Portlock Hill

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1969hank

Reaction score
Hi,

First time posting on is awesome forum after a year or so of just watching from a far!!

I'm setting off on my first camping experience in my camper (after about a year and a half of refurb work) and have planned a trip from Somerset into Devon and then back up to south Wales and on to home in the midlands, but the other day I was telling someone my plans and they looked horrified when I said I was planning on taking the old boy around the coast road from Somerset to Devon including going up portlock hill. I was warned that it will make everyone on board sick from the bends and make my 1641cc sick from the gradient!! I just wanted to see what the consensious is for portlock hill and any of your previous attempts to get up it!!

Cheers

Porlock Hill :shock: been up it a few times but not in a Bus, the problem is you turn a bend then all of a sudden it's in front of you, with the gearing of a Bus & strong engine can't see a problem I would rather go up it than down it. There is a Toll Road that avoids it but never used it. the hill is very steep but not that long & on reaching the summit you have views all over the Channel & surrounding country side it's fantastic. :D
Go for it.

Hi!

I live in North Devon, this is local to me, went up and down Porlock, and Countisbury Hill on Sunday.

IMG_20120708_215102.jpg

IMG_20120708_215347.jpg

This is coming down Countisbury Hill which is also a 25% gradient. I had already been up and down Porlock and Lynmouth Hill at the bottom of Countisbury, again 25%, earlier in the day as we were off to Minehead, and it's a nice trip across the moors from my house in Instow.

Porlock has some tight bends, but i always slow down and let the traffic pass, first gear, off we go, no problem at all. I have a stock Westy with 1600TP, drum brakes, no servo. Going down, I like to u

se 1st gear also, it's a bit slow, but easier to control your speed, if fact 1st is that low you dont need a lot of braking as the engine does a far bit. Just take it easy, dont worry about the cars behind, they will pass if they are that desperate.

On the downhill bit towards Porlock after you have climbed Countisbury Hill, there is some laybys where you'll see the camper vans parked up watching the view, on a clear days it's awesome, normally a ice cream van there too - which is what we did on Sunday.

IMG_20120708_214851.jpg

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Alistair

Would have no problem going down it, but not sure I would be able to get up it..!

I was there a few weeks ago (not in the van) and one of the group had an an older car, they couldnt get up it

valbarley said:
Would have no problem going down it, but not sure I would be able to get up it..!

I was there a few weeks ago (not in the van) and one of the group had an an older car, they couldnt get up it

Maybe the fact that the bus has a very low first gear helps, mine goes up there no worries, the engine does get hot, but not excessively, only what you would expect from lugging it up that hill! Anyway, ideal place to stop and have a ice cream at the top, and chill out and enjoy the view!

Cheers,

Alistair

i`ve been up it fully loaded with a stock twinport with no problems at all in fact i got stuck behind a coach going slower than me and i was in first gear most of the way............your bus will do it no probs and the views are great , well worth it :mrgreen:

and its porlock by the way

No problem in mine, been up several times their is also the toll road which is kinder and pretty

ooro said:
i`ve been up it fully loaded with a stock twinport with no problems at all in fact i got stuck behind a coach going slower than me and i was in first gear most of the way............your bus will do it no probs and the views are great , well worth it :mrgreen:

and its porlock by the way

That was gnarly when we did that Steve. Yeah thank God for that coach! Might have been a bit embarrasing otherwise....

Went camping earlier this year at Cloud Farm in Oare, the other side of Porlock Hill towards Lymouth and ventured up the hill and came back down on way home.

The old bus made it no probs, first gear and low revs on the tight bends and steep bits.. :D

Florencethecamper.jpg

Florencethecamper343.jpg

Also went to Lynmouth, here she is resting after climbing back up Countisbury Hill.. 8)

I don't know what you girls are going on about, I used to ride my pushbike up Porlock hill. :lol:

I've just come back from Porlock had to pop over there today, was half tempted to have a run up the hill in the car but I didn't have time.

1969hank said:
Cheers for all your input!! Despite your evidence for going up and down it the gf is having none of it and is demanding the toll road!!! maybe i'll just miss the turn :lol:

IIRC the toll road is also a 25% incline, and does have tight bends also......thinks it 2.50 to go up it too. There is a gate normally across the road, a lady will come out and collect, or i think there is a place to put money if the gate is open. Been up there before - i went to fix the dishwasher in there holiday let! ;)

Alistair

Latest posts