Quietest method for grinding welds?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frisco69

Reaction score
I've upset the neighbours this weekend with all the grinding I've been doing whilst replacing the lower panel on the bay.

Can anyone recommend a suitable tool that is much quieter than a typical angle grinder. Obviously the grinding itself is noisy but if I can reduce the noise levels somewhat I may get this panel finished without taking the van to a garage to be completed.

Anything quicker than a file will be a bonus. :)

Matt.

try to dampen the panel by stuffing an old duvet/blanket on the inside, careful of fire risks though of course, the front panel acts like a drum.

flap discs are also quite effective, not necessarily quieter, but I find the 40 grit ones very quick to reduce proud welds......in fact I hardly ever use a solid disc anymore, they do last longer but vibrate and are noisy....... :?

I understand your pain Matt - I had to send mine off to get finished for exactly the same reason. The muffling behind the panels sounds like a good idea though

cant you drop some of those ear plugs through the letter box.

To be honest ive tried air tools with grinding bits, normal grinding disks and flap wheels and they are all pretty much the same, its more the noise of the tool rather than the grinding.

I know when doing a front panel its not really a job you wanna leave half way though so as long as its a one off im sure they'll understand.

Nugsy said:
as long as its a one off im sure they'll understand.

This particular neighbour is a right old battle axe. She's alway's phoning the council to complain about something or someone. I have a friend of a friend that works for the council and they are fed up with her but she is right about the noise I was making and I don't want to upset my other neighbours.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I've remembered we have a variable speed grinder at work which is quieter than a standard one so I'll ask if can borrow that and try some sanding discs rather than grinding discs.

I'm sure the old battle axe is gonna report me though. I couldn't get a word in edge ways with all the shouting, throwing her arms in the air and stamping her feet so I told her to bugger off and fired up the grinder again. :lol:

I use this for grinding back welds with a 60 grit to get near finished and 120 grit to just finish off! really quiet in operation, noisiest bit is the compressor! but even so, that's quieter than a 115mm grinder :)
minisander.jpg

Nick-Rackham said:
I use this for grinding back welds with a 60 grit to get near finished and 120 grit to just finish off! really quiet in operation, noisiest bit is the compressor! but even so, that's quieter than a 115mm grinder :)
minisander.jpg

Where did you get that from Nick and what make is it? We have similar ones at work but they're quite loud!

I got some softer grinding wheels today that'll fit on a spindle which fits a cordless drill. Gonna try these in a mo'.

Frisco69 said:
Nick-Rackham said:
minisander.jpg

Where did you get that from Nick and what make is it? We have similar ones at work but they're quite loud!

I got some softer grinding wheels today that'll fit on a spindle which fits a cordless drill. Gonna try these in a mo'.

Picked it up from ebay for 20 quid! it's a sealey 50mm mini sander. Really quiet compared to an electric grinder, and has the benefit of variable speed, light to use, flexible for blending corners and profiles. I love it :D

People talking about flap discs, are you on about the old style ones with the backing plate and the discs are just flat? If so, these are much quieter (and loads quieter than a grinding stone)
5a37c30201aea5bc862b78e47fc824f4.image.400x290.jpg

I thought you could make noise after 9am and before 8pm anyway, and is she has a problem she can kiss your swingers and legally your in the clear?

ProfessorWheeto said:
People talking about flap discs, are you on about the old style ones with the backing plate and the discs are just flat? If so, these are much quieter (and loads quieter than a grinding stone)
5a37c30201aea5bc862b78e47fc824f4.image.400x290.jpg

I thought you could make noise after 9am and before 8pm anyway, and is she has a problem she can kiss your swingers and legally your in the clear?

yes those are the ones /\ shown in pic.......I do have ones that are similar to a DA sanding disc that can attach to my grinder with a hard backing, but tend to stick to the flap discs.........

Thanks Nick, I'll keep a look out for one of those then.

The softer grinding wheels were useless. We use them at work on stainless steel at high speed and they're great but no good for this application unfortunately.

On the plus side a large medium fine file worked surprisingly well and I could actually complete the job using this if I have to. I have a coarse file at work that I'll try which may be quicker.

I cant offer any suggestions other than the flappy disks above but i do feel your pain...

Years ago before I had a workshop I restored a bus on my dads driveway...until the neihbours ganged up and kicked off big time :evil:

I had to trailer it to my brothers drive for a few weeks till his neihbours kicked off as well!

then on to a mates drive, and so on...... :roll:

Took me 8 months of grinding, moving, grinding moving :lol: :lol:

best advise has got be look for a cheap workshop to rent if you have got a full resto to do

:)

dubs and classics said:
I cant offer any suggestions other than the flappy disks above but i do feel your pain...

Years ago before I had a workshop I restored a bus on my dads driveway...until the neihbours ganged up and kicked off big time :evil:

I had to trailer it to my brothers drive for a few weeks till his neihbours kicked off as well!

then on to a mates drive, and so on...... :roll:

Took me 8 months of grinding, moving, grinding moving :lol: :lol:

best advise has got be look for a cheap workshop to rent if you have got a full resto to do

:)

Hi dubs and classics,
Fortunately it's just the front windscreen channel and lower inner and outer plus a small area around one of the rear windows. It's a cali import so very solid but I've had it four years and been too busy to repair it and decided it has to be done now before the winter comes.

I use the van all year round aswell so couldn't leave it any longer and need it for my hols in october. I think it's about time I started a thread in the gallery.

Matt.