paint spray repair help please!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluenose

Reaction score
Hi all, do we have any paint experts amongst us?

My van doesn't have a brilliant paint job but it does look decent and too good to justify a full respray, funds don't allow at the minute anyway!

There are a couple of issues I need to sort though. One is it's had a lazy spray job done with windows etc still fitted so I want to remove all my red under white borders and also the roof had been twatted on something at some point so there is a good size patch of surface rust on the roof and gutter.

I've got the paint shop colour matching me a 2k rattle can to the same white and this was there advice;
1. wire wheel the surface rust off
2. Sand the area and surrounding paint with P240
3. Prime
4. 2k
5. Blend paint and oversprayed area with P600
6. T Cut

Is this good advice?

My main concern is I have some primer over spray, so I decided to do a test area on it. So I gave it a rub with P600 as advised and T Cut it but just can't get it to shine. The test area is now matt white :shock: .

I worried I'm going to make it look worse than it did in the first place and need a full spray. :cry:

600is to coarse for polishing you need 1500 and 3m cutting compound or faracla same stuff and a mop elbow grease is to much hard work tcut is for reviving dead paint not 600 marks :lol:

If you mean a 2 pack rattle can I'd be careful with that - the stuffs lethal.

I'd use cellulose if I was you if you are spraying it.

ronnie12342003 said:
600is to coarse for polishing you need 1500 and 3m cutting compound or faracla same stuff and a mop elbow grease is to much hard work tcut is for reviving dead paint not 600 marks :lol:

I certainly have some 600 marks now lol. I do have one of them buffing machines to. Just so I get this exactly right, flat it with 1500 and then use cutting compound on the mop?

Do I need a clear coat as well or do I just mop the 2k?

Lee C said:
2k rattle can???

yea Jawel paint can mix them up, they said to use it within a day though as they put the activator in and it will go hard in the can.

Johnny69 said:
If you mean a 2 pack rattle can I'd be careful with that - the stuffs lethal.

I'd use cellulose if I was you if you are spraying it.

yea I know it's dangerous stuff. It's only some small patches so I'm thinking as long as I have it well ventilated where a mask and only do a little at a time with fresh air in between should be okay.. I know a guy who sprays entire vehicles 2pk with no breathing equipment, ,the knob lol

yes just polish the paint no need for laquer use laquer on metalics the 2k we use nowadays although it says its harmful its no where near like the 2k i started using in th 80s it containd iso cyanates ie cancerouse

I use 2k rattle cans a lot and the result can be stunnng. It doesn't harden inside the can because it needs oxygen to harden. I have cans that haven't been used for a year and they can still be sprayed.

ronnie12342003 said:
yes just polish the paint no need for laquer use laquer on metalics the 2k we use nowadays although it says its harmful its no where near like the 2k i started using in th 80s it containd iso cyanates ie cancerouse

thanks for advice mate, very helpful!

Resto-raider said:
I use 2k rattle cans a lot and the result can be stunnng. It doesn't harden inside the can because it needs oxygen to harden. I have cans that haven't been used for a year and they can still be sprayed.

Cool. I was just going by what the chap in the shop told me

I presume the guy in the shop knows what he is selling, just sharing my experience. But if it hardens within one day there isn't even time to send it to you overnight.

I painted the engine bay of my Mk1 Golf with 2k rattle cans.
Foto-47BTIZST-D.jpg

Foto-BYQFGQX4-D.jpg

Resto-raider said:
I presume the guy in the shop knows what he is selling, just sharing my experience. But if it hardens within one day there isn't even time to send it to you overnight.

I painted the engine bay of my Mk1 Golf with 2k rattle cans.
Foto-47BTIZST-D.jpg

Foto-BYQFGQX4-D.jpg

looks quality, will be happy if I get similar results!

He said it's something to do when they mix the activator in so I need to use it within a couple of days. Postage is no prob as it's local to me in Birmingham so he will make it up while I wait

How much are you paying for what size 2k rattle can? Ive got some touch ups to do to mine and was going to resort to a rubbish touch in penbrush.

SiDev said:
How much are you paying for what size 2k rattle can? Ive got some touch ups to do to mine and was going to resort to a rubbish touch in penbrush.

I haven't brought one yet as I'm still prepping the areas, plan to get it in 3 weeks or so. But it's about 12 quid, for I believe a 400ml can.

Get a big sticker on it!
That's what I'm gonna do!
In fact I'm starting a tred about it!

If your going to rub it down to bare metal first spray with etching primer to get a good bond then primer, always good to try a small area if there is old paint colour to make sure there is no reaction

Latest posts