Possible Ban on Classic Cars

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfie_girl

Reaction score
Apparently there are proposals floating about to ban the use of classic cars. For example, Edinburgh is supposed to be thinking of preventing vehicles over 15 years of age entering the city centre.

I only just learnt about this, although it doesn't suprise me. Seems pointless since there are so few classic cars about anyway. Plus keeping an older vehicle on the road has got to be better than using lots of new materials making a new one.

This is a link to a petition against the ruling:
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Classic-Cars/

Signed and completed.

What a load of shit! :evil:

signed - what a load of bollox - does Gordon Brown want any votes?

Seems like its already starting or going to start in Germany. I work in London and there are plenty of old Cavaliers and Mondeos of that vintage but what we term Classics? Very few, and the few I see are often well maintained, and driven far more sensibly than most. Someone in the Government needs to find out the difference between a classic and a banger. I suggest vehicles over 20 years old have a special 'Classic plate' that makes you tax exempt, and restriction exempt providing you stick to a set annual milage, if you want to do more miles or use your classic commercially you pay tax etc after all who burns more emmisions my 1000 miles a year or a company reps 1000 miles a week? No offence to company reps who own early bays.

wibbler said:
Someone in the Government needs to find out the difference between a classic and a banger.

I agree. Whoever it is that came up with this idea is after removing vehicles that have high emissions due to wear or bad maintainance. Effectively calling anything over a certain age a 'banger' is inaccurate, unfair and lacks thought. If they do have to pursue this issue, an individual test on a vehicle (of any age) would be a more sensible way to go.

another bloody e-petition :roll:

it's a load of nonsense. there is no proposal to ban classic cars, and edinburgh council aren't planning to ban them. plus, no-one listens to an epetition which mickey mouse has signed in triplicate

if you want to be concerned, think about what road pricing will mean for classic cars that are currently let off the road tax and the likely rise in carbon (oil) costs over the next 50 years

but then think about your kids having an island thats as densely populated as hong kong due to massive climate change migration, and prospect (probably closer to home) of a journey to work that takes longer than your day at work

everything is connected. you can't live in a bubble all your life going "la la, not my fault, they did it, can't hear you, leave me alone"

<replaces soapbox>

baron said:
another bloody e-petition :roll:

it's a load of nonsense. there is no proposal to ban classic cars, and edinburgh council aren't planning to ban them. plus, no-one listens to an epetition which mickey mouse has signed in triplicate

if you want to be concerned, think about what road pricing will mean for classic cars that are currently let off the road tax and the likely rise in carbon (oil) costs over the next 50 years

but then think about your kids having an island thats as densely populated as hong kong due to massive climate change migration, and prospect (probably closer to home) of a journey to work that takes longer than your day at work

everything is connected. you can't live in a bubble all your life going "la la, not my fault, they did it, can't hear you, leave me alone"

<replaces soapbox>

I agree entirely. :)

I try not to be contentius on this forum though! :wink:

HAHAHAHA......well lets all just love :D If some rule came in to charge me more cause my car creates more pollution, then I would pay it just cause they are right :D and I love my van but my aim is to use more public transport to get to work anyway, just cause I think its sensible to do so, as I do have that option :D

I can't see the government doing anything anyway, but lets not worry to much and have a BBQ

How did we get from saying that it's unfair to have a ban (whether or not it really will happen in this country) based purely on the age of a vehicle to this:

baron said:

<replaces>

:roll:

wibbler said:
if you want to do more miles or use your classic commercially you pay tax etc after all who burns more emmisions my 1000 miles a year or a company reps 1000 miles a week? No offence to company reps who own early bays.

my new rep mobile is a prius :wink:

wolfie_girl said:
How did we get from saying that it's unfair to have a ban (whether or not it really will happen in this country) based purely on the age of a vehicle to this:

baron said:

<replaces>

:roll:

quite easily really

why would you ban classic cars? the only vague reasons, other than to p1ss us off (and even government ain't that stupid), are related to conjestion and climate change.

I'd really welcome a proper debate about how we can cope with the negative effects of conjestion, or how we can all play a difference on climate change. but it's hard to have that debate when everyone immediately concludes, "oh no, this might mean change for me. change is bad, boo, hiss etc etc"

all I'm trying to say is that everything is connected, maaaan :wink:

I don't think change is bad :D But I am used to daft sounding ideas being proposed so I won't completely dismiss the idea, just in case oneday... :shock:

I've done more reading about the 'ban' and it does seem to be an urban myth that's developing for the usual reasons. Anyway I think we can all go back to sleep now. :mrgreen:

wolfie_girl said:
I don't think change is bad :D

and I wasn't suggesting you do personally, so sorry if that's how it read

and of course, if/when they do try and ban the classics I'll be right beside you as we march on downing st, sister :mrgreen: (nice emoticon, needed that earlier :wink: )

I like shaggys BBQ idea, fossil fuel or not and a Prius makes sense but you cant lower it and if your worried about congestion and over population lets just drive closer together or go to London where the congestion charge has made everything great.

Latest posts