##pop top to tin top##

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baj

Reaction score
hi there, my van had a dormie poptop fitted but it was not an original dormie conversion, the poptop was fitted badley(butcherd) so this was a good excuse to go tintop :) here some pics of what we done so far, enjoy baj :D
DSCN2913.jpg

DSCN2917.jpg

DSCN3072.jpg

DSCN3073.jpg

DSCN3078.jpg

DSCN3079.jpg

DSCN3085.jpg

DSCN3084.jpg

DSCN3081.jpg

DSCN3080.jpg

Looking good - certainly better than when it had the roof on :)

I'd have probably just put a webasto/sunroof type thing on - didn't consider you could weld it back up again - I assume you are using cut steel rather than buying in pattern parts to weld it back up?

hi all, didnt do anything today on bus as i had to go to hospital to have a wisdom tooth out :(
anyway back on it tomorrow ;)

bear's dad, did you find yourself a van then?

more pics to follow :mrgreen:

Got the same done on mine about three years ago and you really can't tell it's been changed back, to look at it and far preferable to a sunroof ( just my opinion ). It's also a lot less hassle than drilling out all the spot welds and doing a complete roof transplant.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

todays work update, welding nearly finished, striping paint nearly finished,
grinding & filling tomorrow :)
oh we had a little fire in the van too, pics baj :)
DSCN3089.jpg

DSCN3090.jpg

DSCN3088.jpg

DSCN3091.jpg

DSCN3095.jpg

DSCN3093.jpg

DSCN3101.jpg

well to honest it never really got finished, my week off went quicker then i thought.
it's all welded in, then the rain got to the bare metel roof :(
so with no more time off i removed the rust & rollerd the roof with hammerite & thats as it is now.
think when i can afford it i'm gonna buy a import tintop roof & have it done properly, but it will do for now.
this is the best pic i can find at mo.
Haltonvwshow044.jpg

baj said:
well to honest it never really got finished, my week off went quicker then i thought.
so with no more time off i removed the rust & rollerd the roof with hammerite & thats as it is now.
think when i can afford it i'm gonna buy a import tintop roof & have it done properly, but it will do for now.
Haltonvwshow044.jpg

That's amazing, looks super good, just needs a 3 bow roof rack :mrgreen:

Bear's Dad said:
Looks good from the pic.

Where are you thinking of getting a roof from?
not sure yet, will try some of the breakers that are on here, scott wilson, skp.
wont be for a while though :)

windsurfer said:
baj said:
Haltonvwshow044.jpg

That's amazing, looks super good, just needs a 3 bow roof rack :mrgreen:
have to agree with you there it defo looks better in the pic & funny you should say about a 3 bow rack, as i have one sat in my shed :D

i got myself a compleat tintop roof in good nick too :)
so when funds allow i'll get it fitted.
100_1539.jpg

100_1543.jpg

100_1545.jpg

thanks baj

type2tattoo said:
I will look forward to seeing that go in, although I think what you have done looks good enough :)

thanks, the roof on van at moment looks better in pics than in real form, i'll take some pics of bad bits in a bit. :)

Bear's Dad said:
Nice roof - where did yo find it?

i put a wanted add up on volkszone & on here, & some one from volkszone had one in there garden that they were using as the roof of a log shed :lol:
& it was only in bournmouth which is about an hour up the road from me, so worked out well.
just need to get it fitted now ;)

right... here some pics of what the roof on my van looks like at moment, it would of needed so much filler on it, it just wasent worth it.
100_1549.jpg

100_1551.jpg

100_1550.jpg

100_1546.jpg

100_1547.jpg

Latest posts