PURCHASING A LAPTOP HELP ...........PLEASE !

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crede999

Reaction score
Hi im after a laptop for my daughter shes saved up £425 and wants a laptop , heres a list of her requirements

its got to be white !!! I KNOW LOL
be able to do basic word , pubisher and powerpoint,
she wants it to be good for games ie world of warcarft,
good internet and a big old memory

if anyone can help i would be very grateful as ive had a look on internet and its a mine field !!

oh one last thing she doesnt want a DELL !!

MANY THANKS

CHRIS

crede999 said:
be able to do basic word , pubisher and powerpoint,
Most computers will be able to do this as these programs don't particularly stress the computer. If you want the Microsoft versions then you will have to pay. You'll probably get a 60 day trial version with any computer but you have to pay after that period. You can get these programs cheaper if you have children in education or if you work in education. Its called an accademic licence.

There is also a free package called open office with is a free download from http://www.openoffice.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. This will have most of what you want without you having to pay a penny!!

Also if you buy from John Lewis you get good pricing and a two year warranty.

don't rule out a netbook mate,about the third of the size as a lap top so may be beter for her to handle but I'm far from a computer wizard.
there is someone on here who deals with them but can't remember who.

Think DELL are doing nice notebooks and laptops for a decent price where you can choose your design and the spec is pretty good also.

This would be mu choice http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&kc=HDP&l=en&m_30=321942&oc=N0054504&rbc=N0054504&s=dhs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; This design is called bunch o surfers........ 8)

Good luck

Samsung do a NC20 in White with decent RAM and Memory, think its about 380 quid and should do the job, failing that keep on the lookout for a 2nd hand Macbook

Trying to redeem myself!

I should go now...........taxi!

For another £50 you could get a nice Vaio.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/9818669/Sony-VAIO-NS30-E-W-Pentium-Dual-Core-T4200-2-0GHz-3GB-250GB-DVD-SM-15-4-Vista-Home-Premium-Laptop-Notebook-White/Product.html?ptsl=1&ob=Price&fb=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or...

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/13569017/Sony-VAIO-EB1-E0E-WI-Core-i3-330M-2-13GHz-3GB-320GB-DVD-SM-15-5-Windows-7-Home-Premium-64-Bit-Laptop-Notebook-White/Product.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I LOVE my Vaio, had it 2 1/2 years and it's still as good as the day I bought it. My brother has bought one last year, and it seems to be perfect too.

I'd certainly buy another :)

i have a samsung N220 its tiny but powerful, beautiful litte PC but has its limitations due to size.

regarding the gaming... you really need to get a laptop with a decent graphics card or onboard graphics if you want to play WOW, i used to run a guild and played alot, but my laptop, although high spec, was never up to the job.

Go for the laptop with the most powerful graphics you can afford. i think Dell do gaming spec laptops that are fairly decent but i doubt you'll get all that and in white.

My wife does have her 14" iBook forsale, loaded with CS3 and Word 2007 and alot of other goodies. If your after a mac drop me a PM.

Macs are soooo nice, a little expensive but worth every penny.

Twiggy

I agree with Twiggy, dont even think about windows, they arent worth the hassle, get her to save abit more and buy a lovely apple macbook 13" in white, or you could also buy second hand, all apple items are top quality items, just look at the ipod touch, and the iphone for example, all of which i own and have never had a problem with any of them, what more than i can say about Microsoft Windows. Take a look at the link http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/,

I also agree with Twiggy, i have had IMACs for over 12 years with on problems, also got a macbook now with no virus problems works out cheaper in the long run. I have never bought any virus protection.

I didn't think sony Done a nice Vaio :lol: :lol: :lol: APPLE MACS ALL DAY LONG, hassle free, Virus free, if you get a mac you can spend more time on the early bay forum, due to lack of probelms and virus's, happy days

Well i guess this is blatant advertising but its going cheap considering there's £2Ks worth of software on it and its running the latest version of snow leopard OS X, its hardly used anymore as we have a nice shiney quad core 27" iMac.

Its going on ebay if there no interest, the only downside is it needs a new battery, but you can get these for around £50. ill throw in a crumpler crippy bag worth about £70 as well.

stevefhot said:
I have never bought any virus protection.
I guess I'm in the minority here as I prefer a PC. :oops: But there are a number of good and free anti virus applications out there...so I've never bought AV either.

I think that there is a false sense of security in the mac world as there is always the posibility of a virus. But clearly most viruses are aimed at windows.

I slightly disagree. Microshaft are advertising Internet Exploder 8 in the news papers. The advert states that whilst your browsing 'the' webpage IE8 has blocked 1000 malware attacks.

Mac users don't worry about malware attacks like pc users do. A bit of rubbish advertising if you ask me. Why would you want to advertise that you are under attack 100 times per webpage opened, what does that say about the product?

Yes, macs are not 100% safe against a virus attack, it's just that the idiots that make the them go after windows users. I've never heard (touch wood) of a mac having a virus problem.

Baldrick said:
stevefhot said:
I have never bought any virus protection.
I guess I'm in the minority here as I prefer a PC. :oops: But there are a number of good and free anti virus applications out there...so I've never bought AV either.

I think that there is a false sense of security in the mac world as there is always the posibility of a virus. But clearly most viruses are aimed at windows.

I work in a windows and Mac environment, (primarly Mac) Mac desktops and Windows servers. I look after about 100 power macs and 40ish iMacs, i like the new windows 7 alot but i can honestly say in the four years ive been here i have never seen one single virus on any of our macs. We transfer hundreds of thousands of files back and forward a month from external agengies in house.

We have about 600 staff using Win xp and the whole system was taken out before christmas with that conficker virus, it took us 3 weeks to weed it out completely.

Im 50/50 split on OS's but for ease of maintenance and use, the mac platform wins hands down, for applications and value for money Windows wins hands down as obviously its more established.

Latest posts