Price of a crossover bay??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini.rich

Reaction score
Hi there, I hope this is the right section, if not i'm sorry. As I'm new to bus'es I'm after some advice on what sort of price i should be paying for the bus on the link below. Considering that there is rust under the windows, the vent at the back needs sorting(panel is included), interior is a bit tatty and just generally needs a tidy.
I'm going to view it this week and just need to be sure of what i should think of as a good price to offer. I've got a good idea of the areas i should be looking in for rust, but if you know of anything i should be looking at please let me know :)

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=568261

Thanks for your help :)

Richard

Hi!

Well aside from rust anywhere in the lower 6 inches, battery trays, sills, floor, front and rear chassis, lower valence, under windscreen etc etc - maybe a good idea to look at some resto's in the gallery section - or if people are reading this, they will post a link to there own resto, so you can get a good idea where theses buses go rusty, and what to look out for - thinks that look solid can all to easily be covered in filler, so take a little magnet, try it on a modern car to give you a "feel" of what thickness metal V filler you may encounter.....

I can see yours was resto-ed some years back, but the above still applies. Also panel gaps and filling over the original joins can be indicative of something fishy underneath. The rear engine hatch looks like a big gap at the top - worn or loose hinges - or poorly fitted resto panels

Interior looks usefull - check under the flooring is poss, lift the matts in the front cab - check the footwells and arches for filler.
Dont worry if the interier isn't what you want or colour - as this can be sorted at a l8r date - it's all about the bodywork - a good solid van will set you in good stead for many MOT's to come! ;)

Mechanics. OK, current MOT a bonus - but remember, it's only valid the day it was taken, doesn't mean that 6 months down the line it'll still be good. Brakes for example, leaking/and/or stuck calipers. I think a 72 has one year only calipers, but kits are available to change to l8r ones.
Oil leaks. Well, ok, most old VW's will have a little leak somewhere, but if the underneath is riddeled with them, well, it may well need work - pushrod tubes always a favorite. Check for smoke on start up when cold, and rattling from the engine - a T25 2 litre, i think has hyd tappets, so should be quiet-ish. Any oil from the engine can leak onto the heat exchangers and cause smoke and fumes to be drawn into the vehicle - so check this, and the operation of the heating, i'd be wary of any disconneted heating - why? Is it trying to mask a problem - like blue smoke on the cabin 'cos of nackered push rod tubes leaking onto the large heat exchangers? When connected correctly, they work well.
You may well need bushes or joint like track rod ends, or rubber boots like CV. If your spanner handy, this isn't a worry. All fairly simple to sort - but are MOT things.

The van your looking at has been lowered, how? Cut and turned beam, or adjusters? Guess it's running standard shocks which may be why it's bottoming out - or could be the ball joints bottoming out (not good) or the drive shafts bottoming out on the chassis rails.........Lowered busses can ride well, if done well, and well thought out, but poorly lowered busses can ride awefull!
Personally i would prefer a more stockish bus in this area - so I can decide how i want to lower it, some mods are not that easy to revert back to stock....less problems, but not as cool looking.

See if the seller is happy for a test MOT to be carried out, if you were serious of buying - 40 quid for you to see what you are likely to be spending your hard earned on very soon if you aren't carefull is a small price to pay. He will say - well it's got a MOT, yes it may have, but that may have been 6 months ago, and it's sat there for the last 5 months with stuck calipers.........

Rust can be a nightmare to sort well, all the trinkets and stuff inside the van is simple to replace/rebuild. Try to look at the overall van - don't impulse buy cos it looks good and low and nice colour etc - there are PLENTY of vans out there, and if you are unsure because it needs body or chassis work - walk away. There WILL be another van that will suit you.

Contact some of the dealers on here for a import project around your budget - you may well get a solid rust free van with a little TLC/Interior work needed - BUT with a solid base, and you can bling him up and lower as YOU see fit, rather than someone else idea of how they want a van to look.

Hope this helps and not to put you off - there are loads of vans about, and one will be right for you.

Cheers!

Alistair

Minor observation but do you have kids?, the reason I ask is that its a converted panel van so will have no seat belt mounts in the rear at all, not impossible to overcome just more things to add to the list.

Depending on the work it needs I'm not sure how much of a good deal it is, you could end up spending a couple of grand putting it right.

Not trying to do the hard sell either (thats not how I work) but we have a similar age Westy Crossover due in the middle of August at the same price, its a good base vehicle with no rust and runs and drives well and its got a Westy interior fitted, may just be worth you comparing the 2? see here http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15964" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I agree with Graham, look at both and weigh things up for yourself. For me it would be much easier and cheaper to lower the westy and add a few goodies than it would be to carry out any remedial welding and structural repairs on the blue one.

Oh and that gizmo on the front means you wont have to worry about getting towed home at any time :mrgreen:

Each to their own and all that, and i don't want to slag off anyones bus, but as Graham says, it's a converted panel van and personally i think they look awful, i really don't like those side windows. As you say you're new to buses, just compare the side windows to those of say a westy (the one in Grahams link perhaps :lol: ) with proper recessed aperatures and flat glass - One looks right and one doesn't ......but that's just my opinion and doesn't really count for anything :lol:

Don't rush in and buy the first shiney bus you see. Do your research to find out want type of bus you really want/need. If you've already done that and that's the bus you want, cool go for it :D

Its a long drive fella get as many pics and questions answered before you set off to view.....

Personally at that money I'd be wanting to go for a good honest unspoilt bus thats solid but needs tidying and a bit of TLC, something that carries all its scars and imperfections up front.....

but if your going for it 4K..... the bubbling on the panels beneath the windows may prove more severe than you thought especially being a converted panel (was it a home cut or part of a conversion by one of the usual camper cos?)

just noticed the bulkheads have been cut out too and its had a replacement front clip.....

No expert but took a look at the thread e.t.c. and my thoughts....it says "restored 6 years ago" but rust is now bubbling out under windows e.t.c. - to restore a van I'd expect any rust to be cut out/panel replaced? 6 years is a very short time for a decent restoration job to start requiring the work....unless the "restoration" was filler and paint?

Unless I'm putting too much emphasis on "restoration"....the only one I've done involved bare metal and new panels - anything less than that is more of a "refresh" than a resto? perhaps it's me.... :roll:

Hi!

Again, as mentioned above, i dont want to slag off another persons bus - but it's a buyers market, and you need to compare with what else is around for similar money, so I'm gonna have to agree with Graham - a westy for similar money, rust free? mot-ed taxed? looks like it's spent all it's life in cali judging by the plates next to the door? - aside from the painted westy bits - which to be honest - you could strip that paint off the og westy formica if you wanted, and bet it's real nice underneath!? And it'a proper factory conversion, not a panel van with holes cut in it.....

It's a much better deal for a new buyer - knowing nothing is hidden under a 6yrs ago resto, which to be honest that much coming through in that time? Quick spray job and filler if you ask me!
I don't like the look of the underneath - it looks like there could be surprises, aside from the windows and the vent.

I know it's lhd. but it's fine, and way cool anyway - mine's lhd and so are most of the imports as they are solid cali ones, (aside from Scott Wilsons import which are RHD rust free South African ones......)

And getting a bus from a known trader which is rust free, and you will be sorted for years to come - no nasty rusty bodywork lurking for the next MOT!
And I'm sure Graham would be more than happy to advise you on the lowering if you so desire.

By all means go and have a lot at the bus - keep a open mind - there are others - and potentially rust free ones around.
I went to look at a "resto-ed" UK bus for around 7k, very nice interior - but it was a weld over patch up filler and respray job, and that but me off buying a uk bus to be honest - especially as to get a rust free proper resto one realistically is gonna be 10k+

I wish i had seen busses like Grahams one for 5k+ when i was looking a few years back, the prices have dropped a bit, even though the pound has picked up against the dollar a bit, it's not like it used to be. I paid a few grand more than that - but i am very happy with my stock og westy pop top. And still am - and still no rust coming through (though i do need to waxoil it) Mine was a cali bus too. Though originally from Washington DC, ended up 2000 miles away in cali in it's lifetime.

You could spend a little on a import to get it how you want it - right from the start with a good solid honest bus, with no surprises - at the end of the day, you are spending a considerable wedge of your hard earned - buy the best bodywork you can - the interior and looks can be sorted out slowly - just look at how most of the busses in the gallery develop!

Rust is a hell of a lot harder to sort - and can be a ongoing battle.

So as you can see from mine (and the above advice) Though Robins first post summed it up! Though whatever bus you'll get - you'll love it - and you'll spend far to long on earlybay.com..........

All the best,

Alistair

Hi . I must agree with all the advice above. There's not alot og about it which would make me nervous. By comparison Graham's is there for you to see. Don't underestimate what can be hidden by underseal and seam thick seam sealer even if you know where to look, believe me i have learned the hard way. I agree with Alistair, if i had my time again i would be talking to Graham, Scott or the likes.

Good luck

Al

matt-me said:
Hi . I must agree with all the advice above. There's not alot og about it which would make me nervous. By comparison Graham's is there for you to see. Don't underestimate what can be hidden by underseal and seam thick seam sealer even if you know where to look, believe me i have learned the hard way. I agree with Alistair, if i had my time again i would be talking to Graham, Scott or the likes.

Good luck

Al

Though i must mention, it was the lack of a solid rust free rhd uk bus for my budget that made me go import lhd, and i am very glad i did - my bus has been ace, and wouldn't change it for the world, i am very reassured in my van, i did go a little over budget, by about a grand, but add in all the extra welding and grief i would have had, and it more than makes up for it - and i got a really OG bus too, which myself and GF are loving changing it to how WE want!

Regardless of how much you spend, and what you buy in the end and from where - you couldn't meet a better bunch of like minded folk on this forum that you could ever meet! You'll get the best help and advice you'll ever need! ;)

Alistair

havent read all the other posts but looks a bit pricey to me,b pillar repair looks rough,if the rest of the vans like that its not going to be good,u will get a better van for the money i would keep looking bud :mrgreen:

my tuppence worth :mrgreen:

Latest posts