RAC/AA/Green Flag What are your thoughts?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanleyboy

Reaction score
Now I know that the early bay is a wonderful piece of engineering and it is highly unlikely to breakdown, but on the rare occasion that a breakdown occurs and you are not able to carry out a roadside repair, who do you think is the best recovery service?

Just had a look on the web and currently the RAC on line cost for motorhome roadside + recovery is £142 which includes a 1 year membership to camping and caravan club (£41).

Do you think we need to have motorhome cover? as our wee campervans are not any bigger than most cars/vans.

RAC seem to be one truck all the way home,

AA seem to be catchment area's so will take you so far dump you and wait for another truck to take you the rest of the way.

My personal experience.

Alex VW Heritage said:
RAC seem to be one truck all the way home,

AA seem to be catchment area's so will take you so far dump you and wait for another truck to take you the rest of the way.

My personal experience.

Had friends have the same experience as well :?

So rac for me too, and I use my tesco club card points to get it so all the better 8)

Most 'classic car' insurance policies have recovery as part of the package. Worth doing the maths. I've had to use it quite a bit, usually it's the nearest independent recovery company to your place of breakdown.

As alex said , AA dumped me after my suspension failed i had to wait an hour at services then it took independant recovery nearly two hours to get me on his truck . Then ages to get me to my destination ,

RAC = ACE 8)

I have had a few bad experiences with the AA recently too, the worst where I had to wait 2 1/2 hours on the side of the M26 back in freezing February with both my kids, ages 16months and 4, and this was being treated as a priority case.

When the recovery contractor arrived, he took us to Clacket lane services, we had a look at the bus, decided it was too broken to fix, he said he could take us home just had to phone it in (we live only 40 miles away in Brighton).

The AA said no, they would send one of there own trucks.... another 2 1/2 hours later, another contractor turned up to take us home. 6 1/2 hours in total to go 45 miles. The kids where going crazy. I have been with the AA 10 years, and only had to use them recently, not going to renew again this year.

I can get RAC through my bank account now so going to give them ago if need breakdown again.

RAC for me to, not used them for the camper yet but got recovered from newquay to derby, 6 hours on one truck (Vauxhall nova :oops: ). Can't really fault them in waiting times either and I used to use them quite a lot

RAC for me. AA do have catchment areas and will use a tag team to get you home. Once called green flag out, then managed to get my camper started(sticking starter) within 10 mins of my call. Rang green flag back and cancelled call-out before they arrived(or prob left depot)! Went to renew and they increased premium by a lot! They classed my call out, even tho they never turned up as a real call-out to increase my renewal. So stick with RAC is my advice :D Also, if you shop at Tesco, you can use your Clubcard points to buy!

I'm RAC but they will also only take you so far then you transfer to another vehicle. When the turbo went on the daily a couple of years back they recovered me to an approved repairer and paid 10% of the repair bill to save the cost of recovering me home. RAC for me :D

Yep RAC for me too . Broke down in the beetle once ( well more then once but that's another story ) it was the fuel pump so RAC guy drove me home to take the pump off my buggy returned back to the beetle fitted the pump and then followed me back to my place In case I broke down again . Granted it was only 2 miles from home but I think he went out of his way to help .

Can't fault them so far

Think its luck of the draw on which patrol member you get in which area. We dont call on break down often however I feel when you do its important they do their job.

we were with AA for a good few years no real issues. I was a student then and they were always great even with the crap i drove. if they were late they would call and were never more than a few hours worse one ever was a brake down on RTTS weekend!. I only left to go with RAC as at the time was included with insurance.

we were with them for a good few years, however we left them after the 3rd breakdown in 4 yrs when their service was terrible.

events were
1) Broke down with my motorbike, i knew it was furbar, i need recovery, took 2 hours for someone to come, then tell me it needed recovery, recovery took a further 9 hours! turned out that once RAC is done for day at 8pm the sub out the work, subs can accept the call then reject it if then done like it and its passed around.
2) Non start, took them 90 mins to arrive spent 10 mins there done little, i needed recovery, 4 hours later recovery came again a sub, took a look at the car gave changed a fuse gave the fuel pump a knock started the car and sent me home.
3) brand new baby in car wife get a problem on a road miles from anywhere. was told it was priority my dad drove 50 miles to here and still no sign of rac. this was a mid week middle of the day effort.

went back to AA after that! we have had a break down twice in 2 yrs. alternator broke on the bay and timing chain tensioner on the motorbike both times they arrived promptly wer coutious, the bike needed recovery so he helped me park it safe drove me to a near cafe and i pitched up there as recovery was going to take 1 hour.

hth

Whatever you sign up for - try going through quidco first (I'll refer you if you're not a member). We got £80 cashback for signing with the RAC last year! Not bad considering we were going to do it anyway! :D

I'm with autoaid. It's about £40 to cover me and my wife in whatever vehicle we're in. I used it once on my motorbike and loads on my previous late bay! It's a network of local recovery firms so the service varies, but you could call out any recovery service you want. The way it works is you still pay out for the recovery / repairs / hotels on your own credit card then claim it back afterwards. They have been really prompt at sending me the check no questions asked after each breakdown. I think I've had about £1000 back from my two years membership!

I just hope i don't get so much use in the future! I can not overstate what a bargain this service is. It's not for everyone because of course you need to have the means to pay for recovery when you break down. And you've got to remember to fill in the claim form within a few weeks of the event.

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

I dont want this to turn into an AA bashing thread but..... :roll:

I broke down on the way home from Bristol Volksfest, my alternator pulley decided to part ways with itself and shatter!
The AA arrived and took me to....Michael wood services (M5)
Then a bloke came out to asses the damage (bear in mind i told the lady on the phone, unless he has a spare pulley i need a tow home)
So truck no 2 arrived and took me to.....strensham services (M42)
Then truck no 3 finally turned up and took me home,

Needless to say i was right p****d off.

The staff all seem helpful and generally very friendly, It looks as though the service is just a bit crap!

To those who have cherished vehicle insurance, has anyone taken out the breakdown cover? Its £24 p/a and covers europe.

strutt said:
I dont want this to turn into an AA bashing thread but..... :roll:

I broke down on the way home from Bristol Volksfest, my alternator pulley decided to part ways with itself and shatter!
The AA arrived and took me to....Michael wood services (M5)
Then a bloke came out to asses the damage (bear in mind i told the lady on the phone, unless he has a spare pulley i need a tow home)
So truck no 2 arrived and took me to.....strensham services (M42)
Then truck no 3 finally turned up and took me home,

Needless to say i was right p****d off.

The staff all seem helpful and generally very friendly, It looks as though the service is just a bit crap!

To those who have cherished vehicle insurance, has anyone taken out the breakdown cover? Its £24 p/a and covers europe.

Another hammer for the AA here... their thing seems to be to use multiple trucks, which just makes the whole process longer and often incurs lengthy detours. I've had enough of them and will be binning them upon expiry. They're knobs.

I'm with Carole Nash which includes AA cover. Used it a few times .... Been fine.

However, just gad my AA renewal for daily car, I have personal cover (any car) for me and partner plus parts and labour cover. Renewal is £298 and that includes an owners club discount!!! So it's either get on the phone and negotiate it down again or look elsewhere.

I have AA cover through my insurance with Carole Nash, I also have AA cover with my works van, i have to say they have always got to me within an hour, except once when we had heavy snow and they were rushed off their feet. My Father uses Green Flag for his Motor home [ Hes 81 and still camping ! ] Hes broken down twice, once they brought the motorhome all the way from Lancashire to Essex.... Unlike the AA who he "used" to use until they got him home after 3 changes of recovery truck ! Guess thats why they call it AA Relay...Pass the Batton.
Stiil they did get him home, my view is any form of recovery is better than none, because if you dont have any cover you will get stung if you need to call someone out.

Latest posts