Piped heater fitting help and advise.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony73tt

Reaction score
Just wanted to know the advantages or disadvantages of having a proper heater in a bus. I have one in my airstream and it's superb. Can anyone please post pics of proper fitted. Also where do you have your gas bottle. Thanks.

Hiya, this is another on my list of jobs to do as I bought a propex on here on a group buy four plus years ago. Some have them under the rock and roll bed, some have the spare wheel well removed and have the propex just above the leisure battery and the one that I am favouring at the moment is under the passenger seat as that is space already lost and might keep the mrs a bit warmer as I`m not too big on heaters unless it`s seriously cold like icy maybe, the mrs is "Oh look over there ,, there`s a cloud in the next county, QUICK,, put the heater on !!!" then after six or seven seconds "Is that heater on ?" That`s the bit where I usually open the window. Oh back to the heater, yeah under the seat box but where to put the gas ?? I`m thinking of a smaller gas bottle for day to day and larger for cooking and camping and stuff, something about double the size of the disposable cooker bottles.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, It`s one hell of a ``to do`` list :mrgreen:

My propex is fitted under the bottom plinth in my kitchen unit, so out of sight and using what is effectively dead space. The small Gas Bottle (Bottle Gas ... sorry I always do that) is in a small compartment that the R&R bed slides over when put down.

Presently the hot air vent just vents into the rear section, and I have thought about piping it into the centre pipe underneath too to bring some heat up front, but i'm not sure how effective or controllable it would be. I also fitted the Vehicle In Motion bracket for the air inlet and flue so that we, so we have the option of having some heat on the go ... I know not everybody's a fan of that ... but I wanted the option, and it worked well when we drove up to Carlisle on Xmas Eve fully laden with Family, Pets & Presents.

To deal with the Heat up front ... and mainly screen demisting etc, I decided to fit 2 x Electric Heaters (They're out of a BMW convertible and are used to demist the rear screen and also warm it up a little before putting the hood down to prevent the screen cracking) Anyway, they're a snug fit in place of the 2 central screen vents and I've just capped off the top of the totem pole and removed the now redundant duct work. At this point I'm thinking some pictures of this would really help lol ... so i'll take some next time Winnie is out of the garage. Internally they've got an element and a bimetallic contact to prevent overheating as well as an inline thermal fuse. They pull about 6A each when they're running, and I've mounted a pull switch where the Heated Rear switch would be (on the vehicles that have one fitted) on mine. Don't get me wrong, they're not a mega powerful fans but do work a treat and keep the screen clear, and give a bit of heat up front, without the need for heating the whole van.

I think there's some pictures on my thread in the Gallery showing the Propex & Gas Bottle (Bottle Gas) locations etc

We obviously use Electric Heating when on hook up :D

Great answers.im going to do some homework on the fitting in my bus. Thanks much appreciated :D

Latest posts