pop top westy dilemma for newbie

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pottinger

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Haven't posted much but daily visitor and trying to get my first bus.

ABSOLUTELY love white pop top westy's lowered but not narrowed on
nice rims that i can camp with kids etc and use as extension of a tent
BUT not so extremely modded the camp-a-bilty side has gone.

NOW, have seen stuff offered and it seems most fresh import projects are all
5-8k but not something I want to do.
I need something that doesnt need anything more than tinkering / improving.

It seems there are a few 8-12k buses but in need a bits doing.

Then there is the 12k and above market which varies massively, ie gadget boys Citrus Vally bus
sounds like a steal with the work thats gone into it but is too extreme for my useage I think.
Then theres all the trade doing re-spray restos for 15 - 23K.

Now, your advice (good or bad) is welcolmed on this. I have seen a bus at T2D and it would be
sprayed and done at a good price 16-16.5k pop top westy (would have CSP disc upgrade too), and having met Paul
there found them to be a real nice bunch of guys and he spent a long time with me going through
my options (I had been to see another bus there but immediately realised I wasnt a fan of the look of
severe narrowing).
My question is, do you think buying a 8-10k bus and trying to get the work done to bring it up to scratch
would make that much difference in price ? Also, I beleive T2D have a good name on the scene but wondered
what your opinions are. Normally, i trust myself/judgement on all things like this BUT and this is thanks to this site
the rule book for buying a normal car does not apply to buying a camper and get it wrong and you will be
put off forever from the mark.

Any feed back guys would be invaluable and thanks.

Pottinger.

speak to GrahamL - he could source you the exact bus or help

I suggest looking on thesamba - purely to get a feel for what is the current price.

It'll cost £1500 ish to import possibly slightly more...I did mine myself with assistance from Tim at Roadhouse, it is , or can be, quite stressful. So some opt for letting the likes of Graham to deal with that, but there is rightly an operating cost and small profit factored in.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1084947" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for eg - about same money £ as $ by the time it gets here

pottinger said:
I have seen a bus at T2D and it would be
sprayed and done at a good price 16-16.5k pop top westy (would have CSP disc upgrade too),

If you can raise the money then this will be a good sorted van done as you require. Sounds a good solution.

I'm probably out of touch but 16.5k sounds like a lot of money - due to the recession I've seen sorted splits go for less, I'm not saying T2D quality isn't there but I sometimes wonder if there is a slight additional premium to it being a T2D bus? I guess that you perhaps pay for the reputation that T2D has gained and piece of mind that brings.

My point is to look at lots, drive lots and speak to a few people in the trade...also depends on how handy you are and willing to help the process. Some folks just want to buy and drive and are able to do that financially, some can't and need to look at the less expensive but longer route to perfection. :D

Clem said:
pottinger said:
I have seen a bus at T2D and it would be
sprayed and done at a good price 16-16.5k pop top westy (would have CSP disc upgrade too),

If you can raise the money then this will be a good sorted van done as you require. Sounds a good solution.

Thanks Clem, thats the dilemma, i am thinking this should be my route to bus ownership too just worried
blowing quite a stack of money when at this price or a bit less there are quite a few options and buses
if you get me.
Just T2D are quite local to me and think they are ace guys and as far as i can tell have a very good name on the scene, but commiting to something this big when I have barely driven any buses is quite some leap of faith etc etc ;)
Wish I had the time to get down to dubfreeze but things just arent working out that way at the mo :cry:

cheers
potti pottinger

Im near Type2 too and have had work done there on several busses so if you want to have a chat then pm me your number.

I know it's a lot of money, more than I could spend, but I assume that if it's an option then the op is wanting a drive away bus rather than a project.
T2D are big business in the scene and won't be the cheapest, but the price quoted isn't out of line for a dealer supplied camper that's all done.

I bought a £6k import and went from there myself, that's a route I'd suggest to anyone who is inclined and able ... But it won't suit everyone.

:)

Clem said:
I know it's a lot of money, more than I could spend, but I assume that if it's an option then the op is wanting a drive away bus rather than a project.
T2D are big business in the scene and won't be the cheapest, but the price quoted isn't out of line for a dealer supplied camper that's all done.

I bought a £6k import and went from there myself, that's a route I'd suggest to anyone who is inclined and able ... But it won't suit everyone.

:)

I agree - I too bought an import for small money and have been grafting my way up.

Perhaps my viewpoint is too biased from personal experience and opinion.

If the OP has the money then T2D will be very helpful and deliver, me personally I think the same result could be achieved for less but may not be a one-stop-shop - I would also speak to other traders though even if you're 75% sure where your hard earned is going to be spent - it'll cement things or lead to something better.

For eg

Midland EB or Scott to import [titivate bodywork too]
Gadget or slamwerks to do suspension
Laurie Petitt or Autotechnics to put the engine together
Get a 'non scene' auto upholsterer to make over the interior
Faux to replace Westy canvas, plus add a conti bed

but I am a skinflint :lol:

Also I would seriously,depending on timescales make sure you see and drive a few, possibly even at the VolksWorld show....if mine is there you can happily take it for a spin, 68Westy, 1745cc T1, Transporterhaus spindles [71 disc brakes], slamwerks adj springplates and a vwspeedshop uprated gearbox.....

The only thing wit buying an "already done " bus is that all the thing that go into making it , YOUR bus ie Wheel choice , interior, suspension set up engine etc will have been done to someone elses taste ,

So with that in mind I would buy a good solid bus from USA if possible get it on the road and build it over the years to suit you and your family .

Just my opinion fella , Also in suffolk, :?

There is a meet at Stonham Barns in March go along and have a look at peoples buses 8)

Hi & thanks for the recommendation guys.

We can source buses to suit any budget to be honest and as Grazy points out the bus can then be built to your spec, we tend not to do anything to an imported bus until a customer has bought it, we then discuss what you want us to do and what you are happy to do yourself, that way you get more for your budget.

We have a range of tintops in at the moment and a westy on the way but I know of another 3 westies for sale at a range of prices.

Best to give me a call or pop over and have a chat,

Grazy said:
The only thing wit buying an "already done " bus is that all the thing that go into making it , YOUR bus ie Wheel choice , interior, suspension set up engine etc will have been done to someone elses taste ,

So with that in mind I would buy a good solid bus from USA if possible get it on the road and build it over the years to suit you and your family .

Just my opinion fella , Also in suffolk, :?

There is a meet at Stonham Barns in March go along and have a look at peoples buses 8)

Hi Fella

This is the route i took and would take again. Get yourself a solid bus first and foremost, then adapt it to your own taste as time/funds allow. Thing is you will think you like a certain look/settup, but ill bet as time goes on you will try out different settups and your tast/needs will change :roll: This way you can deside whilst using your bus what you want out of it without having spent a load of extra £££s on someone elses tastes.
Good luck

Just

a point i'd make on this is that getting a bus in the 6 - 10k budget you'll get out and use and be slightly less protective of, if i'd spent 16k on a bus i wouldn't let my dog or any kids anywhere near it and that'd be kind of missing the point.

Hey Pottinger,

I was in exactly the same place as you 8 months ago, bundle of cash in my pocket, I knew what I wanted (or so I thought), I looked long & hard, but the more I looked, the more I realised I had a very different impression of "rust free & solid" to many who were selling buses.

Sure you can replace most parts, but having seen just how much work can be involved in bringing even the most solid bus back to spec, my advice would be to buy the best unmolested bus you can afford, sure the panels under the windscreen etc can be replaced, but the money spent there could be used on the purchase price to get a much better overall bus that will be straighter, stronger & more original.

My advice would be to go & see, discuss, talk etc with as many sellers as possible, there are lots of buses out there & even more people who will promise the earth, but only a few who can truly deliver.

My only other piece of advice would be befriend someone who knows the pitfalls, but does not have a vested interest in your purchase, there are quite a few on here who can help.

Good Luck :D

Think we've all been in the same situation at some point or another, the only advice i can give is (as already said) by the best bus you can afford.
Even then you are going to personalise it (wheels, suspension, interior mods, engine, brakes etc etc) but if the body is solid then thats 90% of the battle already won.
If your going to spend in excess of £15k then i would want a complete fully restored bus with documented proof of what was actually done and dont let your heart rule your head.

A good example of a £16k bus is the one that slammedresto is currently selling, previously restored and imported by ib-bus (vanfest 2010 bus) http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21858 and then by slammedresto http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26539 and even after all of this its now having a full re-spray even though its up for sale http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28576.

Gadgets Citrus valley bus is another bus at this price http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28153 and just goes to show you the level of workmanship i would expect at this price range.

1 is fully resto'ed to near enough original spec and the other is resto'ed and heavily modded. Both very cool buses in there own way but different ends of the scales

Loads of good advice here and I would make a few suggestions too:

* Drive a few to see if it is your bag......it will be, but just to be 100%

* Keep researching and do not rush into anything. Good buses are out there for reasonable prices.

* Go with your head, not heart and with someone who knows what to look for.

* Buy the best you can for your money.

* If it is painted or restored (there is a difference), you will need to see before and during pictures.

* If you buy from a dealer, ask around what their aftersales service is like, if you pay a premium you want good aftersale service.

Good luck.

Jon

Thanks fellas,
EVERYONE has been rearly cool with there advice, and it has made alot of sense.
Think I need to take a step back and have a little bit more of a think.

I will say that the bus should be personal to me, as the build hasnt taken place on
it yet and I could say pretty much what I want it to be etc.
Just been looking for so long and as I am buying it as a company before my year
end (1st april), I will be saving 22% corp tax on the profit (unless i spend it ;)
so ie, 16k bus will effectively be a 12.5k bus if ya get me.

So even more of a dilemma !

thanks again everyone,
Pottinger

i guess it depends on much you want to involve yourself with your bus. Personally i like to learn as i go and make my own mark. but i know others who just want the finished product and this suits them better.
I looked at loads, and yes peoples idea of rust free does vary. I also saw some cracking buses, exactly what i wanted as a finished project, but with not enough evidence/documented proof of the resto. so i opted for a what you see is what you get and ended up having to weld a small patch on the back of the front inner wheel arch and thats it! as for the dents and scratches, well until the kids are grown up and while were still piling all our gear, sand, surfboards, dogs etc there's no point in changing it - just trying to make the most out of using the old girl.
I bought a standard import beginning of last year and its just kind of evolving as funds permit. thing is, i have found that ideas change quite quickly especially as the bus is used, so you kind of tailor the mods to suit your needs.
Starting on this forum is prob the best thing you could do, next is shows, clubs, local meets etc.
although the minute the show season starts prices tend to inflate slightly. I wouldn't necessarily be tempted by a bus just cos it was local though, after all America is a long way away!

good luck looking - hope to see your new purchase soon

Latest posts