Pristine Buses vs Patina Buses.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velgreeno

Reaction score
Hey folks. Just a matter of interest. Those of you with fully restored shiny pristine buses, how do you feel when owning and driving them ? Do you drive them less or more often and has the mind set of driving totally changed than before you got your bus restored and those with patina buses, do you drive them more because of the less stress with keeping them shiny etc or are you the same as restored bus owners ? 🤙

Last edited:
Just speaking from my point of view. I’ll drive mine whenever so long as it’s got decent road conditions as per ice and salt and stuff and I’ll try to keep him dry as much as poss. Mine is neither Patina’d or Pristine and has scars on him all over which is what started me drawing scars on his scratches etc. I know of at least three different Earlybay owners that spent godzillions on their creations and were then frightened to camp in them because they’d got so ‘Precious’ and understandably too. I’ve got various scratches on mine from kids bikes, people leaning stuff on him etc etc. These peeps eventually sold these wonderful pieces of art on and then created something more liveable as a van even so far as forced patina. Seems if you fashion the Mona Lisa of vans, it’s tough to allow natural wear and tare of your baby.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,I’m sposed to be making some muddy flaps for him too :rolleyes:

I enjoy seeing all aircooled VWs whether pristine or patina, & everything inbetween, lowered or lifted.

I'd still love an original paint/patina VW thats drivable, wears its history & scars, because i think its more rarely seen generally in classic cars. I notice that many other UK classics seem to be bog standard & immaculate, without the cool variety in style & condition we enjoy in the VW community.

When we decided to put our money into a Bay i'd done my homework so that it had to be an early, it made more sense to buy one that was fairly freshly sorted as we have no space to do a restoration. Having a nice hygienic interior was a priority, which many patina VWs lack.

We'd checked out a few duds & went for one that had a bare metal repaint based on a 100% solid californian import. Its owner wasn't that into VWs so hardly used it since completion 2-3 years, but had got mates rates on having the work done by a longstanding VW owner in the North east who trades on word of mouth rather than advertising. We saw all the baremetal pics so had confidence it was a good bus for us.
However i now think the previous owner didn't always have it stored away indoors as he'd been told, & a leaking front screen seal we found early on in our ownership has seen water sitting in the screen channel & we have dreaded blebs starting to appear along the screen base, so too at the bottom of the front panel directly beneath the worst ingress point, & a mystery bit turning up on the offside B-post.

All these were perfect bare metal in the images i've got from 2021 (defo same bus), but i have to rationalize that it can all be put right in due course, & to embrace the aging process & enjoy owning a 50+yr old VW.

If anything i notice all the little imperfections more on our bus, compared to if it were OG paint with dings etc that are just a given feature
I cringe when i hear stone chips hitting the front panel by every car that overtakes & throws up road centre grit & we did bottom out our front cab step & apron lower edge turning onto a car park ramp as shes a bit lowered.

But I'm reassured when i do jobs underneath & see how solid all the chassis still looks, it just was cleaned, additional coats of tough paint added then clear waxed.