Pedal Confusion

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ex-2cv-er

Reaction score
Has anyone else got any experience with this particular pedal set up

17Sep-clutchpedalsetup.jpg

and more imprtantly, any leads on getting spares/replacements for it, springs and seals etc, as it seems to be a particularly unusual set up causing us lots of 'sourcing' headaches.

Any clues on whether its early bay specific, or pick up specific or even Aussie bay specific?

Its certainly not what himself expected to find when he went under there to dismantle it all :lol:

Just had a quick flick thru the Haynes manual and it says " Prior to August 1969 the brake and clutch pedals were mounted seperately after that (RHD only) had both pedals supported and pivoting on a common shaft"

The piccy in the haynes manual is identical to yours. re post August '69.

Dunno if this helps but at least some dates are there.

Thanks

So its a RHD thing possibly?

Is it common? Normal even?

Himself grovelled around under a good selection of early bays to see what was what, and none of them had this set up....but its possible that the majority, if not all, would have been lhd imports I guess :?:

From re-reading the Haynes manual your pedal cluster setup was only for RHD vehicles post August '69. It doesn't say if the setup changed again at a later date.

So I guess you were unlucky enough to look at LHD vans and pre-August '69 RHD vans. :roll:

Is there a problem with the cluster as is then :?:

Thanks for your help :wink:

Problem...ha ha you could say that

- The clutch pedal return spring is missing
- All the seals are shagged (or completely missing)
- The brass bush on the end of the clutch pedal is worn so badly, that the clutch pedal can be made to go in circles :shock: When you press down from above it leans right over to the left :roll: It'll hang right over to the right too if you push it that way :lol:
- The pin and clip for the return spring is non-existent
- Thrust washer is missing
- Lots of other stff generally shagged or missing

And no-one we'd spoken too so far had come across this pedal arrangement before :?:

Looking in parts catalogues, JK, VW Heritage, GSF etc etc, and all the available parts are for the more common pedal setup

I've got that setup on my 1970 RHD. I actually bought some later bay chassis rails for mine which came with the pedal linkage.The linkage is different to the later bays The main bar is a different length and the way the clutch pedal fits on the bar is different.The brake pedal end is the same though.I couldn't find any of the 1970 bits for sale so I had to cut the lot off my old 1970 rotten chassis rails and weld it all onto my newer chassis rails.I had to make a bush where the clutch pedal pivots,it was all a bit tricky and not what I had expected to have to do,but it all works now!

:shock: :shock:

Clutch pedal return spring- can you experiment with extension springs to suit?
Shagged seals- will come to me later- :D
Brass bush- Oilite bearings available, need ID, OD of what you need.. http://www.ondrives.com/products.asp?recnumber=888
Pin & clip-Is that on the clutch pedal?
Thrust washer-Probably nylon again need ID, OD.

I reckon most of the stuff you need is available, just not thru veedub sources.

If I can get some idea of the main shaft diameter (OD) and the brass bush internal diameter (ID) I reckon we could get it sorted. :lol:

I reckon somewhere like ondrives might just give you everything you need.

Seals- http://www.ondrives.com/products.asp?recnumber=171

Not definative but a start.

Latest posts