Quartz clock repair tip

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nigel

Reaction score
Picture added...04/07

Further to my post 'Veglia Quartz Clock' - having had no joy with a repair to the original mechanism I hit the internet to find alternatives...

To cut a longish story short I replaced the old quartz mechanism with a modern quartz movement.

Eventually found http://www.agtshop.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; a horological supplier and bought:-

Ref: M496 Mini Quartz Movement for Push on Hands
Ref: H346 Black Metal Hands (Min hand - 24mm, Hour hand - 18mm)
Ref: B706 battery

Total cost £11.26 inc delivery. I ordered on Friday morning, it arrived the next day.

The mechanism attaches to the clock using a centre fixing screw and metal collar which needed me to widen the centre hole on the clock face by a mm or two - I used a dremel with a cone shaped sander for that - slowly does it...

The mechanism is round and 52.5mm in diameter - it fitted neatly within the clocks frame without any modification.

Once the mechanism was attached I fitted the hands - needed a bit of patience for that.

As a finishing touch I painted the hands white and the brass collar black to match the clock face and reinstalled the clock.

I now have a working clock that looks like the old one but works better than it did! :D

Cheers, Nigel

ps I know I'm talking to seasoned owners but if attempting this do disconnect your battery - I didn't, hidden cost of £250 to repair the damage I caused by that error :oops:

th_clock001.jpg