Paint Matching - Old VW for Halfords latest range.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baycan

Reaction score
Hi Volks

I'm in the process of re commissioning my 69 Bay. Its in the usual Pearl White and needs a few bits of localised paintwork.

I know I can get matched paint made up specially either at Halfords or through on line car paint suppliers but this can be quite expensive. So has anyone tried to match VW Pearl white with a similar 'off the shelf' can of spray paint from the modern paints available in Halfords. I did try VW Pastel White but this is just too 'white' when compared to the OG Pearl white on my Bay.

Any advice or suggestions most welcome.

Baycan.

Most motor factors will mix you a can up , prices are pretty samey from what I've seen.

hia, we went down the halfords route,3 tins later and all sorts of white at £6 a can..nearest was a FIAT white but still looks miles off.. so went for the bare primer look till full respray, would be interested which shade you found to match as ive run out of money ! :)

I just received 2 rattle cans from Paint4u.com of L581 cloud white and worked out about £25 delivered if thats any help ;)

simo

The best thing to do is avoid halfords paint, rattle cans are ok,but as the paint is made up is very small quantities the chances of both tins being identical are slim.

Remember that your paint has had a long time in the sun to bleach and fade. The only to do it properly is to spay the different paint shades onto cards to see which is the best match.

Then buy enough paint to do more than what you initially thing requires repainting.

Hope this helps.

Im my experiance Ive not yet found an off the shelf can that matched, also be carefull of ordering an L87 mix as the old paint and new will be worlds apart too, the best thing to do is take the fuel cap to a local paint supplier and get the match for YOUR bus. Just had some doors and the roof matched on mine and its bloody good!

Just

I took my front grill to the local car paint store and they matched my red to that. They 1st did a chianti red mix L31H but it was too burgundy so had to add 20g of TB59 to get a good match..!! :0)

Latest posts