problems with ebay purchase! Any advice please?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary71bay

Reaction score
I have just received an early engine lid which I won on an ebay auction which was described as rust free and having a small dent near the housing for the number plate light. Upon receiving it it was clear that it is far from rust free, all though it is not horrendous there are a couple of areas where the rust on the edge is penetrating through the outer skin on the front. Also the small dent is quite substantial and also has twister the hole where the light fitting would go. You can see somebody has tried knocking it out already and stopped as it probably wouldn't be able to be sorted. I have emailed the seller and im awaiting his response. In the meantime does anybody know what options I may have to get this sorted because in all honesty I have paid the bast part if £120 for one which isn't much better than the one I'm using at the moment.

eBay has its own procedures that you can follow to help resolve problems such as this.
I would spend some time looking through their help section and community section to familiarise yourself with them.
If you contact the seller, remain polite but firm, give them the opportunity to help resolve the issue.

vwed said:
eBay has its own procedures that you can follow to help resolve problems such as this.
I would spend some time looking through their help section and community section to familiarise yourself with them.
If you contact the seller, remain polite but firm, give them the opportunity to help resolve the issue.

That's pretty much exactly what I did. I basically explained that I don't believe that the engine lid has been accurately described as it is certainly not rust free. However I understand that everybody's idea of a small dent is going to be differant as this is down to the individuals perception therefore I am willing to give the benefit of doubt with the dent. I would rather sort it out amicably without the need to use the ebay police. I appreciate it is difficult without seeing the engine lid but roughly what sort of value would you put on it. Perhaps I can negotiate a partial refund. Thanks for the help

send many emails to buyer to resolve it, ebay will side with you if keep talking to him, at te end of te day give some time then give it to ebay to fix for you.
gary

And don't send any abusive emails. Ebay looks at the communication history when resolving a case.

I had a couple some time ago so it might have changed but last time i did this you just do an item as not described in the resolution center. if you can't agree just leave the case open and after 90 days your money will automatically come back.

I refused to pay returns postage as it's not my fault they lied. If the seller doesn't agree to that you get your money back after 90 days anyway whether you send the item back or not. It's automated ebay don't even read it

and they can't even leave bad feedback for a buyer :lol:

Beauty of eBay is it's scripted resolution and buyer protection - I would log it as not as described and open a case, they should at least earn their fees ;) - it's exactly this situation that eBay is intended for, you are not buying something for cash in an unregulated place (like a pub car park) where if you believe the deal wasn't fair you have no recompense - there are rules to describe items so people can't embellish condition

you explicitly mention it described as rust free?, it's not and that should have been obvious to the seller, either they didn't think or chose to ignore the minor rust to get a better price for it than they might have expected had the listing been honest about the condition - you also state no photographs? If this is the case then doubly suspicious - I would assume the seller was trying it on in the hope you would not want to kick up a fuss

If it was a genuine mistake then the seller has learnt a lesson - eBay rules clearly state that you must describe the item condition accurately - "Rust Free" means no rust, at all - open the case already :)

Open the case as item not as described. I wouldn't ask for partial refund, because you would appear to be 'trying it on' asking for a discount; either you like it or you don't.

You might have to return the item, so make sure that is is sent with a signature on delivery. I tried to return a pair of jeans once after they wern't as described and she refused to accept the package and I was stuck with them. So follow the instructions in the resolution centre. I would arrange for him to have it collected by courier from your door. He could possibly loose his selling privileges after this 'defect' on his account.

monkiboy said:
I just wanna put in a second point of view........

There is an old say, Let the buyer beware!

I am guessing there were pictures of the mentioned engine lid in the original ebay listing....

if there was ANY doubt maybe you should have just left it alone, Especially when buying sheet metal! And if its was SAID to be dented and have minor rust then £120.00 is waaaaaaaay over the top so I would have left it for that reason alone....

I am not trying to be an arsehole... Just putting another point of across :)

if the seller said rust free, should have been rust free :D

How did you pay for the item ? If you used Paypal you need to raise the dispute with them using their online procedure - the good news is that if they decline your claim for a refund you can take the case to the Financial Ombudsman Service for review as Paypal have signed up to voluntary jurisdiction even though they are not UK based. Good luck :)

monkiboy said:
bluenose said:
monkiboy said:

I am guessing there were pictures of the mentioned engine lid in the original ebay listing....

if there was ANY doubt maybe you should have just left it alone, Especially when buying sheet metal! And if its was SAID to be dented and have minor rust then £120.00 is waaaaaaaay over the top so I would have left it for that reason alone....

YES and this is my point....... It doesn't matter what the description "Says" if you can see rust/damage in the PICTURES then maybe think twice......

This is something I have come up against several times.... EVERYONE wants something for noting, They want it to be cheap & second hand but it must be PERFECT oh and its not their fault if something is wrong...... :roll:

YOU brought the item, its not the sellers/ebays fault if you did not check the pictures IN DETAIL....

In your first post you suggest that £120 is way over the top, in your second that people want something for nothing, it to be cheap and perfect, which is it?
Tired of this attitude, you sell something, a service or a product, you sell as described, it's really that simple.

I swear, only in the VW world do people seem to think it's ok to offer and accept shoddy service.

I feel your pain Gary71bay...

monkiboy said:

I would just like to put across my point of view.....

maybe you should be lucky your engine lid turned up (tongue well and truly in cheek) :roll:

I bought an engine lid off another forum over 7 months ago from a well know "scene" trader, and that is still to turn up... not that the paint shop is waiting or anything...

:evil: :evil: :evil:

monkiboy said:
bluenose said:
monkiboy said:

YES and this is my point....... It doesn't matter what the description "Says" if you can see rust/damage in the PICTURES then maybe think twice......

This is something I have come up against several times.... EVERYONE wants something for noting, They want it to be cheap & second hand but it must be PERFECT oh and its not their fault if something is wrong...... :roll:

YOU brought the item, its not the sellers/ebays fault if you did not check the pictures IN DETAIL....

There is a clear difference between wanting something for nothing and failing to advertise an item correctly.

If you are selling an item, be it new or second hand, that has any sort of defect that separates it from what you would expect of a brand new one, these need to be documented. If defects aren't listed or have detailed pictures to show these defects, then the buyer is well within their rights to argue that it isn't as described. It doesn't seem like rocket science to me.

How about we stop the bickering? The OP has some advice to go on. Its his issue and I hope he gets a resolution, but fighting over it on here won't help anyone.

Latest posts