Pre-purchase inspection

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrApollo

Reaction score
Hi,

First post, so I’ll firstly say hello and greetings from Switzerland.

Does anyone know of, or can recommend, someone in the Essex/Suffolk area who can give an expert opinion on an Early Bay? We are looking at privately purchasing a van, then exporting it to Switzerland, where we currently live. Some friends of ours have given it the once over, but for peace of mind it’s probably best to get a mechanic to take a look.

I’m not after a 200 point test report, but an honest opinion of someone who knows what they are talking about. We had a Morris 1000 Traveller for many years, so I’m going in with my eyes open…

Alternatively, would a fresh MoT pick up the main things to worry about?

Many thanks. Mark

I wouldn't trust an MOT as a pre purchase inspection. A van may get through an MOT inspection, but it could easily still be a horror show.

It might be worth posting up a link to the ad. There are many eagle-eyed forum members who although might not be able to view it in person, but could give you a list of things to look at off the back of someone’s description / photos of the van in question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point.

Any thoughts or comments on the linked would be gratefully received.

https://www.justkampers.com/marketplace/advert/view/id/8462/

Many thanks

Hmm, are those pictures in the ad current? They mention that they had the lower half resprayed so that the colour matched, but there is clearly a mismatch on that front panel. Wondered if that is actually an old photo.

Also, the van had a lot of work done in 2010, but shortly after had a new front panel and arch - makes you wonder how good the original resto actually was.

The front panel is not correct for the age of the van, but I guess that comes down to personal preference.

£24k is strong money for a van, particularly one that has undergone a lot of work fairly recently and could be hiding a multitude of sins that will become more apparent over the coming years.

Hi Moseley, thanks for the comments. Out of interest, how can you tell the front panel is incorrect for the age? I think some of those images are fairly old, however, I have photos and video taken last weekend, which don't look that different, apart from the now matching paintwork.

Further comments from others gratefully recieved.

I would want to see the underside to look at how it was lowered and the quality of any welding and whether it needs more.
For example; blobby welds, rust holes and patches on patches means walk away at that price.
RAC used to offer inspection service to members and maybe still do.
Kwik-fit I think offer a free brake check that would also let you get it up on ramps.
But it sounds like the issue is finding someone to look at it whose opinion you could trust.

Can’t help but think that at that price you could do better,that’s trader (t2d etc) money

MrApollo said:
Hi Moseley, thanks for the comments. Out of interest, how can you tell the front panel is incorrect for the age? I think some of those images are fairly old, however, I have photos and video taken last weekend, which don't look that different, apart from the now matching paintwork.

Further comments from others gratefully recieved.

It has a small (late bay) front badge on it. It is likely that a replacement front panel was added during one of the refurbs. The downside to the late panel is that the grill / indicator area will have had to have been plated over and the grill corners rounded off to suit the early grill. Also, the badge is probably sat on a panel bulge, whereas the early front panels are flat behind the badge.

All of the above ^^ and ...

The images of the long panel look like its not straight at all -

d1a364f07a805e6259b43c66db9e7fed_5ca670a4ad7fb_123.JPG

Sliding door side looks similar -

d1a364f07a805e6259b43c66db9e7fed_5ca670a2eaf08_beryl_wedding_photo.jpg

Seeing this, and on the basis that its a repaired rhd bus then I'm out at that money.

And I might stand to be corrected, but I don’t think that flared rear arches were fitted to 1970 vans?

Moseley said:
And I might stand to be corrected, but I don’t think that flared rear arches were fitted to 1970 vans?

Looks like a 71 model year (5 x 112 wheels) so the arches are correct

Many thanks for all your comments and feedback, clearly some knowledgable people out there.

Mate, you can get so much better for the money! As said thats strong for any bay! There are some proper honest buses out there for less paper than that.

Can get a decent OG paint westy for that money!

Thanks, I've come to that conclussion. Also a little too far from origianl mechanical spec to get it past a Swiss 'MoT' inspection (they wear white gloves, if they are not still white at the end of the inspection, you don't pass...). Got my eye on another one now, had a mate and his mechanic friend give it the once over, so am much more confident in making a decision.

Latest posts