PayPal payments

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big b

Reaction score
What's the world coming to when someones preferred payment through paypal is a gift when I'm willing to pay the extra charges ??

Something to hide maybe ? Or just nerves ? Really pee'd me off , surely we are both safer my way ???
What you think

Well I'm currently having issues with someone I gifted money too so I won't be doing it again. If your willing to pay the fees and they still won't accept Paypal then something smells fishy.

Can't understand why the buyer wouldn't go for this as surely it offers him greater protection.
Seems odd to me

There might be a tax or benefits issue if an audit trail of income can be identified? Thats all I can think of.

He said it was safer for him as I could just request my money back at any time! That was his only reason for cancelling the transaction ??? , but the thing is I can't get my money back until he has his part back also it would cost me more to return it as has to be signed for !
Then started getting a bit funny with me in private message , saying he knew he was right all along and his judgment is always right and he knew I was trying to rob him !

Never robbed a sole in my life and really wanted that part :-(

Sounds very dodgy, is the seller a regular user on here ? Most people on here are very good when it comes to selling.

Does the seller even know if a payment you make is a gift or not?

I just calculate the fees and then send the full amount - the seller might just get notification of funds in their account and not know whether it was a gift payment or not...

Must do as he returned my payment straight after I sent it :-(

What's the world coming to when someones preferred payment through paypal is a gift when I'm willing to pay the extra charges ??

It's not the guy selling shock absorbers is it? I ended up not buying them coz it made me suspicious :msn4:

Not sure on that one to be honest ! I was after a oil bath air filter

Big b said:
Must do as he returned my payment straight after I sent it :-(

Did you pay the full amount + fees in one go?

If so, that has got to be the shadiest reason ever for returning the money!!

I posted full amount including paying transfere fees mate and it was instantly sent back saying he wanted it as family and friend payment ,
And he was neither of these ? :-/

Clem said:
There might be a tax or benefits issue if an audit trail of income can be identified? Thats all I can think of.

I suspect Clem has hit the nail on the head... Don't get caught up in someone else's "possible" dodgy dealing ,walk away and put it down to experience.

Big b said:
I posted full amount including paying transfere fees mate and it was instantly sent back saying he wanted it as family and friend payment ,
And he was neither of these ? :-/

You'd think if there was some 'benefits payment' issue there, they'd just come out and say it. But to use the excuse of it being safer is just bull shit. Definitely walk away from that IMO.

:lol: you guys have some wild theories there :lol:

I asked for the payment as a gift as I have always done on every forum I have ever used and never once has anyone questioned it, mainly because I wanted to avoid paying paypal fee's. he still sent it as trader payment and I despite adding I still got less then the the price by a few pence that thats not the issue. This was not what I wanted so I immediately refunded the money..

The issue was not how it was paid for, it was how it was paid for in conjunction with the guarantees he wanted with the payment. i.e. item sold in working condition blah blah where I had already told him I didn't know whether it works as I had never used used it, I couldn't guarantee it and wasn't prepared too as we are talking about a 40 plus year old part which I have no experience of using. I bought it from another member on this site and didn't get around to fitting it before I sold my bay.

As far as I was concerned this was not going to be a case of try before you buy and I get lumbered with having my paypal account frozen and dealing with a dispute and probably losing postage too and from. I can't honestly see what could be wrong with an oil bath cleaner but this guy obviously doesn't know enough about what he is buying to ask for these types of guarantees.

It was a case of have a look at the picture, make an educated guess whether the item was worth the gamble of buying.

Asking for payment as a friend/family is no different to asking for payment via bank transfer.. it has no returns.. just like my item I was selling.

Apologies if this doesn't suit the ethnics of the forum but in a day and age where honest sellers have no protection anymore I have to do what I can, and felt it better to walk away from this sale.. hardly me being a thief of types

In fact I'm such a horrible bastard I sent him a link to another air cleaner on eBay where the seller took returns!

There's often two sides to every story :)

We've heard both sides, there's clearly been no mega scam going down, so I suggest we leave it there.

Thanks all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts