out!

I started with bolting the top balljoint in with camber nut,brake pipe bracket etc etc.

then jacking the top arm up so the hub could then be lowered in the vacinityof the bottom one.

Then slowly lowered the top arm and hub onto the lower joint but it didnt want to pop straight through.

Tried levering the hub with 6ft fence post but to no luck??

Its really doing my nut asits been the death of me for the last three weeks. what with getting arms positioned, jacking beam in etc etc

Any help ismore than gladfully appreciated

Alex

ignore what i said, they do both face the same way, monday morning! :oops:

i normally fit the bottom one and jack it towards the top one, can be a pain to do and you need a good jack. make sure you dont have the shock fitted
also make sure the van is secure!

Excellent :D :D Cheers for that!!

I was nearly gonna knock it on the head for getting it ready this year and wait til next year but ill get out there and swap left forright and that should be job done!!!!

Then ill get welding finished and minor checks for the big day!!

MOT

Latest posts