Painting plastic trim?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mginty

Reaction score
South of Bristol somewhere in Somerset....
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Dormobile
Hi, I've been playing around with tidying up the various bits of plastic trim in my Dormi. Some of the trim is the hard plastic that surrounds the cupboards & doors, some is for the more rigid plastic around the roof cutout and there is some other more flexible trim.

To do this I've used Plastikote super primer and halford plastic primer, both of which came out fine. I've then tried a top coat of rustoleum painter's touch as this was a better colour match than plastikote but the problem is it doesn't seem to fully dry - after a few weeks it's still tacky and in the heat seems to get worse.

Has anyone got any thoughts/ tips on how I can do this better? Perhaps vinyl paint? Or this:
http://www.vinyldye.co.uk/
Thanks

The normal paints unfortunately as they are solvent based actually react with the plastic and never dry properly, if you use something like talc (on white) the power bonds and takes away the tacky. The plastikote paints don't do this B&Q do a nice range of non aerosol based that might help

Find out where you local auto paint shop is, take something down there so they can colour match and buy some plastic primer along with the choice of colour and your done.
I have painted westy handle before as you can't buy them in grey.

Latest posts