Passenger door

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Bean

Reaction score
Happy new year all, mot time!!! Passenger door won't open from the outside. Took door card off and exterior handle tried pushing it with a screwdriver but no joy. Any ideas anyone, thanks

UPDATE!! If I unlock the door from outside with the key I can then open it with the handle, but when I close it, it won't reopen, the door handle feels as though there's nothing there.

Is it an after market door handle. I have issues with one of mine. It will open but I can’t unlock it using a key. Although bizarrely I can lock it on the key.

I've had something similar, when I shut the drivers door from the outside it locked as well and I couldn't unlock it with the key. I think this was caused by me moving the lock latch as I opened it from the inside. Has only happened once or twice.

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

thejinx said:
Is it an after market door handle. I have issues with one of mine. It will open but I can’t unlock it using a key. Although bizarrely I can lock it on the key.

That sounds like the little spring has broken on the latch itself. You can replace them but fiddly

Hi this was the link I used years ago when I did my door locks, If the link still works I think it gives a part number for the spring. It is a good write up and worth a look. http://www.type2.com/rvanness/lock.htm

Thanks for the replies guys, I assume trying to buy the spring would be near impossible but will check out usual suppliers. And put a wanted ad up for complete assembly. Thanks matbow really helpful write up that.

Mr Bean said:
Thanks for the replies guys, I assume trying to buy the spring would be near impossible but will check out usual suppliers. And put a wanted ad up for complete assembly. Thanks matbow really helpful write up that.

I've bought replacement springs previously, I can't remember which supplier, but it was one of the major ones. I found that I had to bend a couple more could over to make the loop that it books on with, as by standard it was too loose and would probably have dropped off. Give them a good smear of grease and they shouldn't rust and snap in future!

Latest posts