Problems with High Beam and reverse lights

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westbay

Reaction score
Just changed the headlights to UK spec and done the front indicators, all lights work apart from high beam, any ideas on what to look for, the Bentley manual suggests the high beam relay that is connected to the back of the fuse box? if its this is it an easy part to replace.

Question on the reverse lights, there are 2 wires to the gearbox, one goes to the lights but the other is cut off just inside the engine bay, i believe this should be the power cable as i found an inline fuse holder in the box of bits that came with the van with the same colour and guage wire and i have seen pictures of engine bays where this fuse holder is clamped onto the tinware next to the coil. not sure why its been cutoff, does this connect direct to the positive (via fuse) of the battery?

The reverse light live wire connects to the positive ignition coil connector and you use an in line fuse.You'll know if it's on the wrong connector as the engine will stall when you put it in reverse ;)

Do you hear a click from a relay on the fusebox when you operate the high beams? It could be the relay itself if the fuses,bulbs and wiring to them are ok.You will need to move the fusebox a bit to get to the relay.It may even be possible to strip it apart and clean it up and fix the relay.Or it could be the switch itself or the wiring from teh switch to the relay.It's best to work from a wiring diagram using a multi meter to work out whats not working.Does the bentley manual have wiring diagrams in it?

VWAIRCOOLED said:
The reverse light live wire connects to the positive ignition coil connector and you use an in line fuse.You'll know if it's on the wrong connector as the engine will stall when you put it in reverse ;)

Do you hear a click from a relay on the fusebox when you operate the high beams? It could be the relay itself if the fuses,bulbs and wiring to them are ok.You will need to move the fusebox a bit to get to the relay.It may even be possible to strip it apart and clean it up and fix the relay.Or it could be the switch itself or the wiring from teh switch to the relay.It's best to work from a wiring diagram using a multi meter to work out whats not working.Does the bentley manual have wiring diagrams in it?

Yes there is a wiring diagram in the book but its like one of those books you get as a kid when you have to follow the line to the centre of the maze :?

Try having a look at these,they're in colour at least.Check you've got the signal coming to the relay from the switch first.I believe it should give an earth trigger when you flash the switch.If thats ok and the relay doesn't click then either the relays faulty or theres something dodgy going on with the wiring.

http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VWAIRCOOLED said:
Try having a look at these,they're in colour at least.Check you've got the signal coming to the relay from the switch first.I believe it should give an earth trigger when you flash the switch.If thats ok and the relay doesn't click then either the relays faulty or theres something dodgy going on with the wiring.

http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thanks for the info, the wiring diagrams on the link are actually the bentley ones that someone has copied, at least they are better than the black and White rubbish in the haynes manual

will have another crack at it tomorrow as need to get it mot'd Monday if it's not sorted by then then I will have to get the garage to sort it as need to register it with dvla before end of next week due to insurance

Sorted the high beam problem, it turned out to be a loose/detached ground wire in the indicator stalk switch, works fine now ive soldered it back on.

Latest posts