portable solar panel

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radish

Reaction score
Has anyone got one? i'm thinking of one to trickle charge the leisure battery and charge phones and tablets for the kids who can't live without them!
i have searched and found some guys have put them on the roof rack but this isn't what i want.

Cheers Darius

Cornishsilver has, I thing the previous owner fitted it. Aogrady

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ive got a "suitcase" type portable 60w solar panel that keeps my leisure/main battery charged up when we are camping away for a while
Pretty much identical to this one - comes with all the kit to make it work and just clips to your leisure battery.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60W-folding-solar-charging-kit-for-12V-leisure-battery-motorhome-camper-caravan-/122624946831?epid=1805413149&hash=item1c8d04328f:g:hKsAAOSw9N1Vw-QL

Worked a treat on our recent two week trip to silverstone/Cotswolds and wales.
I just fold it out on the Westy luggage rack when we are all set up

Sam, I'm sure Aogrady was going to fit to his rack.

Cheers StuF i may go for something like this 50W, its £100 cheaper!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50W-12v-FOLDING-PORTABLE-SOLAR-PANEL-with-HANDLE-boating-motorhome-caravan-/332333144665?epid=1587627840&hash=item4d60995a59:g:t0AAAOSwnsZZhge0

Hi Radish, Make sure you get one with a controller or you may cook your battery or wiring, remember buy cheap buy twice

Just seen this one, Mine is mounted on the roof rack so can't give any advise I'm afraid other than its a big trade off giving up your roof rack space. I would probably have gone mobile like Stu if it hadn't already been done

89bb16910051a791b3e0a32955e96091.jpg

As Vinvan says, make sure you fit a controller too [emoji106]. My Van's on charge constantly when parked up in the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you get anything with suckers that holds inside the glass?

Was thinking of making use of those big glass Dormobile skylights!

Getting the wiring there and back will be another issue entirely however!!

Yep, I have it wired through the Cigarette Socket, the rocker switch is the on/off for the controller, and the output charges my engine bay portable light. I just switch off the controller when on hook-up, but wanted the convenience of being able just to plug in off grid. Have to say it works a treat in the garage, leisure and normal battery are always fully charged prior to any journey (I have the leccy off to the garage when i've got a tenant in the house where the garage is at)

I've been following the progress of the flexible solar panels and they are just about up with the fixed and rigid portable types now. I'm looking at fitting to my pop top. I know it's not at optimum because it's not aimed directly at the sun but it does get most of it most of the time. The only downside I can see at the moment is that you still cannot mount them directly to the roof , they still need to have a small gap to allow air around them to save the panel from cooking itself. Some of the installs on U Tube will make you cringe with people wandering around on the roof of their '''R. V. s''' wth cables big enough to berth the Queen Mary running all over the place and enough panels to power a small country.
On a separate note, I was at a show somewhere in Cornwall several years ago, it may have been the Jamboree but I'm not sure. I saw a Bay window there with a mid mounted engine between the front seats and had a trolley jack sat in the regular noisey cupboard. At the same show I saw some home made solar panels and they had used the two rear most side windows as the basis of the solar panels. I couldn't find the owner or anyone that knew anything about it. So might be worth an investigate.
I'm still cooking with the flexible idea though, so they are out of the way and no one knows they are there. Maybe with a small wind shroud / shield like for a sunroof.

Ozziedog ,,,,,,,, very very interesting

vinvan said:
Hi Radish, Make sure you get one with a controller or you may cook your battery or wiring, remember buy cheap buy twice

Yep mine has a controller and voltage indicator incorporated on the inside of the panels - simple as connecting the crocodile clips to the leisure battery and away you go. We can even hear the split charge clicking across to top up the main battery when the sun up and the leisure battery is full

I got a 100w panel that is on 5m leads so place in the sun and move when needed.
Controller is mounted inside engine compartment above leisure battery.
I run the leads down the air intake into engine compartment to plug in.
Have also fashioned two S shaped hooks and if need be I hang the panel on the side
of the bus in the early part of the day or later when sun is low. Saves space as well.

J & P
:D :D :D

Latest posts